Over the past couple of months there have been a few (perhaps a few too many) posts on the various aspects of sourdough—recipes, health benefits, etc. As noted in the Jalapeno Cheddar Sourdough Bread recipe posted last week, I am still not taking any of the supplements I used to take. I find that phenomenal.
Anyway, one of my greatest concerns with making this sourdough was the potential for killing my starter. I’ve seen Abby only once since then; getting a replacement start from her might be difficult. And I’ve just got this thing about foreseeing future problems and being prepared to deal with them.
So the first thing I did after making a few loaves of bread was to begin dehydrating my sourdough starter. There is no way I ever want to be without sourdough bread again. I think I have a couple quarts of the dried flakes now. Soon they’ll be sent to new homes with my daughters-in-law. And I’ve been able to share some with friends around the country. And when I get the new website up and going, the plan is to offer sourdough start to all my readers as well. Everyone should be able to have fabulous sourdough.
Make Sourdough Starter Flakes
With my sourdough starter each day, if I am making bread, then I go through the process of activating the starter. After that, I feed the starter in the jar and set it back in its place.
If I am not making bread, then I am dehydrating the starter until I have accumulated what I feel is a respectable storage of it.
Leaving 2 tablespoons of starter in the jar to begin the next starter, I pour off about ¼ cup of the starter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I feed the starter in the jar and set it back in its place. The starter on the parchment paper gets spread around with a brush so that it is as thin as possible. This helps it dry faster and also means that it will rehydrate more quickly.
Set the cookie sheet out of the way and let the starter dry. Mine’s usually done in 24-30 hours here in the desert. It may take another 24-48 hours in more humid areas.
When the starter is completely dry it will flake and fall off the parchment paper. Crush the flakes to a coarse powder so that it will be easier to measure and reconstitute quickly. Scoop the powder into a clean canning jar, put the lid on, and store it in a cool, dry place. You might want to label it with your starter’s name (if you’ve done that—I gather that most people do) and date.
Reconstitute Sourdough Starter Flakes
Place 1 tablespoon of dehydrated starter flakes in a half-pint jar.
Add ¼ cup water and stir.
One hour later stir in ¼ cup flour.
Within 24-72 hours, your mixture should be bubbling and growing, depending on the air and water temperature. At this point it is ready to activate and begin making bread.
Links to related posts:
Abby’s Sourdough Bread—Three Perfect Ingredients
The Health Benefits of Sourdough
So, room temperature dehydration? Very interesting, I like!
ReplyDeleteAny idea how long the dehydrated flakes are viable?
I've been dehydrating the starter for the past three months in my approximately 70 degree (during the day, 60 at night) kitchen. As I said, it takes about 24 hours here in the desert. No idea how long it will take in a humid area. Of course, it also depends on how thinly yo spread the starter out on the paper.
DeleteAs for how long the flakes are viable, Abby said indefinitely. But just to be safe I plan to make some at least every year.
Thanks. Feeding the sourdough when you don't bake often is easy to forget.
DeleteMichael