Until we got those six-gallon buckets of cornmeal, it honestly never
occurred to me that people would buy--and use--that much cornmeal. And
now, I guess there are people who would. Part of the reason I write the
food part of this blog is not so much to share my recipes, but rather
to show the thinking process. What people can do when presented with a
challenge in challenging circumstances. It's not to say so-and-so has
this recipe and it works. It's to help a person look at what I did with
my recipes to adapt them to using food storage and being workable in a
grid-down situation so that you can do the same with your family's
recipes. You already have your own recipes to work with. You probably
don't need too many more.
That being said, did you know cornmeal mush is supposed to be real
food? I didn't. I thought it was something from Looney Tunes. And it
kind of scared me. How good could it possibly taste?
Cornmeal Mush
Serves 6
3 1/2 cups water, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
Combine
2 1/2 cups water and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
Whisk cornmeal with remaining water in a small bowl. Slowly pour
cornmeal mixture into boiling water and whisk in thoroughly. Reduce
heat to low and stir constantly for five minutes or until the mixture is
thickened.
So basically, this is like Cream of Wheat or Malt-o-Meal, but with
corn. It cooks up pretty quickly. It's a bit blah, but way better with
milk and brown sugar or maple syrup. I'm definitely not a fan of hot
cereals, so I'm a bit biased in that manner. But this was fine. The
kids split 50-50 on this. Surprisingly, as a breakfast cereal, I found
just a little bit was really filling.
Now, the following sound a little more inviting, judging by all the rave
reviews I read. But I'm still a little nervous to try them out.
Cornmeal Pancakes
Serves 4
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup dry milk powder
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup oil
In
a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, whisk
together the wet ingredients. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry
ingredients just until moistened.
Pour batter onto a
lightly greased hot griddle. Flip when the bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
My husband grew to love hush puppies when he served as a missionary in
North Carolina for two years. He's made them a few times for our family
in the past thirty years. I never had until now. (It's been my policy
never to make anything my husband could make. If I did, he might want
me to keep making it.) But I had to give these a try. Besides, I have
this sneaking suspicion that they might taste a lot better than the
store-bought mix.
Hush Puppies
Serves 6-8
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped green onion (including the green)
3/4-1 cup buttermilk
oil for frying, 2-3" in pan
Combine
all dry ingredients. Add egg, buttermilk, and onions. Mix well.
Carefully drop in hot oil by spoonfuls and brown on all sides.
Polenta
1 quart chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup any type of shredded or crumbled cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a two-quart casserole dish.
Combine broth, salt, cornmeal, and butter in the casserole dish and stir
well. Bake for 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and add cheese. Stir well. Bake five more minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes before serving.
Family reviews: Again, we split about 50-50 on this. One daughter was
wondering what was with the "retirement home food." And this made me
think it might work for the elderly or babies. Another daughter wanted
to know what was wrong with just using all 120 pounds of cornmeal for
cornbread.
Refrigerated leftovers will become firm and may be fried as mush for breakfast the next morning.
If you decide to double this recipe, you may need to double the baking time as well.
Hopefully, these recipes have given you some ideas as to how versatile cornmeal is.
Links to related posts:
What Do I Do With All This Cornmeal?
Corn for Long-Term Storage
4.10.20
" Another daughter wanted to know what was wrong with just using all 120 pounds of cornmeal for cornbread." Actually nothing.... LOL
ReplyDeleteeverything about cornmeal also translates to storing actual kernels of dent corn - and - corn in the unprocessed hardshell has a much longer longevity even under adverse storage conditions & methods >>> store your nixtamalization lime with the corn and be ready to grind
ReplyDeleteMost definitely. We've got the dent corn and lime and that's what my plan always was for cornmeal. I was just really surprised that the cornmeal from our friend hadn't gone rancid after 30 years.
DeleteMy dad grew up on cornmeal mush. My grandmother had 12 children so you are right in that it didn’t take much to fill the belly. They lived on a farm and butchered their own hogs so always had bacon with it and eggs from their chickens. Not a fancy breakfast, but it got the job done and that was important during the Depression.
DeleteNever ate cornmeal mush as a hot cereal - always made it at dinnertime, put in a loaf pan, refrigerated overnight and in the morning cut in slices, fried along with eggs or plain topped with syrup. Hot, filling breakfast.
ReplyDelete