As mentioned previously, per Becky’s recommendation, I’ve been re-reading The Great Influenza by John Barry over the past month. The words are all the same, but the lessons I’m learning this time differ greatly.
One of those lessons is one we’re all too familiar with: the people in power refuse to listen to the advisors whose counsel they requested. Because they don’t want to hear it. Because it doesn’t agree with their preconceived ideas. Maybe because the solutions weren’t quick and cheap. The politicians requested the professional recommendations of military and civilian doctors as the US government is preparing to enter World War I, but no one in the upper echelons of the military would listen to them. Unsanitary conditions and overcrowding, among other problems, resulted in so many needless deaths—deaths that could have been avoided if the powers that be were more concerned about doing what’s best as opposed to joining the crowd of politicians and military men looking for easy answers.
When it comes to stocking the family larder, the family heads are the people in power. It’s all up to them. Those planning to travel the “just beans and rice” route, should consider the following:
- Dry beans require a lot of fuel every single time you cook them. Cooking a big batch of beans saves on fuel costs, but require having a way to preserve them—canning, freezing, refrigerating, dehydrating. Do you have a pressure cooker? Or a pressure canner and jars and lids? Do you know how to use them?
- Dry beans are not a quick solution when you are hungry. They can take a few hours from start to finish. (Those living in areas with abundant firewood and water have it easier. Those who must travel to collect firewood and water will have a harder time of it.)
- Without refrigeration, dry beans have to be prepared at every meal. And who is going to tend to them to make sure they don’t burn?
- Even rice takes 20-30 minutes—after you’ve got the fire going or the stove turned on. Of course, you could buy or make your own Minute Rice, but that still takes some fuel.
And finally, there is the very real and frequently dismissed issue of food fatigue. Eating beans day in and day out gets boring after a while. I’ve posted two articles on this topic in the past and recommend a quick review of each. (Links below.) Here’s the 32-word summary of both articles: History shows us that the very young and the elderly will simply quit eating when food fatigue sets in. Experience reveals that soldiers, men fighting hard all day, will do the same. I don’t need the stress of either in my life. How about you?
My personal experience feeding my family from the garden suggests to me that food fatigue is a real issue, just based on the kids getting tired of eating watermelon and corn every day (along with lots of other foods) for a month. It is why I prepare to such a wide extent.
I understand that people in third-world countries are accustomed to having little variety in their meals. I’m not feeding third-worlders. I’m feeding hard-working Americans raised with a phenomenal abundance of food and variety, for better or worse. The American reality is that limiting the family to rice and beans is a sure path to failure.
In no way am I counseling against rice and beans—we store quite a bit of both here. They play an essential role in any food storage plan. However, they’re only a part, and that’s a big part of the message that isn’t penetrating when people scroll through clickbait preparedness articles.
And now I’m wondering why people believe they will be happy with only rice and beans. When beans take so long to prepare, why do they not consider the importance of bread, in all its forms? It can be prepared faster and with less fuel. And it will last longer without refrigeration. Oats are quick also. So are pasta and popcorn. Yes, beans and rice make a complete protein. So do wheat and milk, and they’re cheaper.
We see the same mistakes people made during the COVID mess being repeated as people today fill grocery carts with beans, rice, and maybe some bottled water and vitamins. They didn’t learn from the recent history about the hazards of relying on a limited diet. They and their families will pay the price.
Links to related posts:
while I don't recommend barter/trade as anything to depend on - there is a possibility of trading bulk & stored dry goods type food for other local fresh foods - for example, it would be a negotiated trade of how many eggs or fresh caught fish for a pound of your stored rice ......
ReplyDeleteI've done a lot of work in remote job sites staying in camps. The food tends to be filling but simple with a lot of salt and spicy add ones for flavor. Generally in a 14 day shift there is not a lot of variety and you will see the veggy be the same 2 to 3 nights in a row, usually because camp got a good deal on cases of X veggy. I find after the 2nd night in a row cauliflower steamed i take less because i don't want to eat it as much. On day 3 of a repeat veggy I notice when i toss my waste into the garbage that the amount of waste from everyone not finishing the veggies goes way up.
ReplyDeleteDuring covid grocery trucks often got delayed or shorted so variety got worse. We had a 21 day shift were we had 'maritime mix' 15 nights. At the end no one was eating it and food waste skyrocketed.
Yes people in other countries not have the variety we do but until you mentally shift over to that existence people raised here do not do well living like that.
Exile1981
Jennifer, as you said, people in the Third World are used to having little variety in their meals. Yet, the world for which most of your readers are preparing IS Third World.
ReplyDeleteIt is easy to understand how the pampered condition of Americans developed. Who wouldn't take advantage of and enjoy the benefits of a broad and varied diet? (It helps to explain why Americans of European descent are taller now than, say, 100 years ago.)
As a means of preventing diet fatigue, storing a wide array of food types now is one solution. Canning a wide array of food is not, however, a solution for those who do not have access to property that will produce an abundance of garden bounty--unless, of course, they have found a way in normal times to obtain garden produce at wholesale and, hopefully, at less than wholesale prices.
Nevertheless, people who are unwilling or are incapable of making a transition to a "brave new world" of a bland diet will be subject to Darwinian adaptation factors and they will be culled from the population. Reduced food intake means a less effective immune system. A less effective immune system means greater susceptibility to disease and, in particular, childhood diseases.
As an example, the introduction of potatoes brought back to Europe by conquistador Francisco Pizarro resulted in the greatest population explosion in European history. Fed kids equaled healthier kids, which equaled more kids reaching adulthood.
The grim reality, however, is that while there will be the personal tragedy of their loss, the departure of the elderly who won't eat a bland diet day-after- day may well improve the survival prospects of those who are actually willing to make the transition. This situation probably falls in the category of "unintended consequences."
Agreed on all counts.
DeleteSigh.
ReplyDeleteNobody wants to live on beans and rice. But it beats starving. And both can be stored in large quantities for long periods of time fairly easily. In the past people who lived on such diets supplemented those with meat and fish they hunted and fished for. The massive increase in population means that if a truly huge disaster strikes the human population won't be the only one decimated. Wildlife will be hunted to near extinction and fish will become scarce. Those who can raise and store foods will have an advantage. In many places gardening simply isn't possible large scale. In those places life will be much harder. It's referred to as TEOTWAWKI for a good reason.
ReplyDeletewell said
DeleteIt´s the same John Barry who pushed for a vaccine as the only saviour in an upcoming pandemic!
ReplyDeleteYou need 1600 to 2200 kcal for survival. Publishing on a prepper blog, you should know that. You´re not entitled to have snacks and frozen pizza in an emergency or war situation.
The next article I would like to read is about your 30 days challenge on rice and beans. Get creative!
I read all kinds of sources. It doesn't mean I necessarily agree with everything the person says. There are many lessons to be learned from history, and they aren't always the lessons our betters want us to learn.
DeleteI have no idea where you get the idea that I advocate for a minimal number of calories. Quite the contrary.
I don't think I've ever purchased a frozen pizza. My husband made that mistake once.
I think snacks are critical to morale.
It's my goal to incorporate more beans into my family's diet, but I'm nowhere near doing it on a daily basis. If you want to do a 30 day rice and beans challenge, go for it. I and other readers would love to hear your results. However, I have no intention of embarking on any such endeavor. While I have plenty of rice and a variety of beans, I have stored copious amounts wheat and powdered milk, have provided numerous recipes, and also the reasons why I do so. Ultimately, people need to do what is best for themselves and their families. If it's rice and beans for you, fantastic.
You missed the point: in case of an emergency or war you´ll have to cover your caloric intake from whatever comes your way. Even if it´s only rice and beans. It´s about the mindset.
DeleteI for one did enjoy your article, and it reinforced my thoughts that we are on the right track in our storage. Have wheat and a grinder for bread. Was storing beans too, but because of the fuel and time involved to cook them, have primarily switched over to rice. Also started storing field corn to grind for corn bread, etc. to have more variety as you are promoting. Some canned chicken or beef added to beans or rice can give a change too.
ReplyDeleteBoth beans and rice can be ground into flour and used as a meat replacement/extender or to thicken soups. Bean and rice flours can be used in baking breads and crackers as well.
ReplyDeleteHaving ways to make bread has always been my number one priority when it comes to preparedness. I've baked it in a solar oven, propane grill, Camp Chef oven, and Dutch oven. My husband is building a Rocket Oven (based on the wood burning Rocket Stove) so I can bake bread in that. It's also why I've learned to make sourdough bread--if I have no yeast, but still have wheat, I can make bread. And of course, there are various forms of bread, such as tortillas, biscuits, etc.
ReplyDeleteWe store rice and beans too, but bread is the mainstay of our diet and will hopefully continue to be so in case we see TEOTWAWKI. And I know that I can eat bread every single day and not get tired of it.
Anonymous at 6:13 AM, you missed the point. Read the article again. "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. Li, Li, Li."
ReplyDeleteHaving a good assortment of spices is one way to avoid food fatigue. Rice, beans, even bread may become wearing on the soul but by changing seasonings one can create a different taste.
ReplyDeleteDuring the great depression my parents families lived on beans and potatoes. But, the trick is in different ways to prepare them and the accompanying dishes. Such as fried okra or squash, melon and biscuits. And pickles of all kinds. People used to have fancy "pickle castors" on their tables. Those people didn't feel deprived, but blessed. Lots of cuisines use beans and rice and prepare them differently.
ReplyDelete