Friday, October 20, 2023

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café--Hot Cinnamon Milk Mix

I knew when I published volume 1 of Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Using Powdered Milk earlier this year that there would appear many more ways of using powdered milk.  Finding recipes for how the US Navy made ice cream from milk powder was one of them.  A sad one, I might note. 

Anyway, I purposely wanted some blank space in the book so that people could write in new recipes as they appear.  Last week’s recipes for liquid and powdered coffee creamers (which have application far beyond coffee) should definitely be added.  I hadn’t previously considered them because, you know, we don’t drink coffee here.  I’d forgotten that half the family likes to add some of the flavored ones to their hot chocolate.

Anyway, I came across the following recipe for Hot Cinnamon Milk Mix a couple of weeks ago.  It looked like something my husband would enjoy, and it happened to call for powdered coffee creamer. 

Hot Cinnamon Milk Mix

2 cups instant powdered milk

1 cup dry powdered coffee creamer

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.

Hot Cinnamon Milk mixes up just like instant hot chocolate.  Pour hot water into a mug and stir in three heaping spoonfuls of hot cinnamon milk mix.  Add a few drops of vanilla extract, stir well, and enjoy.

Family reviews:  Aaron really enjoyed this, slurping it down without a second thought as to what actually was in it.  Becky was shocked to learn I’d made it with powdered milk, twelve-year-old powdered milk, I might add.  It reminded her of horchata, except that it was hot. 

Now, is this Hot Cinnamon Milk going to replace hot chocolate as the go-to warm beverage for winter?  I doubt it.  Hot chocolate rules for a reason.  But hot cinnamon offers a change of pace and an option for those who run out of cocoa powder, or don’t wish to run out of cocoa by sharing too much.  I wouldn’t hesitate to serve it to guests or take it to a church social.  It really is that good.

Of course, it’s also a tasty way to rotate powdered milk in your food storage.

Links to related posts:

Homemade Coffee Creamers 

Basics of Powdered Milk 

Basic Food Storage—An In-Depth Discussion of Dry Milk 

The Trick to Making a Great Hot Chocolate Mix—and DIY Nesquik

Horchata  

Ice Cream of the US Navy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat