Friday, May 19, 2023

More Depression Baking: Water Pie

My son and daughter-in-law spent a very busy day with a final walk-through of their house, signing papers, pre-natal appointment that included every mom's favorite--the glucose challenge, and shopping for all the painting supplies needed to start on that job before moving in.  Dinner was the only thing I could help them out with.  

With the leftover soup, hot dogs, apple slices, and French fries, all we needed was dessert.  And I had some time, so I decided on Water Pie.  Besides, it had been quite a while since the guinea pigs had been subjected to any laboratory testing.

When I first came across the recipe, I was beyond skeptical.  The name itself just sounds so sad.  Depressing.  I guess that's why it is a Depression recipe.  I knew the kids would see it the same way, but with the added element of fear.  Bwahaha.  

Along the same lines as Sugar Cream Pie and Oatmeal Cake, Water Pie is another Depression-era recipe that transforms bare bones basic food storage ingredients into a surprisingly satisfying dessert. 

Water Pie

1 9-inch deep dish pie crust, unbaked (recipe follows)

1 1/2 cups water

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

5 tablespoons butter, cut into 5 pieces

Set the empty pie crust on a cookie sheet.  Pour the water into the pie crust. 

In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar.  Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the water in the pie crust.  Do not stir it in.

Drizzle the vanilla extract over the flour and sugar.  Place butter pats on top. 

Carefully transfer the pie on the cookie sheet to the preheated oven.  Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes.  Reduce heat to 375°F and bake an additional 30 minutes.  Cover pie crust edges with aluminum foil, if necessary, to prevent over-browning. 

The pie will be watery, but it will gel as it cools.  Cool completely and then cover and refrigerate until well chilled.  

Family reviews:  Like I predicted, the kids were oozing skepticism.   Before dinner, when KOTPE asked what was for dessert, and I replied, "Water Pie," he brushed it off.  Besides, he saw me preparing what looked suspiciously like an apple pie.  After a long day of errands and school, everyone was starving and crowding the kitchen, at which time they discovered there were two pies.  And because I am a Mean Mom, they were informed that they could not have any apple pie until they had first tasted the Water Pie.  Of course, they were somewhat reluctant, but with the promise of apple pie immediately after the water (pie) torture, they dug in.

Ellie, in a delighted voice:  "It tastes like a sugar cookie."

KOTPE, in a happy, surprised voice:  "I could totally eat this in a Depression and be very happy!"

And that was before the rest of us had a chance to taste it.  Anyway, everybody concurred that Water Pie is surprisingly tasty. In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that the Water Pie was not thoroughly chilled when we ate it.  It had cooled and wasn't entirely runny.  All agreed it would be improved by chilling.  But apparently the pie didn't get put away last night and was still on the counter when I came out at 5AM.  And because it's the middle of winter, the house is pretty chilly at that hour.  So the pie was well chilled and I had a little nibble.  It tastes even more like a sugar cookie now.  

Chef's review:  The recipe called for a 9" deep-dish pie crust.  It doesn't need to be deep-dish; the pie won't be that full.  But it's kinda nice to have the extra pie crust contribute to that sugar cookie feel.  I think it might work with other flavors of extract.  My next experiment with this recipe will be to use coconut oil in place of the butter and coconut flavoring in place of the vanilla extract.  

Pie Crust
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup lard
6-7 tablespoons ice water

Combine flour and salt in a small mixing bowl.  Cut in lard until mixture is crumbly.  Add water 2 tablespoons at a time until a nice dough forms.  You may not need the final tablespoon.  

Divide dough into two balls.  Roll each ball out between two sheets of waxed paper and use the waxed paper to help transfer the dough to the pie plate. 

Links to related posts:

Oatmeal Cake

Sugar Cream Pie

 

4 comments:

  1. Ice water and chilling things are sometimes hard to do without a refrigerator-freezer.

    I wonder if this recipe was seasonal in the Great Depression?

    When the grid gets spotty like early Venezuela (its worse now blackouts vs brownouts) a dab of solar might make your lighting, recharging small gadgets like cell phones and such and a small fridge doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about things like this as well. There are small solar powered refrigerators and coolers out there.

      How well do they really work? We've got a solar cooler, and it works, but how well will it work for months, or, perish the thought, years? So many unknowns with what is coming.

      Delete
    2. Long term hard to say. I've had my Gosun solar powered cooler for several years. It's solid state and really freezes water. NOT as powerful as even a dorm room fridge but useful. Kept my friends insulin safe for several camping trips.

      https://gosun.co/products/solar-power-cooler-freezer

      I used my Biolight solar starter kit as a light-radio for the shed for several years and just one of the square hand lights has been my bedroom go to for the same period. I recharge it USB every 3-5 days the solar panel built in a days charging in the window keeps it ready for that evenings use. The other 3 are still in their boxes.

      https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/solar-starter-pack

      Or a more generalized version is 400-800 watts solar kit add batteries and you get a 12 volt, USB charging (generally) and 110 Volt to run a real dorm fridge, LED lamps and such.

      Not going to be grid power but when NOT IF the brownouts and worse occur you'll have some ability to keep lights on without fire hazard (No Fire Departments when the grids down) and ability to carry over food safely from dinner to breakfast.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for posting this, Michael. Some of those products look really nice. And I'm always on the lookout for another product for keeping things cool. I'm already thinking about one of those Gosun coolers.

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat