Saturday, April 1, 2023

Homemade Instant Stuffing Mix and a Super Quick Casserole--All from Food Storage!

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Making the Most of Powdered Milk in Your Food Storage, the 3rd volume of articles from the Prep School Daily blog, is now available on Amazon.  With over 130 family-friendly recipes using powdered milk—without a hint of that powdered milk taste—your family will have no idea there's a crisis. 

Back when my husband and I were first married, another newlywed friend at church shared a simple recipe that I grew to enjoy because it was so quick and easy to put together:  leftover turkey, a cream sauce, and Stove Top stuffing.  In the beginning, I made it often.  But as time wore on, it fell out of favor.  Not because we didn’t still like it, but because I became less enamored of convenience foods like Stove Top and cans of condensed cream of chicken soup.  With my husband still going to school and me at home with our children, money was a bit tight.  Some things had to give, and expensive (to us) convenience foods were among the first to go.

Fast forward 30 years, and I got to thinking about that turkey and stuffing casserole dish.  I hadn’t ever gotten back to making it regularly for my family, not because of the expense, but due to all the preservatives in the stuffing mix.  Unfortunately, Stove Top is what I was raised with, and I’m ashamed to admit I never developed an appreciation for any other kind of stuffing.  While thumbing through a cookbook last week, I came across a recipe for a DIY stuffing mix.  Of course, I had to try it out and followed the recipe exactly.

The first attempt revealed the need for at least two tweaks.  It definitely needed some salt in addition to what came with the bouillon.  Because some people need to reduce their salt intake, I listed that ingredient as optional.  The second was that there was too much water in this mix.  I cut that back by ¼ cup. 

Stuffing Seasoning Mix
1 teaspoon ground sage or poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1 tablespoon dehydrated chopped celery
2 teaspoons dehydrated minced onion
2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves, crushed
¼ teaspoon salt, optional
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
 
Combine all ingredients in a zippered plastic bag.  Label with the date and contents. Store in a cool dry place.  Use within 6 months.  Yield: 1 package stuffing seasoning mix.
 
Saucepan Stuffing
1 cup water
3 tablespoons coconut oil*
1 package stuffing seasoning mix, see above
4 cups dried ½ inch bread cubes
 
In a medium saucepan, combine water, coconut oil, and stuffing seasoning mix.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to medium; simmer about 5 minutes.  Stir in bread cubes.  Cook 1-2 minutes until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly.  Cover; remove from heat.  Let stand 5 minutes.  Fluff with fork before serving.  Yield: 4-6 servings. 
 
*Note.  As you’ve noticed by now, I substitute coconut oil for butter whenever possible.  This is because coconut oil is shelf-stable, and right now it’s substantially cheaper than butter.  If you decide to use butter instead, you may need to cut back on the salt.
 
Chicken (or Turkey) Stuffing Casserole
 
Prepared stuffing using mix from above
1 ¼ cups water (use liquid from canned chicken for part of the water)
1/3 cup SOS Mix
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup yogurt
1 pint chicken, drained
 
Preheat oven to 350°F.  In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk SOS Mix into water until smooth and no lumps remain.  Continue stirring until mixture thickens and is bubbly.  Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise and yogurt. 
 
Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.  Layer drained chicken on the bottom.  Spread the sauce mixture evenly over the chicken.  Sprinkle with stuffing on top.  Bake for 20-30 minutes. 
 
Reviews:  The original recipe called for sour cream.  Using yogurt instead makes it a little healthier and possible to make entirely from food storage.  It does lose out a little on that “comfort food” feel, because, you know, you eliminated about a hundred calories.  But basically, this casserole is fabulous.  Aaron and Becky scarfed it down and duked it out over who got the leftovers for lunch the next day.  (Aaron won.  He always wins these contests.  Because he’s my sweetie, and I put the leftovers away and make his lunches.)    
 
Links to related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment