One of the things that has surprised me most during this pandemic has
been the number of nouveau panic preppers as well as long-term preppers
who failed to recognize or denied the importance of planning for treats
and comfort food. Admittedly, I didn't call this well myself. I never
figured we'd have an event that turned out the way this has. I didn't
foresee grocery stores still bustling and utilities still running
perfectly.
So I hadn't planned on still having ice cream in our lives here.
However, with things becoming more expensive, we've only been getting
cheaper vanilla ice cream. And that gets really boring. Last week we
sliced bananas and mixed them in with ice cream and then topped that
with the caramel syrup (recipe posted here). That was truly divine.
I wanted something different this week and after a long day working in
the yard, I also needed something quick. We still had some ice cream
sugar cones that we'd gotten for ten or twenty cents per box before the
shutdown. I thought back to the year that I spent working in an ice
cream shop in high school. One of the menu options was dipping ice
cream cones in a melted chocolate/fat mixture that solidified on the ice
cream instantly. I thought I might be able to recreate that for my
children. Pressing the chocolate immediately into chopped nuts sounded
pretty tasty. Best of all, it's really easy to make with ingredients
you probably already have on hand.
Drumsticks
Magic Shell, recipe below
vanilla ice cream
chopped nuts
Magic Shell
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
Using a wide-mouth pint canning jar as a double boiler, melt chocolate
chips and coconut oil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir
in vanilla extract, if desired.
Scoop vanilla ice cream into sugar cones or small bowls. If using sugar
cones, make smallish scoops and press ice cream very well into the
cone. Dip ice cream into the Magic Shell quickly and then roll in
chopped nuts. Serve immediately.
6.13.20
This is perfect and very much appreciated!
ReplyDelete