But ketchup is kinda important, especially for hamburgers and French
fries and going with the current 1950's diner food theme. The recipes I
came across were pretty much the same as far as sugar, vinegar, and
most common seasoning ratios. Some added allspice, cinnamon, and/or
cloves. Some started with tomato sauce and cooked it down. I wasn't
fond of that idea. Grid-down, I don't want to use any more fuel than I
have to. Some started with tomato paste and then added water, which is a
bit better. However, there's still the problem that canned tomato
products don't have a long shelf life. I've had cans bulge in as little
as two years past the use-by date. So I went with a recipe that used
tomato powder as the base.
Because all the recipes made a large quantity of ketchup, and again,
that is something I don't want when the grid goes down since there may
not be adequate refrigeration, I scaled the recipe down.
Here's what I used:
Ketchup
1/4 cup tomato powder
1 tablespoon sugar (or honey, molasses, or maple syrup)
2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 - 1 cup water (start with 3/4 cup and add until you get the desired consistency)
Combine the dry ingredients first. (If using honey, molasses, or maple
syrup, combine that with water.) If you don't the spices may clump up
and be difficult to mix in. Whisk in the vinegar and water until you
achieve the desired consistency.
Makes about 10 ounces.
I made the above recipe using commercial tomato powder as well as powder
from home grown and dehydrated and powdered tomatoes. I had five taste
testers, including The King and The Queen of the Picky Eaters. All
agreed that the ketchup made with the store-bought tomato powder was
good and they would be happy to eat it. But all also agreed that it was
a bit tomato-ey and needed a little more sweetener or spice. However,
since everybody's ideas on what ketchup should taste like differ, I'm
not going to worry about that. I'll leave it up to the readers to do
their own tweaking. For my family, I'm going with maple syrup next
time.
I also want to add that the tomato powders I used were old. The
commercial stuff was purchased in 2008, and the home stuff was
dehydrated in 2009. The commercial powder is still a very bright red
and the ketchup is also nice and bright. The homemade powder is the
dark reddish orangish brown that is typical for home dehydrated tomato
powder and it does not have the smooth consistency of the commercial
powder. While some might be a little disturbed at the idea of using
food so old, I think it is a huge advantage. There is no way canned
tomato products would have that kind of shelf life. I have a few bottles
of Trader Joe's ketchup here; the older bottles are substantially
darker than the newer ones. While the ketchup might still be safe to
eat a few years out of date, it definitely isn't going to be as
appealing if it is dark.
All in all, I really liked making my own ketchup. All the ingredients
are items I keep on hand in abundance, so while I will probably continue
buying ketchup for the convenience, I also don't have to worry about
storing enough to last through the interesting times ahead. We can
quite easily make our own.
Freezing drying down tomatoe sauce was a disaster when i tried it. The tomatoe sauce puffed up, had to be broken up to do a secobd cycle as it was still wet in the middle and required a very thorough cleaninging afterwards. Plus the next 2 batches still had a tomatoe odor to them and i tossed the oil because it was tge only time i've had pump oil get contaminated.
ReplyDeleteExile1981
That's interesting. I've FD'ed tomato sauce twice for sure and probably three times and never had an issue. I could see ketchup puffing up due to the sugar content. Was your tomato sauce really sweet?
DeleteI forget that was a few years ago and it a #10 can hitting end of shelf life i decided to FD. It was pretty thick and may have been paste not sauce.. i can't remember.
DeleteExile1981