“Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
Being in debt is hard. Being financially responsible is hard. Choose your hard.
Communicating is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But you can choose your hard. Choose wisely.”
I’ve never figured out the “marriage is hard” part. Maybe I make it hard for my husband, but he
makes life fabulous for me. Maybe it’s
because I experienced the “divorce is hard” part courtesy of my parents. It’s been 45 years and it’s still a very ugly
divorce. Anything is easier than that.
Lots of choices in life are difficult. The beauty is that we get to choose which hard we want. Sometimes we choose one and realize that the other is a better choice, so we have to make adjustments.
Along those lines, we can also add, “Preparing is hard. Not preparing is hard. Choose your hard.”
Unfortunately, we see far too many who have chosen the
latter option. When my children were
small and were experiencing the consequences or their choices or were weighing
their options, I often said, “When you pick up one end of the stick, you pick
up the other.” It was a concept they
could understand. And we especially
shared it with them when we were contemplating whether to allow that
child to have their own pet, a puppy or kitten. They needed to know
that someday they would have to bury that pet. Becky's experiencing the
other end of that stick now as her beloved dog nears the end of her
life.
By now most of you know that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (often referred to as Mormons). We have a verse of scripture that says “If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear.” It is quoted often in our meetings. Everyone is very familiar with it. But just to be clear, there are very few who truly practice preparedness. They believe that when times get tough, the Church or the Savior or their neighbors (who are also inadequately prepared) will rescue them from their poor choices. Someone is going to be very surprised. I don’t think it will be me.
Several months ago I came across a brief account shared by the grandson of a Sicilian WWII survivor. This is how it went:
"Whoever chose fire lived. Whoever chose bread died"
Or as he use to
say it: "Cu iappò u focu campò. Cu iappò u pane moriu". (Sicilian
Dialect)
My grandfather always tells this saying when he talks about post-war times, when he was just a kid in Italy. It is an old saying, but it contains a wisdom that the people had developed trying to adapt to the situation they were experiencing.
In this case the lesson was that a shelter, a warm place to pass the coldest periods was even more essential than bread, food. They were really poor, so they often had to choose between necessities.”
As we can see, this account is in line with what is commonly referred to as the “Rule of 3s.” People can live 3 hours without shelter, 3 weeks without food. Being able to keep warm, having a shelter, is more important than having food to eat. I have no doubt that we will see people choosing between the two in the future and often choosing poorly. Being cold is hard. Being hungry is hard. Unprepared people will have to choose their hard.
Prepared people also have hard choices to make. It is hard to learn new recipes, new preservation techniques, new cooking methods, gardening, alternative medicine, other ways of doing laundry and keeping clean, and so much more. It is also hard to only have a few long-term storage staples to work with, fewer cooking options, and limited conventional medicine choices. And it will be hard not knowing options you can suggest to others who chose not to prepare. Choose your hard.
For me, knowing what is coming, the choice is a no-brainer. Preparing well provides the greatest peace. Knowing that come what may, my family will have shelter, water, food, clothing, medicine, and fuel allows me to fully enjoy them now, because we have also prepared well for the future.
The Sicilian grandfather’s saying arose from what he personally experienced as a child in a family that was not prepared for the ravages of war. People could choose to eat or have shelter, but not both at times. At the same time, there were families that recognized that history repeats, that could see trouble, famine, war, devastation in the future, and who were prepared to meet the challenges. We just don’t hear as much about them. Perhaps because it could seem like bragging, perhaps they feared chastisement for not being more generous with their supplies as others suffered. I don’t know.
People prepare so that their families won’t have to choose between shelter and food. We sum it up in our family’s saying, “We believe in being warm and well-fed.” Being prepared is hard, but it’s like picking up that stick: when you choose to pick up the one end of getting prepared, you also pick up the other end of being prepared when the crisis hits.
With the choice of a puppy or kitten, the fun is at the beginning and through most of its life; the hard part is at the end. When one is choosing to prepare well for future challenges, the hard part is the beginning and lasts until the challenges set in. But when those challenges begin, there is peace in knowing that you have prepared as well as you could.
Choose your hard. Choose well.
2.11.21
Jennifer have you ever researched the Holodomor?
ReplyDeleteSNIP The Holodomor,[a] also known as the Great Ukrainian Famine,[b] was a man-made famine in Soviet Ukraine from 1932 to 1933 that killed millions of Ukrainians. The Holodomor was part of the wider Soviet famine of 1930–1933 which affected the major grain-producing areas of the Soviet Union.
While scholars are in consensus that the cause of the famine was man-made, whether the Holodomor constitutes a genocide remains in dispute. Some historians conclude that the famine was deliberately engineered by Joseph Stalin to eliminate a Ukrainian independence movement.
Control of food and shelter is a powerful tool for government. Some might say that the push to reduce carbon by limiting farmers and heat sources (like banning gas or wood stoves) is part and parcel of that.
We've spoken at least indirectly about how social and governmental issues can affects your survival. The "Fair Share" and such socialist version of share what YOU have sister stuff.
Proverbs 27: …11Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart, so that I can answer him who taunts me. 12The prudent see danger and take cover; but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.
Other versions say hide others say advoid.
I do note little about putting yourself in trouble saving the simple (foolish).
In Matthew 25 the lamps and the oil parable the foolish demanded oil from the wise but the wise told them that would make them unable to wait so to go and buy oil from the dealers.
Doesn't sound like the wise were totally obligated to give to the foolish?
If force is coming to "Assist the Fair Share" process is complete truth a wise move?
Asking for a friend.
I can't say that I've "researched" the Holodomor; as a Russian major, the Holodomor was routinely covered in a history class. Based on my understanding, do I believe Stalin engineered it to wipe out the Ukrainians? Absolutely. Do I believe history repeats and it will happen here? Absolutely.
DeleteDo I believe all the climate change nonsense with gas and wood stoves and even cows is part of their plan to reduce the population? Absolutely.
My first responsibility is to my family. How does my responsibility to my family dictate that I also help neighbors so that we are standing together against those who would harm us? How far does assistance go? I don't know. If I had done things MY way, I would never have started writing this blog. Even though the audience is small, I still feel it's not a great idea to let people know the extent of one's preparations. However, I cannot deny that this is something my Heavenly Father wants me to do. I am humbled at what he has allowed me to learn and so blessed to hear that some of what I write has been helpful to others as well.
I feel no obligation to be truthful with an evil government or individuals or support them in any way. The midwives lied about the Hebrew women delivering their babies before the midwives arrived and families hid their newborn baby boys. Moses survived. Rahab hid the Jewish spies in defiance of her government, and she and her family were spared.
Do I hope that Heavenly Father will bless and protect us from the challenges that are coming? Absolutely. Do I think that we will be able to escape entirely unscathed? No. (But if I'm wrong about that, it would be ok.) I know that we grow through trials. Hopefully the trials we experience are the ones Heavenly Father wants us to experience for our growth, and not something we bring upon ourselves due to foolish choices.
Interesting reply, Jennifer.
DeleteGlad you know about Rahab. Not something that most Christians read or hear in their sound bite church preaching.
I'm not surprised as I've been to summer camps with LDS, and they are quite bible literate. I've a fair knowledge of the Pearl myself.
Your blog is a service to everyone that has eyes to see and ears to hear. I suspect due to the lack of keywords that you're not generating interest. I approve BTW.
I did give you a partial report on the Basal Cell and eggplant experiment to date. Short version I think it works pretty well.
I did read your follow-up on the eggplant vinegarite. I am sorry I didn't acknowledge. Sometimes I read comments but am unable to reply at the moment and then forget to reply later.
DeleteI, too, wish I would find more readers, but if I did the things that other blogs do, then I would be just like the other blogs. I figure there are enough of those.
Those with eyes to see Jennifer. You do great work and I seriously wish I could get you to do a data stick of your blog for reference if the internet as we know it ceases to exist.
DeleteSo, garden question, Got Egg Plant :-)
The data stick is coming! Whether it happens before the wedding, I can't say, but surely before the end of spring.
DeleteI am a retired librarian & have read many, many preparedness blogs. I am addicted to reading😄 & also enjoy truly interesting subjects (prepping). I wish more people read your blog, as it is one of the prepper best. As far as how you will "stand" in the future--- you have given to so many of us now. There is oil in my lamps, & before there were no lamps!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. You guys are making me blush!
DeleteI too really enjoy your blog and books. You have taught me a lot. Thanks so much,
ReplyDeleteLife is generally what you make of it. To say it is hard is foolish when you look at how easy life actually is for even the poorest person in a western country. I remember my great aunt lived in a cabin...a nice cabin..on the edge of the Daniel Boone Wilderness when I was a kid. Her husband built it himself. He raised corn and tobacco for a living. They heated with coal, had a wood burning cook stove and did not get electricity till about 1960 for lighting and refrigeration. And they had it better than many of their neighbors. So easy and hard are subjective and often a matter of choices. We should all thank the stars we were born here and now. Things for humans have historically been much worse.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, you blog has been a blessing. There are few resources out there I look forward to referring to each day as much as this one. Your doing everyone who finds this blog a service. Thank you kindly.
ReplyDeleteWow, I feel so blessed. Overwhelmed. I wish I could know you, Melanie, and all of you in real life. I wish we could be neighbors. Wouldn't that be amazing?
ReplyDelete