A couple of years back I posted an article on the medicinal and other uses of triple antibiotic. In the course of researching for that post (I think it was that post, at any rate), I found a study showing that regular petroleum jelly—plain Vaseline—was every bit as effective. I decided then and there that I didn’t need to buy the tiny tubes of triple anymore. (Of course, my husband still believes he needs it. And to be fair, the tiny tubes are convenient when out and about.)
I don’t have any problem using Vaseline on my skin. While concerns as to its safety are often raised, I haven’t been persuaded that this product is evil, even if it is a byproduct of the oil industry.
I also haven’t been persuaded that Vaseline is entirely safe, either. And some people are sensitive to Vaseline while others are allergic to the ingredients in triple antibiotic. So it wouldn’t hurt to have an herbal alternative. And if that alternative possessed some actual healing ingredients, so much the better.
Herbal “Triple Antibiotic” Ointment
2 tablespoons infused calendula oil
1 tablespoon beeswax pastilles
1 tablespoon coconut oil
7 drops tea tree essential oil
7 drops frankincense essential oil
7 drops geranium essential oil
7 drops lavender essential oil
Combine the
calendula oil, coconut oil, and beeswax in the bowl of a double boiler over
moderate heat. Heat until the
ingredients melt together. Remove from
heat and stir. Let the mixture cool to
120°F or lower, and then add the essential oils and stir well. Pour the ointment into small tins or
jars. Label, date, and store in a cool,
dark area. This product has a shelf life
of approximately 12-18 months. Use in
the same manner as you would triple antibiotic.
Now, what if you’ve decided that you want to use this handy product elsewhere, just like the other uses of triple antibiotic listed in the article I referenced above? The only one I would be concerned about is using this ointment to make a wound dressing. There’s nothing in the ingredients that would concern me, and it seems acceptable to use it as such; there’s just been no testing of it. So it would be wise to forebear.
However, there are still a lot of other ways to use this product should the need arise, like, if it passed its expiration date or started to smell off. You can always make fire starters or use it on creaking doors.
Links to related posts:
The Medicinal and Other Uses of Triple Antibiotic
Cotton Ball-Vaseline Fire Starters
My pharmacist was saying the amount of actual antibiotics in those tubes has dropped significantly last 10 years. He no longer recommends it. I looked on line but have not been able to verify that so no idea if its true or not.
ReplyDeleteExile1981
I like the tubes of ointment because it is easier to keep it from getting contaminated. Tubs of Vaseline and it only takes one episode of "cleanish" hands to contaminate future wounds. I say this and have MULTIPLE tubes of Aquaphor and lanolin at the ready (car, house, purse, first aid kits).
ReplyDelete