Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Your Neighbor’s Vitamins after the Crash

Last month's blog posts Maintaining Nutritional Adequacy during a Prolonged Food Crisis and Nutritional Deficiencies in a Prolonged Food Crisis generated quite a few comments.  Michael recommended stocking vitamins to help the neighbors, his reasoning being that vitamin-deficient, malnourished neighbors pose the real risk of becoming a biohazard to the health of your own family.  And you know, that’s entirely plausible.  And vitamins don’t cost that much.  I even went to the pharmacy one morning last week where the mine employees and family members can purchase OTC meds, prescriptions, and supplements at cost.  We can get a year’s supply of most single vitamins for just a dollar or two, or a multi-vitamin for about $5.  That’s really pretty reasonable.

But then I got to thinking, do I really want to stock up on vitamins for the whole street?  That might be forty people.  Sure, we’d do it for Al and his wife in a heartbeat.  Al maintains our private road year-round.  But that California couple that refuses to contribute to the road fund, has nothing nice to say about our little community, and wishes they’d never left their beloved Golden State?  Well, ….

And then what about the next street over?  I’m not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole.  Especially when there are vitamins growing all around us.  The above-mentioned blog posts got me to wondering whether we could satisfy our dietary needs for vitamins and minerals using just the plants that are native here.  And so I went searching the blog archives using the search bar at the right.  I was really pleased by what I discovered.

So what are the best non-traditional sources of essential vitamins and minerals?

Vitamin A—dandelion, dill, lamb’s quarter, cayenne peppers, mallow, passion fruit, raspberry leaves

Vitamin B1—arrowroot, lamb’s quarter, raspberry leaves

Vitamin B2—chokecherries, lamb’s quarter, passion fruit, raspberry leaves

Vitamin B3—arrowroot, dill, lamb’s quarter, passion fruit, raspberry leaves

Vitamin B9—arrowroot, milk thistle

Vitamin B12—hard to get from plants 

Vitamin C—currants, gooseberries, pine needle tea, rose hips, dandelions, elderberries, juniper needles, lamb’s quarter, nasturtiums, parsley, passion fruit, purslane, raspberry leaves, viburnum berries, wheatgrass

Vitamin D—people gotta get in the sun.  End of story.

Calcium—arrowroot, dandelion, dill, lamb’s quarter, Mormon tea, nasturtiums, passion fruit, raspberry leaves, Russian thistle

Iodine—dandelion

Iron—cayenne peppers, chrysanthemum leaves, dandelion, lamb’s quarter, dock, nasturtiums, passion fruit, raspberry leaves, willow leaves

Magnesium—arrowroot, dandelion, dill, nasturtiums, purslane, raspberry leaves, Russian thistle, sunflower seeds, wheatgrass, Epsom salts

Potassium—arrowroot, dandelion, dill, nasturtiums, raspberry leaves

Zinc—dandelion, nasturtiums, raspberry leaves

I’m really glad I did this little exercise.  What did I learn?  Getting vitamin B9 from the wild around here may be a little problematic.  We do have milk thistles growing, but not a lot.  People will need to be sure to grow cole crops and leafy green veggies.  As dandelion is the only source for iodine, stocking iodized salt and povidone-iodine may be prudent.  Vitamin B12 has no good sources among plants in the wild.  Healthy people usually have a year’s supply stored in their bodies, but if you’ve got any elderly individuals or people using stomach acid medications, you may want to store B12 supplements for them.  Did you see that dandelions cover all essential mineral needs?  And did you see that raspberry leaves alone will take care of most other essential vitamin and mineral needs?  (Well, except for vitamin D.  However, we’ve got the sun for that.)  Mind-blowing. 

Of course, getting our nutrients from regular food that we’ve stored and grown is the ideal.  Being well-prepared is always the ideal.  In addition, it’s in our best interest to be well-prepared to help neighbors, if not with actual supplies, at the very least with actionable information they can use to meet their needs when the just-in-time system no longer does.

Links to related posts:

Dietary Deficiency and Consequences--Vitamin A
                                                                Vitamin B1
                                                                Vitamin B2
                                                                Vitamin B3
                                                                Vitamin B5, B6, B7
                                                               Vitamin B9
                                                                Vitamin B12
                                                                Vitamin C  
                                                                Vitamin D
                                                                Calcium  
                                                                Iodine  
                                                                Iron
                                                                Magnesium
                                                                Potassium  
                                                                Zinc

 

14 comments:

  1. Usually people get b12 from meat, the kind in the vitamins is from a bacteria. I used to work with a vegan who told me that our bodies don't do well on the pill b12 and really need a animal source at least every 3 months.

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So how did that work for the vegan? A wild breakfast of steak and eggs every three months?

      Delete
    2. She nearly died after a year, ended up in ICU and decided to start eating meeting at least once a week. Been in good health since then.

      Exile1981

      Delete
  2. What i learned from this is raspberry leaves rock as a supplement. Do they have to be fresh? Could you freeze dry them and keep most of the nutrition? Now I have some research to do.

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fresh would be best. I suspect freeze-dried will work well enough in a crisis. I'd be most concerned about vitamin C loss, but that's easy enough to compensate for with other herbs and foods.

      Delete
  3. You'd be opening yourself up to toooooo much unnecessary scrutiny by passing out bottles of vitamins - almost as bad as trying to share food >> and save the "I'll swear them to secrecy"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I was unclear. My ongoing motto is protect your trusted friends and trusted family.

    I don't feed random people but I will pay honest folks in food for their daily labor. People will show their real nature under stress and manual labor.

    Some will earn a level of trust.

    As far as trying to teach stressed out people about healthy wild food sources, good luck.

    First the REASON That hunter-gathers fell to farming societies is density of Calories. Hungry self absorbed modern people will not do well transiting from frozen pizza and DoorDash to grub in the dirt gathering.

    They WILL I suspect show the basic nature of greedy,violent takers of "Selfish Hoarders ".not pretty how hungry act around well fed folks.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how people who have not shopped for groceries in a month in years because they eat out every meal will do with any ingredients you give them. Seriously one person i work with is on a 14/14 shift. When doing the 2 weeks at site they live in the camp there and eat in the cafeteria like everyone else but they also eat out every neal on the 14 days they are at home. They mentioned they had not bought groceries outside of pop and snacks since precovid... I don't consider either item they buy as food.

      Exile1981

      Delete
  5. This is seriously a great list and resource--thanks for doing all the research! I do grow a lot of dill as I plant it next to the zucchini to help ward off squash bugs. It even seems to help some. But I am now determined to plant some raspberries.
    --Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nutritional Yeast is generally fortified with B12...two TBLspns = U.S. Daily recommended amount. Also, each serving of regular beer, you can obtain between 5 and 10 percent of your daily value for vitamins like folic acid, niacin, riboflavin and vitamin B6 and B12, and folate. (unfiltered craft beers with yeast are best)
    Also : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32366139/

    ReplyDelete
  7. After a social economic crash, I wonder how much Nutritional Yeast and unfiltered craft beers will be affordable or even available.

    Guess history will repeat again and home-village beer brewing will again be common.

    Might want to look into vitamin improvement of fermented foods like beer, kimchee and real sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd how sometimes I come up as Michael and other times anon.

      Delete
  8. Duckweed with bioavailable B12: https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC7600829/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a GREAT find! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete