As sometimes happens, I spent the better part of an evening surfing the ‘net. And one night in particular I got caught up in looking for new ways to incorporate SOS Mix into my family dinners. One of the recipes I came across was strangely familiar. Because it just happens to be a simplified version of my family’s favorite camping meal. Well, duh. The way my husband does it, he uses one can each of cream of celery, chicken, and mushroom, instant rice, onion soup mix, and chicken breasts. I think he adds a can of water as well, but my memory could be off on that bit. Rice on the bottom of the Dutch oven, then the soups, and then the chicken, all topped with the onion soup mix. Anyway, it’s something the kids just must have when camping.
The following recipe is easier and definitely more economical.
Chicken
and Rice
1/3
cup SOS Mix
1/2
cup powdered milk
2
cups cold water
1
can mushrooms, drained and liquid reserved and used as part of the water, above
¾ cup uncooked long grain rice
4 boneless
chicken breasts
In
a small saucepan over medium heat, combine SOS Mix and powdered milk with
water. Cook and stir until thickened and then stir in mushrooms. Spread rice in a 9x13 pan. Arrange chicken on top of the rice. Pour mushroom sauce over the chicken. Cover and bake at 350°F for 60 minutes. Serves 4.
Tuna Noodle Skillet
1/3 cup SOS Mix
3 cups water
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 can tuna
1 cup peas (frozen or canned)
1 cup cheese, grated
½ cup buttered bread crumbs or crackers, optional
In a medium bowl, whisk SOS Mix and water until well blended. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the SOS mixture and noodles. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until noodles are tender. Stir in tuna, peas, and cheese. Heat through. Top with buttered bread crumbs or crackers, if desired. Serve immediately. Serves 5.
Family reviews: This one is just never gonna happen. I was scarred by being compelled to eat tuna helper and tuna casserole as a kid. I’m not going anywhere near something like that again in my life. I recognize, however, that others aren’t so traumatized and might appreciate a recipe for this stuff. May your children forgive you. ;)
Links to related posts:
SOS Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper
SOS Potato Dishes
Basic Food Storage—Powdered Milk
Do You Want to Include Cornstarch in Your
Food Storage Program?
I actually love tuna-noodle casserole but the husband hates it, so I never make it. The only time I get to enjoy it is when I visit my sister and her husband makes it.
ReplyDelete