Tuesday, November 5, 2024

Managing an H. pylori Ulcer in Armageddon

This past summer I spent a few days visiting in Utah with Professor and Belle all by myself, selling books at the evening farmers markets.  I thought it would be the perfect time for an extended fast.  They wouldn’t have to worry about meals for me, and dinner was out of the question anyway with working at the markets.  Everything went well, and drinking ice water with lemon slices made the whole experience rather pleasant.  I ended the fast after 2.5 days.  Then I woke up in the middle of the night with stomach pain.

Based on Professor’s and QOTPE’s experiences and my previous research, I was sure it was an ulcer.  Not nice.

And Aaron was rather newly unemployed and we had decided to carry medical insurance only on him.  Double not nice.  There would be no going to a doctor to confirm my suspicion.  (Truth be told, I didn’t really mind not going to the doctor.)

So I was four hours from home and all my herbs and other supplies and wouldn’t be returning for another day.  I had time to do some research.

And it was pretty interesting.

Most stomach ulcers are due to a Helicobacter pylori infection.  Running a close second for causing ulcers is frequent NSAID use.  As I only take an NSAID maybe once or twice a year, I ascribed my pain to H. pylori.

Helicobacter pylori is a Gram-negative bacteria that affects up to 50% of the population world-wide.[1]  Most people that carry the bacteria are asymptomatic unless and until gastritis and ulcers set in.  Worldwide, about 10% of the population will experience an ulcer sometime during their lives.[2]  With that many people affected, and with the amount of pain ulcers generate, it’s something we all need to become much more knowledgeable about. 

Risk factors for developing an H. pylori infection:

  • Poor sanitation and hygiene
  • Low education level
  • Infected family members
  • Low socioeconomic status
  • Lack of clean water
  • Overcrowded living conditions
  • Improper food handling
  • Poor health care accessibility[3]

H. pylori is transmitted through numerous pathways—fecal-oral, gastric-oral, oral-oral, or sexual routes. A major risk factor for a higher prevalence of infection is lower socioeconomic status.  H. pylori test kits are available on Amazon.  However, they run about $10 each and do not have a long shelf-life.

Choices for managing an H. pylori ulcer include:

  • Omeprazole/Prilosec 40 mg once per day, amoxicillin, 500 mg, 3 times per day, and metronidazole/Flagyl, 400 mg, 3 times per day.  Continue therapy for 7-14 days.  Pepto-Bismol may substitute for the omeprazole.[4] 
  • Fresh cabbage juice, 1 quart consumed throughout the day, for 7-10 days.[5]
  • Licorice (the herb, not the candy) tea.[6]
  • Honey.[7]
  • Garlic, 2 garlic cloves twice per day for 3 days.[8]
  • Turmeric, 600 mg capsules, 5 times per day, for 4 weeks.[9]

Other herbs shown effective in eradicating H. pylori include:  Ginger, Japanese barberry, juniper, elder (berries), pomegranate (tincture), bearberry (water extract of leaves), cayenne, cinquefoil, forsythia, oregano, peppermint, rosemary, spearmint (essential oil), usnea.

Links to related posts:

Ulcers—Identifying, Treating, and Avoiding Them in Challenging Times 

References:

https://nihrecord.nih.gov/2022/04/15/scientists-reveal-good-bad-and-ugly-h-pylori

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5596183/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8832644/

https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/what-is-the-fastest-way-to-cure-a-stomach-ulcer

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/diseases-conditions/helicobacter-pylori-infection

https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/do-ulcers-go-away



[1] https://nihrecord.nih.gov/2022/04/15/scientists-reveal-good-bad-and-ugly-h-pylori

[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5596183/

[4] Joseph Alton, et al., Survival Medicine Handbook, 4th Edition, 2021, 273.

[5] https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/stomach-ulcer-remedies#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

[6] https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/stomach-ulcer-remedies#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

[7] https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/stomach-ulcer-remedies#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4

[8] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5052411/

[9] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11485087/

7 comments:

  1. You might want to Google kimchee for h.pylori.

    Very useful not only for treatment but for gut healing with weekly "doses ".

    Fermented foods are a "let your foods be your medicine ".

    Hopefully this will help your ongoing gut issues. Working for me.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard about kimchee; haven't researched it. I've eaten it a few times. There are hundreds of recipes, some better than others. I suspect it has something to do with the cabbage. I still have a few cabbages left from the garden, but I haven't yet mustered the courage to drink their juice.

      Delete
    2. Fermented cabbage Jennifer.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I used Pepto-Bismol for the initial pain, since that was what Jared had on hand. He also had some pretty old licorice tea, so I took a dose of that. And then I went home the next day and started in with calendula and chamomile tea with honey twice a day and licorice root tea once a day. And then to mix things up I started taking usnea tincture. If you want to truly punish your taste buds, that's the tincture to do the job.

      Delete
  3. Yes I'm curious as well. Did it get fixed? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete