Anonymous specified that her article is not a contest entry. Which means the Prep School Daily writing contest where you can win the PSD book of your choice is still wide open! Send your article on any food or medical-related preparedness topic to prepschooldaily@gmail.com. Winners for this last remaining contest will be announced September 1.
Speaking of being able to mend (as we did in previous posts), there are things that are needed, and some things that are nice to have on hand. Storage can be tricky, but our clever ancestors had multiple ways to store their sewing supplies. There were sewing machine stools with removable seats that had amazing storage (I had one that got lost in a move, sadly). There are side tables that open into a trove of storage and drawers. Ottomans and cabinets that stored sewing and knitting supplies. And smaller sewing boxes that were mostly used for hand mending. Once, when we had the room, I had an actual sewing room. I suspect that the room was originally a small nursery off the master bedroom. It was a joy. But, alas, we moved and downsized significantly.
But before the lists, I have a thought – how did we get to a point so quickly in our society where many (might I empirically say most?) adults no longer know how to mend, hem, lightly fit and keep clothing lasting longer? Not to mention make and tailor clothing from plain cloth. Not that long ago, being able to fit clothing that was purchased to your body size was a given. The more difficult fittings require a seamstress or tailor. It behooves one to be on good terms with your local seamstress or tailor. These days they are most difficult to find and very busy.
These simple mending skills are fairly easy to learn and will be valuable during a lifetime. It doesn’t matter if you’re saving money or saving time, knowing how to take care of yourself and your family is important. These skills were taught in public schools for decades. I taught my children, not that they remember. I’m counting on muscle memory kicking in when they realize the need for these skills:
- Sewing on a button
- Heming a pair of pants or skirt
- Taking in a waistband using a dart
- Sewing an invisible stitch
- How to thread elastic or a cord (as in a hoodie)
- Reinforce the knees of jeans and work pants
These are the items that are basic for mending:
- Good sewing scissors that are never used to cut anything else
- Thread in basic colors
- Button thread in white and black
- Pins
- Needles (All metal ones can be ironed over. Colored plastic ones are easy to see)
- Large safety pin
- Thimble
- Seam ripper
- Tape measure
- Tiny crochet hooks (for grabbing pulled threads back through)
In addition to the above items, these are items that are worth buying and storing. I highly suggest snooping around at estate sales. Many people sell off their elder relatives’ items not realizing the value/use they may have.
- Blanket or quilt bindings
- Sewing machine
- Hem tape – fabric
- Hem tape – sticky for emergencies
- Thread
- Ribbon
- Thimbles
- Ironing boards (small ones are excellent to have when mending)
- Tailoring hams
- Elastic of all shapes and sizes
- Bra closures
- Metal rings
- Zippers
- Snaps on cards
- Snaps and the applicator
- Velcro
- Buttons
- Button extenders
- Washable fabric pencils
- Denim patches
- Marking paper
- Patterns
- Embroidery thread
- Appliques
- Elbow patches
- Fabric
- Double sided tape
- Safety pins of all sizes
- Cords
- Belt pieces
- Bag handles
- Quilting supplies
- Cutting mats
- 6” rulers
- Sewing boxes/tables for storage
- Lace and tulle
- Interfacing
- Anything else that looks interesting and useful for a sewing kit
- Yarn, knitting needles and crochet hooks if wanted
There are also items that I always remove/save when finally tossing a piece of clothing that is no longer usable:
- Buttons (I have button jars)
- Good zippers
- Any usable fabric that just love or want to save
- Flannel for cleaning
- Cotton t-shirts are cut into rags
- Old towels are saved for dogs and work cleanup
- Old sheets (top sheets in our house) for the garden and to cover things when I’m painting
Many thanks to Anonymous for her willingness to help me out and spare you from too much repetition this summer.
I love this! I took home ec. in junior high and high school back in the 70’s. We learned to sew and cook. I made clothes for my kids when they were little and always for my daughter who was tall and thin. Clothes were too big for her if I bought the right length of garment. I still sew for myself and the little grandkids and repair husband’s work clothes and whatever else I can fix.
ReplyDeleteMending holes in socks is a great skill. Extending their life will become more important when / if socks are no longer manufactured or the desire to increase what you already have is there.
ReplyDeleteMy Grandmother taught me to run several circular loops around the hole, then crisscross the thread across the hole and loops to form a 'net around the hole. Prevents the hole from spreading out . Drawing the edges around the hole to draw them shut forms a bulge with forms blisters to the foot. Not the end result you were hoping for.
Thanks for the submission - great topic.