All right, bear with me here. I KNOW everybody already has a chocolate chip cookie recipe, right? RIGHT?
Well, that’s what I thought. I don’t know how one can truly be prepared without this essential comfort treat and all the ingredients to make it. But here we are.
See, at the symposium where I was selling my books last month, I somehow had permission to offer food samples. Perhaps because it was a private event? Not sure, but I wasn’t going to push the issue. It seemed prudent to take the best advantage of the situation as possible. I had vanilla yogurt and granola samples, hummus and tortilla chips, cream cheese and Gwen’s sourdough crackers, pretzels (well, those were store-bought) and the Nutella knock-off, all in an effort to promote the books. And then for those wary of fresh foods like the yogurt and dips, I had some chocolate chip cookies made with whole wheat and coconut oil. And those people wanted to know if that recipe was in any of the books.
Seriously? They’re just chocolate chip cookies. Use whole wheat flour instead of white flour and coconut oil instead of butter. But they really wanted a recipe.
And so as to be sure everything in the books (‘cause I’m hoping for the grains book to be finished early next year) is also available on the blog, here’s the chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Healthy (snort, snort) Chocolate Chip Cookies
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup oat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon dry milk powder
1 cup dark chocolate chips
½ cup shredded coconut, optional
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugars, oil, and water. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine the flours, salt, soda, and milk powder, and then stir this into the creamed mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips and coconut, if desired. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
Notes. You can use butter in place of the coconut oil and water. I use hard red wheat flour, but of course, you can use white wheat flour or all-purpose flour. Buzz instant or rolled oats in the blender for 30 seconds to make oat flour. If you don’t wish to use oat flour, add another ¼ cup of wheat flour instead. The milk powder adds a little crispiness to the cookie. Of course, you can sub semi-sweet chocolate chips for the dark chocolate. I love shredded coconut in my chocolate chip cookies, but half of the family doesn’t so I don’t add it very often. To make your cookies last longer, bake 1/3 of the batch. Divide the remaining dough in half and form each into a log. Wrap the log in waxed paper and freeze. Store the frozen logs in Tupperware containers.
Family reviews: The cookies are fabulous and disappear quickly. We all miss the butter flavor in the dough, so we don’t eat as much of it. Probably a good thing. However, we don’t notice the lack of buttery flavor in the baked cookies.
No comments:
Post a Comment