However, what's best for one family isn't necessarily what's best for you. Even what's best for my family may not work for yours. I've been at this game a long time, using my long-term storage, feeding my family, wanting to feed them very well and have very good food. And along the way I've learned a few principles that anyone can apply to their own situation. The point here is not to tell you what to buy or what not to store. It's to share some food for thought to consider as you build your food storage. And hopefully you can learn from our mistakes.
- Don't buy what you don't like or won't use, whatever the reason.
- In 2008 as the specter of an Obama presidency loomed larger, I became a little more stressed, along with many others, and I wanted more food storage. White wheat was in high demand and sold out in our area. I settled for red wheat. We don't like red wheat very much. In fact, I haven't opened any in years. White wheat has a milder taste and performs better in baked goods. We've got several hundred pounds of red wheat, though, and I don't want to throw it out. Ugh.
- We hate canned green beans. They don't taste good to us now. They won't taste good to us later. I'll grow my own and eat fresh, and dream about them the rest of the year.
- Dehydrated refried beans from the Home Storage Center have a short shelf life, like two years. I tried them a few times. They never reconstituted well for me. And I'm picky about my refried beans, so I prefer to use a pressure canner to make my own.
- I hate split peas. I won't cook with them. It doesn't matter how healthy they are or that they offer a change of pace. I will never be grateful for them. At least I hope not. So I have a very few, but only because I hate eating them and I hate throwing food away.
- My husband bought several pounds of white chocolate because it was "such a great deal." I'm not a white chocolate fan, and it didn't get used before going bad, which it did very quickly. Nasty, nasty stuff.
- I bought mung beans just for sprouting, so we could have bean sprouts for Chinese dishes. Who am I kidding? I am never going to get around to sprouting mung beans. At least I didn't buy a lot.
- Very early on in our food storage adventures, I think we were persuaded to get some fruit drink mix because we were told treated water could taste bad and it would be good to have drink mix to cover the nasty taste. But after being at this game for many years, we know how to make the water taste just fine. If you can taste or smell the chlorine or iodine or anything else you probably shouldn't be drinking the water. If for some reason we want something sweet and fake to drink, I'd rather use the small packets of Kool-Aid and make my own with real sugar.
- I wish I hadn't wasted money on food that is lacking in nutrition.
- So instead of buying those dried/fried banana chips, I now dry my own banana slices and buy freeze-dried bananas.
- The same goes for those milk alternatives. Yeah, they may taste better, but that's at the expense of good nutrition. They just don't have the same vitamin and mineral content of dry milk. Some aren't even close.
- Along those same lines, I wish I hadn't spent money on food that is too expensive.
- Yes, I truly believed that life would not be worth living without butter, so we bought a couple cases of Red Feather butter from New Zealand. I've never actually had any of it; I should probably give it a try now that it's been a few years.
- While I am glad to have dehydrated butter powder, I also wish I hadn't bought so much. It doesn't make great butter when mixed with water. It makes pretty darn good butter when mixed with coconut oil. However, coconut oil alone works very well as a butter substitute, and it's a whole lot cheaper.
- I wish I hadn't gotten any canned granola. It was part of a package deal, but it was just filling in the order on the freeze-dried fruits, so I feel like I lost some money there. I can make my own granola that tastes better (probably) with a longer shelf life for far less money.
- With the goal of being able to have reconstituted milk that my family would actually drink, I bought a lot of those expensive dry milk powders. They're about ten years old now, and still taste just fine. But all it takes is a little sugar and vanilla to make much cheaper milk from the Home Storage Center taste as good as the expensive stuff. That's a lot of money that can then be spent elsewhere.
- Then there are those things that just don't store well, no matter how we try.
- We really like red licorice here. Back when I was vacuum sealing all kinds of candy (for research purposes only, of course), I canned some red licorice. It does not work. Even for just 2-3 months. It didn't develop an off taste, but the texture just wasn't right. Something just goes wonky with them. Oh, and I'm talking about Red Vines, not Twizzlers. (The only thing Twizzlers are good for is feeding to chickens, but I suspect that might even be considered animal cruelty.)
- The same goes for marshmallows. They do not vacuum seal well at all. Again, the texture just gets all messed up. Fortunately, they aren't too difficult to make. (Subject of another post, someday.)
- And finally, we come to the stuff that just doesn't have a great shelf life.
- Of all the oils I have ever stored, vegetable oil goes rancid the quickest. On top of that, the vast majority of soybeans (they're what is used to make vegetable oil) are GMO. The now-rancid vegetable oil is being saved for oil candles and soap making. I have never had peanut, olive, or coconut oil become rancid on me, even after a few years of storage.
- I see ramen noodles recommended everywhere for food storage. They're definitely easy to prepare, but every ramen we've ever stored for more than a year has gone bad on us. Maybe our problem is that we like upper end ramen, but I would think the cheap noodles would go bad just as quickly. Since it appears to be the spice packet that has the issues, learning to mix our own spices for ramen noodles may be the better way to go.
- I like to store some cold cereal for breakfast, just as an occasional treat or for a hectic morning. In our experience, Golden Puffs, Raisin Bran, and Froot Loops just don't work. And it seems like anything with honey in it doesn't do well, either. It's best to stick with Rice Krispies, Chex, Corn Flakes, and Frosted Flakes.
Learn from the mistakes of others and be better prepared in your own family.
Links to related posts:
Canning Candy
Food Storage for Christmas
Wheat
Oils
Dry Milk
Beans
TEOTWAWKI Butter Options
22 june 2019
Jennifer given how nice Ramen is a Japanese noodle soup. It consists of Chinese wheat noodles served in a meat or fish-based broth.
ReplyDeleteDo you have some way to make the noodles out of your storage? Would simple pasta suffice as Ramen? I can make pasta out of wheat berries.
But I suspect that ramen noodles are somehow different?
Great list!! Thanks so much for sharing your lessons-learned! I’ve come to some of the same conclusions. Definitely NO on the milk substitutes, chocolate and Red Feather butter. I load the refried beans with extra garlic and cumin and they suit me, not so much for my husband, but he’s not normally a fan of the real ones.
ReplyDeleteWe live in Arizona, so summer heat can ruin most oils quickly. I have also stopped getting any oils except olive, coconut and a small loaf of lard that I keep in the freezer. I put a bottle of the new liquid coconut oil back to see how it fares after the expiration date. I hope I don’t need it before then!
I’ve cut way back on rice, too. We eat more pasta than rice. Pasta is more nutritious as well.
Most of the drink mix we have is the vitamin fortified stuff, and it will probably only be used as a way to break monotony, as we are water people and can make it taste fine. We’ve started occasionally opening one from storage, as they are getting past their best flavor. We won’t replace these.
I found that many commercial products that are not canned just don’t last more than a couple of years past their best-by dates. As for marshmallows, I tried dehydrating the mini’s. They dry wonderfully and rehydrate enough in hot beverages to spend the energy on them. Unfortunately, my husband can’t stop raiding them, so no marshmallows in my storage!
Here is my list of wish I had never bought
ReplyDelete- Red Feather butter is not very nice
- Red feather cheese - It's like hardened velvetta, not very palatable and has very little flavour.
- Long term storage canned meats - I had a couple cases of yodders and two cans in different cases exploded a year before the best by date. The canned bacon was good but pricey.
The only drink mixes I have is gatorade powder for the electrolytes.
I agree dehydrated bananas are nasty hard but the freeze dried ones I have to hide from the kids. Same with dehydrated vs freeze dried fruits and veggies - knowing what I know now I would never buy the dehydrated items.
TVP crap - early on I didn't know enough to verify that he items were soy free, so I have 4 cans of freeze dried taco mix that are TVP. I plan to use them for barter as one of the kids has an issue with Soy as does the mother in law.
Exile1981
Sorry to hear that about white chocolate. I don't like regular chocolate much; but perhaps that is just as well. ;-)
ReplyDeleteMy hubby has made "ramen" using linguini noodles broken up.
Having been military, we have eaten a LOT of ramen. All of us like it at different times. If it's the flavor packet; perhaps you could substitute making it in a flavored broth or adding some sort of bullion.
Thanks for this great list from experience.
Nice to know all the Ramen I have stashed away isn't going to be there when I need it.
ReplyDeletePerhaps you could make a post on making your own Flavor Packet replacements from stored goods?
I would like to see that one.
TIA,
Phil
I've found I can use bullion cubes, and garlic to sub for the flavor packets. Flavor variations of raw vs lightly cooked or even roasted garlic (Yummy). Onions can also be used. Fresh chopped green onion tops are a wonderful garnish.
ReplyDeleteIf your post SHTF bullion Cubes are mostly the cooking grease and salt from pan frying meats or veggies. Those "Brown Bits" that adding wine or water to make gravy-sauce with.
BTW Bacon Grease in Raman is excellent :-)
Glad to hear broken up pasta makes decent Ramen noodles. Was researching how to make Ramen Noodles something about alkaline water in the process using baking soda to get that silky nature?
This is a great subject! I will admit to buying loads of canned meat and have never tried it. Just the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies. I just need to bite the bullet and open one up. Thanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteI bought Mung Beans to sprout but found they up my blood sugar - I'm diabetic - however, I planted some very thickly in an outdoor pot and not only did they all sprout, they made a decent salad add in - harvest when just 2-4 leaves and above the 'bean'.
ReplyDeleteWe are currently using up a case of Red Feather Butter (another case is still in storage). I find it makes a great grilled cheese and is good in mashed potato and melted over summer squashes as well as use in casserole dishes.
ReplyDeleteThe easiest way to remove the butter from the can is to first refrigerate it. Then open both ends and push it out into a round storage item.
All in all its not a bad item. I would definitely recommend it for long term storage. It does need to be rotated. The case were are currently working through is two years old.
I had some Creole seasoning at a cook-out and loved it. Went to a local store and purchased 5 cans of the stuff (because I didn't want to run out). That was about 8 - 9 years ago and I still have at least two cans full - too much too fast ! They take up space.
ReplyDelete