OK, big news for Michael and a couple of others. Aaron finally sat down and figured out how to make a flash drive of the entire blog. It does involve some expense for us, buying the program that makes it happen smoothly, purchasing the flash drives, Aaron’s time to do the work, and shipping. The biggest variable is the flash drive itself. We could get an inexpensive one, or something more robust. Aaron thinks a nice one is Amazon’s Verbatim ToughMax (USB 2.0, withstands 5000 lbs pressure, temperatures from sub-freezing to above boiling, and water resistant to 100 feet). It runs about $7. Or we could go with something inexpensive. Now we have to gauge interest.
The flash drive will have all the articles on the blog through December 31, 2024. As some of you have noted, I have deleted the repeat posts. When choosing which posts to delete, I always chose those that didn’t have comments, or whose comments didn’t contain valuable information. There were a few times when both posts contained good comments, and in those cases I copied the comments and pasted them in as a comment on the post I retained.
The blog articles will not be edited. I don’t have time for that. What you see on the blog is what you’ll see on the flash drive.
I know that commenting on these posts is a hassle. You are welcome to email me at prepschooldaily@gmail.com. As you may recall, Aaron was laid off four months ago and has not found another job yet. We are not in a position to buy flash drives just in case someone might want some. So we’ll probably have some kind of pre-ordering arrangement. Aaron will get a store set up so that you can order online.
Questions? Ask away in the comments below or email me. Now on to the yogurt.
‘Tis the season of pumpkin everything. Banners at the gas stations proclaim the arrival of pumpkin spice latte. When I worked at the ice cream shop during high school we served pumpkin pie ice cream—it made the most divine milkshakes. I greatly prefer pumpkin ice cream pie to the more traditional offering, but sadly, haven’t had a slice in years. And we love pumpkin bread and pumpkin waffles, perhaps a little too much.
One of the unfortunate discoveries my family made several years ago involved Noosa yogurt. I say unfortunate because it was expensive even then with a good-paying job. Now? It costs about triple what I originally paid for it, and the salary-well, you know where it is.
And one of their favorite flavors was pumpkin. I’ve been able to duplicate the creaminess of the vanilla flavor here at home, and I came across a recipe for a pumpkin Noosa copycat I’ve been wanting to try. And I know many will think that such a recipe is taking food storage cooking a little too far. There’s no need to go all-out. People will be happy to have anything to eat in a crisis. It’s something I would have said and believed myself many years ago. Sure, if that crisis lasts only a couple of weeks. But if it goes on for months on end? Years? Most people need variety. They’ll need the tasty, attractive food that inspires good morale, especially when times are tough.
Pumpkin Noosa Copycat
48 oz vanilla Greek yogurt
Pumpkin Swirl
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
¼ cup corn syrup (for the smoothest yogurt) or sugar, honey, or maple syrup
2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature (make it from yogurt)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
In a small bowl, beat the pumpkin swirl ingredients together until smooth. This mixture will store for up to one week in the refrigerator.
For a quick breakfast, swirl 3 tablespoons of the pumpkin mixture into 1 cup of yogurt. For a special presentation, alternate layers of yogurt and the pumpkin swirl in a clear glass jar and top with a sprinkle of granola.
Family reviews: Ellie, eight months pregnant and happy to have Aaron making breakfast for her this weekend, said it tasted very much like Noosa, except it needed a little more sugar. Aaron still says it’s not close enough to store-bought. Ugh. Me: I love it!
Links to related posts:
7 dollar drive seems reasonable plus more for your time and costs. Would be foolish to use a 1 dollar drive that might fail.
ReplyDeleteThe $7 drive sounds great, and your readers will buy it! Please make sure to figure in enough to make a profit. You have given so much of your time free to us over the years, your articles are priceless to so many.
ReplyDeleteThis was the 1st year I grew pie pumpkins, anticipating lots of puree. We suffered a drought, then a fragile well. Everything we grew was mini size. Went to an Amish farm to get a few, then a local store put them on sale for 50 cents. Ended up with 12. Just finished getting my puree done Saturday. Pies on Thanksgiving were heavenly! Excited to try your recipes. -M-
I would be interested in more robust option when Canada post actual gets off their butts and starts actually working for once
ReplyDeleteExile1981
Survival blog does this. I've purchased one every time its offered. Err around 30.00. Well worth it. I want one from you. Alvin Maine
DeleteI would be interested. $7 for a more robust thumb drive is a good idea, and of course the additional for your time, costs, and profit.
ReplyDeleteI would buy one, too!
ReplyDeleteI would buy one. If you want us to pay in advance, that would be fine. Let us know how to pay.
ReplyDeleteYes please!
ReplyDeleteYes, would definitely buy the flash Drive! $7 one sounds best
ReplyDelete