I’d like to say that it’s early morning and I’m writing this post in bed because it’s too cold to get up and start working. The reality is that it’s early afternoon, I’m in some comfortable jammies, my head is throbbing a little, my throat is sore, and Becky’s been making me peppermint tea and taking my laptop away every once in a while.
This stupid cold (aren’t they all?) suckered me just like everyone else. And just like everyone else in the family, I thought I was going to get away unscathed, and then wham! The first 7-10 days were a barely noticeable bother. A little dripping from the nose and mild throat irritation. Just enough to let you go about your day and make you think the herbal remedies are all doing their job. (Well, I was the only one going the herbal route.) I thought I was well and didn’t take my herbals with me when I went to Reno with Becky for her training conference. The first 24 hours went well, but Friday morning saw a downturn. Friday evening, on our drive back, I started falling apart. And now, here I am, in bed. My sinuses, which I can’t ever recall being bothered with colds in the past, are all plugged up. This is not fun.
Of all the things I’m doing, I think the Vicks VapoRub is having the most effect. But what if we ran out of it? Or what if we didn’t want to use a petroleum-based product on our skin? We could make a mullein salve. It’s what I (or Becky) would be doing right now had I harvested mullein flowers last year. Unfortunately, I forgot about them until it was about a week too late. I’m still irritated about that. Anyway, what follows are the steps to infusing mullein oil and making your own mullein salves.
The first step in making a mullein salve is to make mullein oil. Here are two ways to do this:
Place freshly dried flowers in ½ pint canning jar and cover with olive oil. Let sit on a sunny windowsill for two weeks. Strain and discard the flowers. Pour the oil into a dark glass bottle.[1] [2]
Alternatively, for faster preparation, simply put 1 cup of freshly dried mullein flowers in a double boiler (just use a small canning jar in a saucepan) and add ½ cup olive oil. Heat on low for 3 hours. Cool, strain, and store oil in a dark glass bottle.
Once you have the mullein oil prepared, you’re ready to make some salves. This is a much faster process.
Basic Mullein Salve
¼ cup mullein-infused oil
2 teaspoons beeswax pellets
Combine the
oil and beeswax in a ½ pint canning jar.
Place the jar in a saucepan with a few inches of water. Heat over medium-low until the beeswax is
completely melted. Pour the salve into
small dark glass jars or tins. Let cool
and replace the lid. Store in a cool,
dry place. The shelf life of this salve
is at least 12 months.
This basic mullein salve soothes dry, chapped skin. It’s perfect for chapped lips. And you can use it on minor abrasions as well.
Mullein Multi-Purpose First Aid Salve
2 tablespoons mullein-infused oil
1 tablespoon calendula-infused oil
1 tablespoon plantain-infused oil
2 teaspoons beeswax pellets
4 drops lavender essential oil
2 drops tea tree essential oil
Combine the
oils and beeswax in a ½ pint canning jar.
Place the jar in a saucepan with a few inches of water. Heat over medium-low until the beeswax is
completely melted. Remove from heat.
Stir in the essential oils. Pour the salve into small dark glass jars or tins. Let cool and replace the lid. Store in a cool, dry place. The shelf life of this salve is at least 12 months.
With calendula, this salve now possesses antiseptic properties and can help reduce itching and inflammation. With plantain, this salve is great for dealing with bug bites, abrasions, and cuts.
Mullein-Eucalyptus Chest Rub (DIY Vicks VapoRub)
3 tablespoons mullein-infused oil
1 teaspoon beeswax pellets
30 drops eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops peppermint essential oil
2 drops white camphor essential oil
Combine the
oil and beeswax in a ½ pint canning jar.
Place the jar in a saucepan with a few inches of water. Heat over medium-low until the beeswax is
completely melted. Remove from heat.
Stir in the essential oils. Pour the salve into small dark glass jars or tins. Let cool and replace the lid. Store in a cool, dry place. The shelf life of this salve is at least 12 months.
As one of the best respiratory herbs, mullein is used internally and externally to manage dry unproductive coughs as well as bronchitis. Eucalyptus, peppermint, and camphor essential oils enhance mullein’s effects on the lungs.
Links to related posts:
The Medicinal Uses of Peppermint
The Medicinal Uses of Calendula
The Medicinal Uses of Plantain
Get well soon. Be safe and God bless.
ReplyDeleteGet well soon. The AB gov put out the new version of the pulse cookbook, want me to send you a copy?
ReplyDeleteExile1981
Absolutely!! I made chickpea gingersnaps yesterday. They tasted much better than anticipated.
DeleteThank you for the mullein information.
ReplyDeleteConcerning 'low heat' - how low - just above room temperature or something in the low 100's ?
I do realize its a judgment call but a bit of a hint would be appreciated :)
Thanks!
I could tell you, but it's a state secret. ;)
DeleteGoogle Lady says beeswax melts at 145 degrees Fahrenheit. And your goal is to melt the beeswax and mix everything together.
You want to do this low and slow so as to avoid overheating the beeswax and ruining it.
Thank you for that information.
DeleteAnd here's my offering - Something I've tried and seems to work well is to simulate that ~2 or 3 weeks in a sunny windowsill. I do this by using a plant grow mat and a 24 hour timer. I put my herbs in the oil, then place them down into a container lined with the grow mat (appropriate sized) and I tend to use a container that has a loose fitting lid to mitigate heat loss. Then plug the mat into the timer and set for either 12on/12off or maybe 10on/14off, there's no wrong choice it seems... Then let it run for as long as you wish. The mats only get to around 85 or so, so things are heated softly.
I've also used this process to cut down on the times when the standard infusion of something is 4-6 months.
Thanks for all the things your share!
Good Luck to us All