Well, that’s the name I gave them, though they don’t really “wrap” much. They’re sufficiently tasty little buggers and quite easy to make entirely from zucchini and potatoes, with normal food storage ingredients to make the pancake-like wrap.
I realize that I tend to post a lot of zucchini recipes towards the end of summer, but there’s good reason for it. Zucchini plants can be counted among not only the most prolific producers in the vegetable world, but also the easiest to grow, even for newbie gardeners. Beyond that, zucchini can be prepared in so many varied ways—appetizers, breads, desserts, main courses, salads, hot or cold side dishes. They probably even find their way into smoothies, but I haven’t gone there yet.
Zucchini can be a prepper’s dream as far as vegetables go—they can be frozen, dehydrated, or freeze-dried. There are even some recipes for canning them, though the cooperative extension seems to advise against the practice currently. And at this point in time turning zucchini into flour is making the rounds in social media, though that seems a fool’s errand to me. Far more practical to identify novel ways to incorporate this versatile veggie into our recipe repertoire for the challenging times that lie ahead.
And so we have these zucchini-potato wraps. They somehow popped up on the Youtube sidebar one day, without any title other than “my kids beg me to make these every day.” It was subtitled in English, so not sure what country this is coming from, however I do suspect the kids don’t get out much. They are tasty, but not an everyday kind of thing. Chocolate chip cookies, zucchini cake, zucchini cupcakes, yes those could be begged for every day. These wraps, however, could definitely be a once a month kind of thing.
Zucchini-Potato Wraps
2 medium zucchini, shredded
2 medium potatoes, shredded
3 eggs
½ cup flour
1/3 cup powdered milk
1 ¼ cups water
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup oil, for frying
Sour cream or plain yogurt
Green onions, or other herbs
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, powdered milk, and salt. In a large bowl, one with a pour spout if possible, combine the shredded zucchini, potatoes, and eggs. Stir in the dry ingredients and then the water until you have a uniform batter. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, and pour enough batter in to cover the bottom of the pan, spreading the batter around with a spoon as necessary. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side and remove to large plate to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
To serve, spread each wrap with a thin layer of sour cream or plain yogurt and sprinkle with green onions. Roll each wrap up and slice diagonally into thirds for an attractive presentation. After the first bite or two, we also sprinkled on some Slap Ya Mama seasoning. (As I write this, I’m thinking some crumbled bacon or shredded cheese would go really well with this. Maybe it’s because I’m hungry.)
Links to related posts:
References:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyqbmFphGr8
No comments:
Post a Comment