Saturday, February 25, 2023

Fruit and Vegetable Fresh, Dehydrated, and Freeze-Dried Equivalents

It’s about 5 PM as I finish up this post.  I’m not sure exactly whether it was a viral or bacterial beast that violated my personal space and sent me to bed two days ago.  Did it happen at the Valentine’s Day dinner party, or at the grocery store the next day?  After dry heaving for a couple of hours Thursday night, I finally expelled the suddenly offensive food and spent most of Friday sleeping.  Today I’m still weak but able to read, surf, and type.  And by the time you read this, I will be fully recovered. 

Anyway, the following chart has been one I’ve wanted to assemble for quite some time.  I think I might even print it up and laminate it for the kitchen.  I never seem to know just how much dehydrated onion or celery to add to a dish.  Amounts always look so puny and then seem to swell in the pot.  Which, of course, is what they are supposed to do.  


Fresh produce

Dehydrated and freeze-dried powders

Dehydrated amount

Water to reconstitute

Minimum soaking time

Apple, 1 medium or 1 cup

 

1 cup

1.5 cups

½ hour

Apricot

 

1 cup

1.5 cups

¼ hour

Asparagus, 6 stalks

 

1 cup

1 cup

 

Banana

 

1 cup

1 cup

¼ hour

Beans, green, 1 cup, FD

 

½ cup

1 cup

¼ hour

Beans, green, snap

 

1 cup

2.5 cups

1 hour

Beets

 

1 cup

2.75 cups

1 ½ hours

Bell peppers, 1 cup

¼ cup flakes

1/2 cup

¾ cup

 

Blackberries, 1 cup, FD

 

¾ cup

1 cup

 

Blueberries, 1 cup, FD

 

½ cup

1 cup

 

Broccoli, 1 cup, FD

 

1 cup

1 cup

¼ hour

Cabbage, 1 cup

 

½ cup

1.25 cups

1 hour

Carrots, 1 cup, 4 medium fresh carrots, DH

¼ cup powdered

½ cup

1.5 cups

1 hour

Cauliflower, 1 cup

 

1 cup

½ cup

¼ hour

Celery, 1 cup

 

½ cup

1 cup

1/3 hour

Corn, DH

 

1 cup

2.25 cups

½ hour

Corn, 1 cup, FD

 

1 cup

1 cup

 

Green onions, ½ cup

 

¼ cup

¼ cup

 

Hash browns, 1 cup

 

½ cup

1.5 cups

¼ hour

Mushrooms, 1 cup, DH

 

½ cup

1 cup

1 hour

Mushrooms, 1 cup, FD

 

1 cup

½ cup

 

Okra, DH

 

1 cup

3 cups

½ hour

Onions, DH

 

1/3 cup

1 cup

¾ hour

Onions, 1 medium, DH

1 ½ tablespoons onion powder

½ cup

¾ cup

¾ hour

Onions, 1 medium, FD

 

1 cup

1 cup

 

Peaches, 1 medium,

 

1 cup

2 cups

1 ¼ hours

Pears, DH

 

1 cup

1 ¾ cups

1 hour

Peas, DH

 

1 cup

2 ½ cups

½ hour

Peas, 1 cup, FD

 

1/3 cup

1 cup

 

Pineapple, 1 cup

 

1 cup

1 cup

 

Potatoes, mashed, 1 cup

 

½ cup

1 cup

5 minutes

Potato dices, 1 cup

 

1/3 cup

1 cup

10 minutes

Raspberries, 1 cup, FD

 

1 cup

1 cup

 

Spinach, DH

2-3 tablespoons powder

1 cup

½ cup

5 minutes

Spinach, FD

 

1 cup

¾ cup

 

Squash, DH

 

1 cup

1 ¾ cups

1 hour

Strawberries

 

1 cup

1 cup

 

Sweet potatoes, DH

 

1 cup

1 ½ cups

½ hour

Sweet potatoes, FD

 

1 cup

1 cup

 

Tomato, 1 medium

 

 

½ cup

 

Tomato dices, 1 cup

 

½ cup

1 cup

½ hour

Tomato paste, 1 cup

 

½  cup

1 cup

5 minutes

Tomato sauce, 1 cup

 

¼ cup

1 cup

5 minutes

Turnip greens, other greens

 

1 cup

1 cup

¾ hour

Zucchini, 1 small

 

¾ cup

½ cup

 

 

Fruits are best soaked in cool water.  Vegetables are best soaked in hot or boiling water.  For soups and stews, vegetables do not need to be rehydrated.  Simply add them and the necessary liquid for reconstituting to the cooking pot.  Where no soaking time is listed, allow about 45 minutes depending on the size of the chunks of produce and whether it was dehydrated (more time) or freeze-dried (less time).

Unfortunately, despite claims to the contrary, the reconstituted veggies will not look just like fresh.  Even with freeze-dried foods, there is a little bit of loss in color and texture.  Peas and all fruits will benefit from adding about ½ teaspoon of sugar per cup of fruit to the soaking water at the end of the soaking time. 

Links to related posts:
References:

3 comments:

  1. Glad your feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! But your idea to print it up and laminate it -- I'd like to too! How can I do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Copy and paste the table into your word processing program and then print it up. Make sure the font isn't too small to easily read it. Then you can laminate it at Office Depot or Office Max, or you can just take the cheap way out and use clear contact paper. I'm going back and forth on what to do myself. But I just got the idea that I could laminate all kinds of charts--powdered milk reconstitution and making evaporated and condensed milk, substitutions, etc., and do them for my daughters for Christmas. I'll have to think more on this.

    ReplyDelete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat