Friday, March 6, 2020

Cornbread Just-Add-Water Mix

Lately, I've really been feeling the urge to prepare a lot of just-add-water types of meals and side dishes.  I'm not quite sure exactly why I feel that need, but it is what it is.  One of the foods I've done in the past to some extent was cornbread.  I still added fresh oil and eggs, but the rest was a mix.  However, now I really want this to be a strictly just-add-water kind of thing.
Here's the regular recipe that fits in a quart jar:

Cornbread in a Jar
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon dry milk 
1/4 cup egg powder
1/3 cup oil  
3 tablespoons butter powder

Pour contents into a medium mixing bowl.  Add 1 2/3 to 1 3/4 cups water and stir to combine.  Do not over mix.

Bake in a greased 8" square pan at 350 for 35 minutes.

Cornbread in a Jar (half-recipe)
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons dry milk
2 tablespoons egg powder
2 1/2 tablespoons oil  
2 tablespoons butter powder

Pour contents into a medium mixing bowl.  Add 7/8 cup water and stir to combine.  Do not over mix.

Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Cornbread in a Jar (for two)
3/8 cup flour
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 slightly heaped tablespoon dry milk
1 tablespoon egg powder
4 teaspoons oil
1 tablespoon butter powder

Measure all ingredients into a one-pint wide-mouth canning jar.  When ready to bake, add 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon water to the jar and stir to combine.  Do not over mix.  Fill greased or lined muffin tin cups 1/2-2/3 full.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Preparedness  survival  emergency  bugging out in bug pack survivalist prepper freeze dried dehydrated food storage gamma lid bucket #10 can medicine supplies supply emergencies disaster natural civil war political unrest hyperinflation inflation canning jar Mylar oxygen absorber disease
injury pneumothorax family children antibiotics alternative refrigeration solar communications salmonella pneumonia CPR medic mask gloves beans wheat rice oats corn oil coconut water purification filtration iodine pasta sugar salt iodized dry powdered milk mountain house essentials bread education home school vitamins skills chickens goats rabbits homestead redoubt American fuel wood ticks mosquitoes repellent disinfect sterilize Armageddon TEOTWAWKI SHTF WTSHTF societal

2 comments:

  1. is this intended for storage?

    how do you put the "oil" in a jar w/all those dry ingredients?

    doesn't that go really bad, really quick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for long-term storage. I use mine up within 3-4 months. I've never had any go bad before that. Actually, I've never had any go bad at all--I just don't let them get old. But I also use coconut oil, which has a great shelf life. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure regular vegetable oil would last as long. I just cut the coconut oil into the rest of the ingredients with a pastry blender or a fork. However, if you were concerned about the oil, you could get the little packets of oil and then just open them when ready to prepare the cornbread. The idea is to have some really easy to prepare foods on hand.

      Delete