Several years ago, back when we lived north of Reno, I was slowly walking down the dairy aisle at my local Grocery Outlet store when I paused at the coffee creamers. There were dozens of quarts of some really high end stuff, and because it was short-dated the price was down to about a quarter, as I recall.
If you recall from previous articles, we don’t drink coffee here. There would be no ostensible reason for me to buy any coffee creamer. And yet, I had to take a look at the ingredients. Cream, with about 15% fat content. Sugar. And that was it. The wheels started turning, and then everything clicked. See, I’d worked at a Swensen’s Ice Cream shop back in high school and Chester, the manager, made all our ice cream on site. He boasted that we had something like 14-15% butterfat in our base ice cream mixture.
What I was looking at in those bottles of coffee creamer was essentially ice cream mix for 25 cents per quart. I got a few bottles to try it out at home before committing to more. Aaron made the ice cream; it was to die for. By the time I went back to the store, the price had dropped to 10 cents, and then a few days later 2.5 cents per bottle. We really loaded up. Much of the ice cream went to my mother-in-law who had become extremely picky about what she would eat and was losing too much weight.
Unfortunately, the following coffee creamer recipes will be nothing like the creamer I bought at Grocery Outlet years ago. Sorry to disappoint.
However, every once in a while I come across a recipe calling for coffee creamer, which, of course, I never have on hand. And some folks are going to want a creamer for their coffee when trips to the grocery store become a thing of the past. My husband and daughter like adding it to their hot chocolate at work.
Liquid Coffee Creamer
2 cups boiling water
1 1/3 cups powdered milk
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter (or coconut oil)
1/8-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pour boiling water into blender. Add in milk powder, sugar, and
butter. Blend on high one minute. Add in vanilla and blend a few
more seconds.
Powdered Coffee Creamer
1 cup powdered milk
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 ½ teaspoons coconut oil, melted
Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Store in an airtight container. Use as you would any powdered coffee creamer.
Vienna Coffee Creamer
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup powdered milk
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container
Toffee Coffee Creamer
1 cup powdered coffee creamer
1/2 cup brown sugar
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container.
Pumpkin
Pie Spice Coffee Creamer
1 cup powdered coffee creamer
4
teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cloves
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container.
Mocha Coffee
Creamer
1 ½ cups powdered coffee creamer
2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container.
Chocolate Mint Coffee Creamer
¾ cup powdered coffee creamer
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ cup Dutch process cocoa
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container.
Amaretto Coffee Creamer
¾ cup powdered coffee creamer
1 teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup powdered sugar
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container.
Family reviews: OK, I gotta be honest here. I only tried out the powdered coffee creamer in a recipe that will post next week. (The family loved it.) We don’t drink coffee, and it isn’t quite time for hot chocolate yet.
Links to related posts:
Basic Food Storage—Pantry Staple Substitutes
Using Dry Milk Powder
No comments:
Post a Comment