Sunday, December 22, 2024

The Medicinal Uses of Corn Silk

While corn silk was used extensively in traditional Chinese and Native American medicine, very little has been conducted in the way of modern research.  Corn silk seems pretty remarkable for treating type-2 diabetes.  However, it has been shown in laboratory studies on mice and rats to have some pretty incredible and rather unique effects.  These effects don’t fit neatly into any of the categories normally used on the blog, so I’m going to put them right here at the beginning.

Anti-fatigue.  Corn silk inhibits the production and accumulation of lactic acid in muscles.[1]  Lactic acid build-up is what makes your muscles sore.  Laboratory mice were divided into three groups—the control, the low dose (received 100 mg/kg), and the high dose (received 400 mg/kg).  Corn silk was administered for 28 days before evaluation.[2] Mice with the low dose swam 39% longer than the control group; mice with the high dose swam 115% longer.  The high dose is rather high.  Most recommendations on bottles of corn silk capsules recommend in the neighborhood of 1200-1500 mg per day, while researchers believe that 10 grams per day can be safely taken.[3]  (This could be pretty phenomenal.  I mean, if I could hike longer than my husband or the kids without getting tired….  I might keep this one to myself.  Just imagine the possibilities here.)

Gamma radiation.  Researchers showed that an alcohol extract of corn silk was protective against gamma radiation in mice.[4]  Doses administered were 75, 150, and 300 mg/kg, and the amount of protection was dose-dependent.[5]

Those two uses alone are really intriguing.  However, its use as a means of lowering blood pressure and blood cholesterol make it especially worthwhile to most every family, at least the older members of the family.  And corn is found in most every garden. 

HARVEST

For medicinal purposes, the corn silk is harvested before pollination occurs.  Other researchers state that the mature corn silk is more effective.[6]  It may be used fresh or dried.[7]

PREPARATIONS

Capsules.  Available on Amazon.

Extract.  10 g dry corn silk powder added to 60% ethanol in a 1:10 ratio and then simmered at 70°C for 1.5 hours.  Store in a glass bottle in a cool, dark, cabinet.[8]  Other researchers used 80% ethanol to produce the extract.[9]

Powder.  Corn silk dried at 60°C and then powdered. 

Tea.  10 grams corn silk combined with 30 ml water and boiled for 30 minutes.[10] Pour boiling water over the corn silk.

MODERN USAGE

·       Cardiovascular

o   Hypertension (infusion)[11] [12]

o   Lower cholesterol (infusion)[13] [14]

·       Endocrine

o   Diabetes[15]

o   Metabolic syndrome[16]

·       Urogenital

o   Diabetic nephropathy[17]

Contraindications.  Avoid use if allergic to corn or corn products.  Do not use if taking diuretics or anti-coagulants.  Do not use if taking anti-inflammatory or hypertension medications. 



[1] Qing-Lan Hu, et al., Purification and anti-fatigue activity of flavonoids from corn silk, International Journal of Physical Sciences, April 2010, Vol 5 No 4, https://academicjournals.org/journal/IJPS/article-full-text-pdf/ADE585F24869 (accessed 3 February 2022).

[2] K Hasanudin, et al., Corn Silk (Stigma Maydis) in Healthcare: A Phytochemical and Pharmacological Review, Molecules, 2012, Vol 17 No 8, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/17/8/9697/htm (accessed 3 February 2022).

[3] K Hasanudin, et al., Corn Silk (Stigma Maydis) in Healthcare: A Phytochemical and Pharmacological Review, Molecules, 2012, Vol 17 No 8, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/17/8/9697/htm (accessed 3 February 2022).

[4] H Bai, et al., Protective Effect of Maize Silks (Maydis stigma) Ethanol Extract on Radiation-Induced Oxidative Stress in Mice, Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 2010, Vol 65, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11130-010-0172-6 (accessed 3 February 2022).

[5] K Hasanudin, et al., Corn Silk (Stigma Maydis) in Healthcare: A Phytochemical and Pharmacological Review, Molecules, 2012, Vol 17 No 8, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/17/8/9697/htm (accessed 3 February 2022).

[6] Z.A Maksimović, et al., Preliminary assay on the antioxidative activity of Maydis stigma extracts, Fitoterapia,

Volume 74 No 1–2, 2003, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0367326X02003118?via%3Dihub (accessed 3 February 2022).

[7] K Hasanudin, et al., Corn Silk (Stigma Maydis) in Healthcare: A Phytochemical and Pharmacological Review, Molecules, 2012, Vol 17 No 8, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/17/8/9697/htm (accessed 3 February 2022).

[8] Qing-Lan Hu, et al., Purification and anti-fatigue activity of flavonoids from corn silk, International Journal of Physical Sciences, April 2010, Vol 5 No 4, https://academicjournals.org/journal/IJPS/article-full-text-pdf/ADE585F24869 (accessed 3 February 2022).

[9] K Hasanudin, et al., Corn Silk (Stigma Maydis) in Healthcare: A Phytochemical and Pharmacological Review, Molecules, 2012, Vol 17 No 8, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/17/8/9697/htm (accessed 3 February 2022).

[10] Li C-C, et al., Antihypertensive Effects of Corn Silk Extract and Its Novel Bioactive Constituent in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats: The Involvement of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibition, Molecules, 2019, Vol 24 No 10, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/24/10/1886/htm (accessed 3 February 2022).

[11] Li C-C, et al., Antihypertensive Effects of Corn Silk Extract and Its Novel Bioactive Constituent in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats: The Involvement of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibition, Molecules, 2019, Vol 24 No 10, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/24/10/1886/htm (accessed 3 February 2022).

[12] S Shi, et al., Corn Silk Tea for Hypertension: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials, Evidence Based Complementary Alternative Medicine, 17 January 2019, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30792743/ (accessed 3 February 2022).

[13] S. Saheed, et al., Toxicological evaluations of Stigma maydis (corn silk) aqueous extract on hematological and lipid parameters in Wistar rats, Toxicology Reports, 17 April 2015, Vol 2, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28962399/ (accessed 3 February 2022).

[14] Jae Hoon Cha, et al., Corn silk extract improves cholesterol metabolism in C57BL/6J mouse fed high-fat diets, Nutrition Research and Practice, October 2016, Vol 10 No 5, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27698957/ (accessed 3 February 2022).

[15] Y Zhang, et al., Anti-Diabetic, Anti-Oxidant and Anti-Hyperlipidemic Activities of Flavonoids from Corn Silk on STZ-Induced Diabetic Mice, Molecules, 2016, Vol 21 No 1,  https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/21/1/7/htm (accessed 3 February 2022).

[16] B Wang, et al., Beneficial Effects of Corn Silk on Metabolic Syndrome, Current Pharmaceutical Design,  Curr Pharm Design, 2017, Vol 23 No 34, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28950827/ (accessed 3 February 2022).

[17] Kai-Jin Wang, et al., Corn silk (Zea mays L.), a source of natural antioxidants with α-amylase, α-glucosidase, advanced glycation and diabetic nephropathy inhibitory activities, Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, February 2019, Volume 110, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0753332218354404?via%3Dihub#bbib0060 (accessed 3 February 2022).

 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Jennifer, I have read your columns daily for several years now and believe in your extensive knowledge of medical things. My wife has hypothyroidism and takes 75 MCG daily; she has for done so for 35 years. With check ups and blood work every six months, this keeps her TSH is range. (She cannot take Levothyroxine... only Synthroid.) We are worried about the availability of her obtaining this life saving medication, but her doctor will not prescribe additional dosages for her for grid down use (he thinks it silly to presume someday meds might not be available!) I called our pharmacist and explained my concerns to her. She told me I was right in being concerned explaining that "availability of drugs is the hottest thing among pharmacists today." I went to Jace Medical (they offer antibiotics on line) but they do not offer Synthroid at this time. Do you know of a source for REAL - not Levothyroxine - Synthroid on-line that is safe site to order from? Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Remember, I'm not a doctor. I just research. Anyway, I did a little checking, and I couldn't find any other sources for real Synthroid online. I did come across an article at the following address that may be of help to you. https://www.restartmed.com/synthroid-vs-levothyroxine/

      In fact, I thought it contained some good information on thyroid meds and the issue between the generics and the real synthroid that could be helpful for some patients, so I'm going to post it on the hypothyroidism article posted here a year or so ago.

      If I had a doctor who was unaware of the drug shortages and supply chain issues and couldn't perceive why a patient dependent on lifesaving medications would want to build up a supply, I'd find a new doctor. Even if I had to do it without insurance.

      There are online doctors that will give prescriptions to their patients. I thought JASE Medical would cover something so common as hypothyroidism. Did you actually speak with them? I found this paragraph on their "Other Medication Considerations" on their "Useful Info" page.

      "This is just a very small list of over-the-counter medications to consider when putting together a first-aid/med kit. And don’t forget those daily chronic medication needs such as medications for high blood pressure, thyroid disorders, seizure disorders, antidepressants, asthma, etc. Our physicians can determine which medications would be appropriate to prescribe in long-term amounts. Have any questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out to us at answers@jasemedical.com."

      Even if you can't find a local doctor, you should be able to find a doctor in your state who will do a telemedicine visit and be able to prescribe what your wife needs. Good luck. I hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Jennifer, Yes I did speak personally with JACE Medical. I was told that they are in the process of trying to add several critical medications (including Synthroid) to their inventory but that they have "run into some issues" (they were not specific) about doing so... Further, I should "check back with them from time to time" to see if they were able to add Synthroid to their inventory. I will look at the web article you cited. I have been told that Synthroid is one of the top five non-narcotic drugs prescribed in the United States so anything you find out will be an immediate and critical source of help to your readers. BTW I bought Bring Your Own Bandages and have made so many notes and underlined so many passages the once clean pages are now completely messy. thank you, thank you... Thank You!

      Delete
    3. Yes, thyroid medications are among the most commonly prescribed in this country. Because my husband is also on Synthroid, this is an issue I do pay careful attention to. I will be sure to post any additional information I find.

      And since you've bought the book and appear to find it worthwhile, I would so appreciate it if you could post a review on Amazon. It would help me (and others) greatly. Thank you!

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat