The
following image is a garden plan issued by the state of Illinois
sometime during World War II. I shamelessly copied the image which was
posted at Last Stand on Zombie Island
and reposted on a forum I frequent. I'm just going to assume that this
is something that really was promoted by the state of Illinois at the
time.

So what do you think as you review this early infographic? My first thoughts:
- There aren't any potatoes. Maybe potatoes were one crop that was plentiful and still shipping everywhere. Maybe they just didn't grow well in Illinois, but that doesn't seem likely.
- I've never even eaten parsnips, rutabagas, collards, or turnips.
- I loathe radishes, but I have seeds for them. Radishes are the earliest crops to reach maturity, which can be really important in times of scarcity.
- I also don't like head lettuce. Much prefer leaf lettuce. Of course, there is no way to preserve either of these.
- I'm not very fond of beets, either. Or lima beans.
- Where are the melons, cucumbers, and squash?
- No corn or strawberries?
- No garlic?
Maybe there was a second page, but I doubt it.
Rule
#1: Never rely on the government. Of course, if you're reading this
blog, you already know that rule. I'm seriously disturbed that
long-keeping sources of vitamins and calories like winter squash and
potatoes are not included in the above garden plan. Using that plan as a
guideline, families would have two dozen different types of vegetable
seeds on their shopping list and think they must have covered all the
bases. But several of those vegetables can only be eaten fresh--not
canned, not frozen, and definitely not stored for the long term. None
are high in calories.
Rule #2: Learn from history. This plan was written for a time when most domestic production crops and the resultant canned goods was destined for supporting the troops in the war efforts overseas. Because gasoline and tires were also rationed, there just wasn't the means to transport fresh produce to grocery stores. We got a taste test of rationing and short supplies last year. What happens with a much more serious crisis?
Rule #3. Be adaptable.
The above garden plan assumes that families will be canning their
excess produce. However, as we saw last year, canning lids disappeared
from store shelves. They still haven't returned. Amazon has a lot of
sellers offering canning lids for pretty reasonable prices.
Unfortunately, most of them are coming from our friends in China, and
the reviews aren't great. If you can't can, can you dehydrate?
Rule
#4. Be prepared. Where are you getting seeds? They're plentiful in
my local stores
right now. But as we saw last year, there was a massive run on all
things gardening. There will be again when people panic. Don't rely on
"survival seed vaults." These overpriced package deals generally
contain only open-pollinated seeds. And while being able to save seeds
is an important survival skill, it's not one to rely on in the initial
year of survival gardening. Hybrid seeds will produce much more
reliably, and surviving that first year is essential. Make sure you
have both hybrid and heritage seeds. Keep in mind that open-pollinated
corn tastes a whole lot different from the super-sweet hybrids we buy in
the grocery store. You might want to buy larger quantities of these
hybrid seeds and store them well so that you can eat super sweet corn
for years, rather than being relegated to heirloom corn of previous
generations.
Rule #5. Practice now. Learning what vegetables and varieties grow best in your yard begins now. Become successful with a few essential crops and then add in the foods you and your family love.
Links to related posts:
How to test vegetable seeds for germination
Survival Seed Packages: Good Buy or Goodbye?
Heirloom v. Hybrid Seeds
That is a spring or fall crop.
ReplyDeleteafter learning to actual grow & produce >>> learn the compatible plants (everything hates onions) and what you can trellis to gain garden space by growing vertical
ReplyDeleteI need to do more vertical growing.
DeleteRight now I am letting my carrots, bunching onions, spinach and leaf lettuce go to seed for my supplies. I will be saving my sweet pepper seeds again this year, and I'll save back one or two of my sweet potatoes to grow slips with next year. I'll also be saving any flower seeds I can to bring in pollinators next year
ReplyDeleteI have a copy of a much different one from WW2 and it was sketched out by Natalie Harlan Davis who was the official artist for the NY botanical Gardens. I also found that diagram above on the official Illinois state archives https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/archives/teaching_packages/illinois_at_war/doc10.html
ReplyDeleteIt looks like this plan was designed for city dwellers with no history of previous gardening.
I'll send you the NY V-garden plot plan, I think I have a Canadian one as well.
Exile1981
Thank you so much for your comments. I'll try to add your other images to this post later today.
DeleteThis issue is a bit tangential to the topic, but I'm quite the history devotee and would like to know the answer. Maybe someone can explain the need for Victory Gardens as a "war effort." While millions of Americans in uniform needed to be fed, the TOTAL number of Americans who needed to be fed didn't change.
ReplyDeleteHow did home production of, say, green beans help the war effort? I am fairly confident that soldiers, sailors, and Marines didn't suddently start consuming more green beans when they put on their uniforms.
The only thing that I can think of is that the extra food production at home freed up more commercial production that could then be used to feed our Allies--but we were doing that before these countries became our Allies.
The answer to your question is 4 part.
Delete1) The number needing to be fed didn't change but the calories did. The troops average 2-3 times the calories of people at home.
2) People growing food at home saved fuel and trucking supplies that could be used for the war effort.
,3) We were supplying civilians overseas prewar but see 1 above, the food needed for troops was greater so the production demands went up.
4) millions of farm workers went off to war, so i read the farms lost 7 million workers that would hurt production.
Exile1981
MichaelApril 8, 2021 at 5:55 AM
ReplyDeleteJust remember when you plant hybrids the seeds IF you try to save them will not generate the hoped for next years food crops.
Open pollinated (Aka Heirloom) can sadly be pollenated by the same species plats that are hybrid with AGAIN the not so good results for future crops.
A telling note from history that GOOD quality Seeds were a PRIZED trade item when the former USSR collapsed. I know because I had friends over there that asked me to mail them to them.
Good soil, enough water, GOOD SEEDS and a lot of effort CAN equal good food. Remove any of those factors and you get HUNGRY.
Reply
Replies
JenniferApril 8, 2021 at 6:54 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see vegetable seeds become worth their weight in gold, maybe more. And the skill to grow and save those seeds properly for the next year's crop will also be quite valuable.
Reply
grandeeApril 8, 2021 at 6:35 AM
The idea of planting radish seed with other crops may be used as row markers. Radish seeds come up quicker than, say carrots and make it easy to see where the carrots will be as carrots take a lot longer to germinate.
Also, when planting green beans--plant two seeds together as they "help" each other come up (folding up and opening the soil as they germinate). A blade, such as corn, doesn't need the help.
Reply
Replies
JenniferApril 8, 2021 at 6:47 AM
I totally forgot about radishes being used as row markers. But I still don't like them. Interesting idea on the green beans--I never heard that but I guess it makes sense.
Reply
AnonymousApril 8, 2021 at 9:30 AM
what the chart is good for is to show the staged growing season of each veggie and how to mix for harvesting compatibility and re-seeding for late crops ....
it has definite flaws that shows the author's lack of practical gardening - early spring bedding crops like cabbage and the seeded veggies like spring peas and lettuce all need to be accessable on the garden edges - accessing the entire garden early on isn't always possible ...
and there's no clue there for any verticle gardening with trellices >>>
Reply
LindaGApril 8, 2021 at 10:27 AM
There were a lot of those gardening guides back then. Most have things that even if they grew my family might not or couldn't eat. Hubby doesn't like leaf lettuce. I have a son, while not allergic, can't process potatoes (but will eat them anyway because he likes them).
If I plant corn, it will be to put racoon on the table. ;-)
But I agree with gardening. Hope to be in our new home soon.
God bless.
Reply
AnonymousApril 8, 2021 at 10:51 AM
My garden center (West coast, Canada) is already running short of gardening gloves.
SJ in Vancouver BC Canada
Reply
anonymousApril 8, 2021 at 11:36 PM
I agree with almost everything you wrote, except for buying lots of corn seed. If memory serves-- corn, onions, parsnips, carrots are seeds that aren't viable for years. In that case, you would want heritage varieties and try to save seeds from them so that you'd have fresh seed.