The COVID-19 lifestyle leaves a bit to be desired, truth be
told. I don’t mind the staying home part
one bit. As an extremely introverted
person, can I say that I’ve been preparing my whole life for this?
However, the weather is still a bit too cold to go out and
garden for many of us. There’s a whole
lot of Netflixing going on. And the
requisite popcorn accompaniment works 95% of the time. But once in a while, a body wants to shake
things up a bit.
That’s where caramel corn comes in. I was a little pre-occupied, so I made it
with butter, instead of using coconut oil.
The regular butter version was fine; the locusts… umm, kids, devoured it
immediately.
However, I was really curious as to whether using coconut
oil instead of butter would work. I bet
you are too, now.
Original recipe
|
Coconut oil
|
Coconut oil + powdered butter
|
16 cups popped popcorn
|
16 cups popped popcorn
|
16 cups popped popcorn
|
1 cup brown sugar
|
1 cup brown sugar
|
1 cup brown sugar
|
½ cup butter
|
½ cup – 1 tablespoon coconut oil*
|
½ – 1 tablespoon coconut oil*
|
1 tablespoon water
|
1 tablespoon water
|
|
¼ cup powdered butter
|
||
¼ cup corn syrup
|
¼ cup corn syrup
|
¼ cup corn syrup
|
½ teaspoon salt
|
½ teaspoon salt
|
½ teaspoon salt
|
½ teaspoon baking soda
|
½ teaspoon baking soda
|
½ teaspoon baking soda
|
·
Butter is 16% water. Coconut oil has no water, so to compensate, I
replaced 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of water. I’m not sure it made a difference in this
recipe.
Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and butter (or coconut
oil or coconut oil and powdered butter) in a two-quart saucepan, bring to a
boil, and cook and stir for two minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. Immediately pour caramel syrup over the
popped popcorn and stir to combine.
Comments on the coconut oil versions:
The coconut oil version does not cook up the same. I kept stirring and waiting for the mixture
to combine fully on the stove, and it never did. Some oil just would not incorporate into the
caramel, and it’s possible that I overcooked the caramel trying to get the oil
to incorporate fully. So when I poured
it on the popcorn, it cooled pretty quickly and I didn’t get it to coat the
popcorn well.
However!! According
to the locusts, it tasted just fine, though it was noted that the color was a little
darker.
But I wasn’t quite satisfied. I really wanted coconut oil to work
perfectly. So I tried again with adding ¼
cup of butter powder to the coconut oil.
That didn’t work, either. The
coconut oil still didn’t fully incorporate into the caramel. But the color looked better and it poured and coated the popcorn really well. Perhaps because I didn't cook it as long. Regardless, it still tasted good. Really good.
In case you are wondering, yes, as a matter of fact, my
stomach does hurt from eating so much caramel corn.
No comments:
Post a Comment