Saturday, January 20, 2024

DIY Baby Wipes for Doomsday

Once upon a time, many, many moons ago, I had an abundance of rags and a severe shortage of cash, as well as a baby in diapers.  It was a good time to DIY baby wipes.  I don't remember the recipe I used, but it had a good soapy, clean fragrance to it and did the job well.

The COVID crisis saw a run on paper products of all kinds.  I don't recall an issue with baby wipes or diapers, but with all kinds of supply line problems, one never knows when a problem could arise.  While my personal plan for dealing with dirty baby bottoms is to use the old-fashioned warm, wet washcloth, which then gets bleached and washed, I think it's important to have other options available when a crisis takes a different turn than the one we anticipated and prepared for.  We need to be flexible and able to adapt, and that means keeping an open mind.  I mean, really, who thought a pandemic could spur a shortage in coins throughout the country or make freezers disappear overnight?

Here are a couple of reasons a family prepared with washclothes and the means to wash them might consider being able to DIY disposable baby wipes:
  • No water for washing
  • Inability to take a shower (three regular-size baby wipes work surprisingly well as a shower substitute--give it a try one day to prove it to yourself)
  • Illness in the family--no time or energy for doing laundry
  • Slowing the spread of disease--would it be better to dispose of the waste than to wash the washcloths?
  • Traveling--don't want to pack dirty laundry while on the road
The recipe options below include an all-natural one as well as one that's more conventional and uses more readily available ingredients with a longer shelf life.  For both, use either some cut-up rags or a roll of heavy-duty paper towels, cut in half with the inner cardboard tube removed.  Place them in a plastic tub with a tight-fitting lid.

Baby Wipes (all-natural ingredients)
1 3/4 cups boiled water, cooled
1 tablespoon aloe vera
1 tablespoon witch hazel
1 tablespoon liquid castile soap
1 teaspoon olive oil, optional
10 drops grapefruit seed extract or 2 capsules of vitamin E oil, optional
A few drops of essential oils like lavender or orange, optional

Combine all the ingredients in the plastic tub.  Add the rags or paper towels and replace lid.  Let absorb 5-10 minutes and then invert the container to distribute solution better.  Use like other baby wipes.

Baby Wipes (conventional ingredients)
2 cups boiled water, cooled
2 tablespoons baby shampoo
1 tablespoon baby oil

Combine all the ingredients in the plastic tub.  Add the rags or paper towels and replace lid.  Let absorb 5-10 minutes and then invert the container to distribute solution better.  Use like other baby wipes.
14 december 2020

5 comments:

  1. Thanks! I've been stocking up on them when they go on sale and theres a coupon. Great to have "recipes" for them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the, "I am not a robot " function off of email requests. There were times I spent too many minutes proving I wasn't a robot. 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'd like to take credit, but I had nothing to do with that. That's all Blogger. BTW, I hate those things too.

      Delete
  3. Babies aren't the only ones who could use the help cleaning their bottoms. As an adult, I'd used 'flushable' baby wipes for years. We have a septic tank, and I became concerned that those semi-fabric wipes would clog the septic system. So now, using ordinary toilet paper, I spray a solution and wipe and flush. Soothing, cleansing, effective, and less burden on the septic system. The formula: 3 parts water, 1 part olive oil, and 1 part lavender Dr. Bronner's castile liquid soap. You could use peppermint, but some find that a little too, uh, chilling/thrilling. I keep a 4 cup spray bottle by the toilet, and it lasts a long time (no refrigeration nor mold, etc). Some municipal sewerage systems prohibit baby wipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this suggestion!

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat