Monday, April 15, 2024

Armageddon Pharmacy...

...is finally done and available for sale on Amazon.

Many days it felt like it would never happen.  The constant research and re-writing are part and parcel to compiling an herbal reference.  I did not bank on the guy I selected to do the formatting introducing more of his own errors into the manuscript and adding in typos along the way.  And then expecting me to correct them.  And messing with the indexing.  And making excuses all along the way for why a project he promised to deliver in two weeks took a full eight weeks.  For the first three deadlines he missed, I agreed to extend the delivery deadline.  I finally realized that these extensions were important to him maintaining a good online image.  When I finally refused to extend the delivery deadline any further, progress magically began.

Anyway, Armageddon Pharmacy covers all the herbal and other natural remedies that have appeared on the blog over the past six years.  The previous three books have basically been lifted directly from the blog, with much blog-gy stuff deleted (because you don't need my family details in your references), while retaining all the information you do need.  Armageddon Pharmacy differs in that I had to go back and do a lot more research.  In the beginning of the blog, I didn't document well because I was only writing for my family and close friends.  Thus I needed to research many of the early herbs in much more depth and document sources.  And then there are the herbs that I researched a bit later after I began documenting better.  And then, when I began compiling the manuscript and had questions, I'd do more digging and find that so much more research had been conducted.  New studies, new findings.  So there was more to add.  All this new material is not on the blog, only in the book.  Maybe someday I will post them back on the blog.  

In addition, the early herb articles weren't standardized at all.  Formatting varied from one herb to the next.  In the book it has all been standardized.  Another thing that differs is that the sources appear as footnotes at the bottom of each page.  I really wanted to organize them in a much more efficient manner, but it just wasn't possible.  In a future edition (if we last that long--I'm not holding my breath!) when the self-publishing programs improve, that will change.  The formatter just wanted me to list the references at the end of each section, but I refused.  When I am researching, I want to know the exact source for each individual fact so that I can check for myself.  I think many of you feel the same.  

I hope you like the cover.  When my family said they didn't like the other covers, I decided to go for a different look.  If you don't like it, let me know, and I'll go with my original guy for the next book.

And finally, Armageddon Pharmacy is a bit more expensive than the other books, and I apologize for that.  It's over 700 pages, so of course it's going to cost more.  

Don't forget to file your tax return.

11 comments:

  1. Ordered! Looking forward to receiving it on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update... I personally like the cover. But I love the content!

      Delete
  2. I saw the picture on the side of your blog post yesterday, gave a cheer, and promptly purchased it. Thanks for putting all that together in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Just ordered my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .ca finally had it up after lunch. Ordered.
    I like the new cover but i'm partial to patterns so sticking with the same style cover would have been nice

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered it! I expect it to be a great addition to my library.

    And, the cover, well, I prefer the "clear and concise" covers of your first three books. :) Thanks for ALL that you do!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this available in print?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an amazing book. I haven't been able to complete all of it, but I love what it offers. It's awesome that all the plants grow in the US and she writes how they are best prepared depending on the ailment. One thing that I did not expect in it were the healing virtues at the end of the book. I love how these are in there as things like forgiveness could be just as effective as some of the herbal remedies described.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This author did her research! There are hundreds if not thousands of footnotes referencing medical and academic journals and even our own government agencies. It amazing how much information is publicly available yet hidden behind bureaucracy. This book won't turn you into 'survivorman' but it will provide you knowledge and skills necessary to turn seemingly ordinary plants and weeds into crucial cures and remedies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book is chock full of meticulously researched herbal medicine remedies. I've read several different herbal remedy type books over the years but this one takes the cake. Other books might mention what the plant is good for but not how to prepare it. Some others promote fantastical healing properties but list no references for me to factcheck for myself. This book is akin to a textbook in the depth and breadth of research and information, but substantially easier to read.

    If you are interested in herbal medicine and don't know where to start, this is honestly a great place to start. This 700+ page book may seem intimidating but it is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Typhus in TEOTWAWKI