As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since the
time I was ten years old, I've heard leaders of the Church counsel
their members to store at least a year's supply of food to be prepared
for difficult times. Up until about the 1990s, that advice focused
mainly on storing the staples of long-term storage--grains, dry milk,
sugar, beans, oil, and salt.
However, following some of the major hurricanes in the early 1990s,
leaders learned that even well-prepared members (of which there are
tragically few) had difficulties feeding their families. How could this
be?
Of course, those who have been preparing for a while, and preparing for
events they feel are really going to happen, recognize the problems in
just stocking the common long-term storage items: they take a long time
to prepare anything, and that means using a lot of fuel. And they
require that the person preparing the food actually be able to work with
these items. In a society where fewer and fewer people can cook from
scratch, this becomes a real problem.
So in addition to (not instead of) urging their members to store the
long-term items, leaders also began counseling people to build up a
three-month supply of foods that are easy to prepare, that they have the
means of warming or cooking, and that they are already accustomed to
eating on a regular basis.
The reasons behind the first item in the list are straightforward--in a
disaster, like a hurricane, you may not have a lot of time for food
preparation and you may not have the space and easy access to kitchen
utensils and such.
As far as cooking goes, too few of the Church members who had food were
able to do much to cook it; it does little good to have several hundred
pounds of wheat if all you have is a camp stove.
Eating foods that you are already familiar with is common sense,
especially for children. It provides a little bit of comfort and
reassurance for them in a stressful situation. Parents don't need the
added stress of a child refusing to eat unfamiliar food. Beyond that,
you don't want to add stress to your body by eating foods you are not
accustomed to. What's going to happen to the guy who lives off fast
food if he's suddenly thrown into eating whole wheat and beans? Hint:
you definitely do not want to be within a quarter mile of him. The
three-month supply of short-term storage foods provides time for you to
transition from eating your times-of-prosperity diet to the
times-of-leanness diet of long-term storage foods.
And there's one other point that is rarely mentioned. When we lived in
Missouri, our bishop there encouraged everyone in our congregation to
live without electricity and running water for three days, using only
the food and supplies we had at home. Due to weather events, we had
experienced relatively short periods of time without power or without
water, but except for camping, we had never gone without both.
So here I was, while we're pretending to be without water and
electricity, life is still normal. My husband still goes to work; money
is still in the bank; the outside world, although as crazy as ever,
isn't threatening me or my family. And yet, I was almost paralyzed. I
had a house full of food--food that we constantly ate and rotated
through, and I couldn't think of what to make for dinner. I couldn't
use electricity, I didn't want to use much water, and I definitely
didn't want to create a bunch of dirty dishes.
The entire experience was an eye-opener and one of the reasons behind the meal tins
I wrote about on 1 November 2018. It's why we store a lot of paper
plates and plastic forks and cups and parchment paper and foil for
lining pans.
That was an extremely important lesson to learn. Even though we are
well-prepared with food and means for cooking it, just thinking about
what to make in a disaster is rather difficult. It would be far better
to be prepared for that beforehand.
02.28.19
Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteI am very limited in the culinary skills department, so some ideas just never occur to me. I live in a rather arid area that does not get rainfall through much of the year, so finding ways to save precious water is always of interest to me.
I have read, literally, tens of thousands of prepper articles in the last dozen years or so. Seeing recommendations that people store paper plates and plastic utensils in order to save precious water is commonplace. Not once, however, have I seen anyone mention lining pans with aluminum foil to avoid the need for scrubbing and washing.
Over the years I have seen my mother and my wife use aluminum foil when baking turkeys, large roasts, or some food that was particularly messy, but using foil to line pans for cooking common soup, stews, or vegetables? Never.
You got me thinking about this. Since, with all of my preps, storage space is currently at a premium, using foil, wax paper, or plastic wrap to cover regular dinner plates might also be the way to go. Even if the cover material is a bit more expensive than paper plates, the space saving aspect of compact bulk rolls has a quality all its own.
I'm thinking that I will head straightaway to the local restaurant supply store and buy bulk rolls of plastic wrap, wax paper, or another large roll of aluminum foil for use in hard times.
Thanks!
I would think lining saucepans with aluminum foil to avoid having to wash said pan would be problematic. It would be too easy to poke a hole in the foil while stirring. I use parchment paper to line casserole dishes and Dutch ovens. Cheaper than foil and burns much better. ;) And I think you have a good idea there, though again I feel parchment paper would be better than wax paper for lining dishes. I might just pick up a few more rolls of parchment paper myself. If anyone else is considering this idea, be sure to get your parchment paper at a restaurant supply store or Sam's or Costco. Parchment paper at the grocery store is way too expensive.
Delete