Friday, August 18, 2023

Sourdough Pancakes

Just as many others, I’d say more than half the country, I am disturbed with recent events in Washington.  Most of our elected leaders are traitors who have sold us into slavery.  There’s a lot more to say on that issue and it has been and is being said by people far more eloquent than I.  Nothing I can write or say will change what is going on there and what is coming to each of our homes.  My job is to make sure that our side has the knowledge and skills to provide good food and medicine for our families and win the war. 

Growing up, I never really cared for pancakes.  They came from a box and they were served with margarine and fake syrup, which bothered me even then.  They were often a bit too thick and doughy.

My husband's childhood also involved margarine and fake syrup, but he was raised in a home where breakfast was almost always served hot every day.  And one of the things he liked to make was sourdough pancakes.  Naturally, I was skeptical when he first made them, but I tasted them to be polite.  And they were actually really, really good.  For years they were the only pancakes I would eat.  Then my daughter discovered a recipe for truly divine sour cream blueberry pancakes with fresh blueberry syrup, and I experimented with a recipe using whole wheat berries to make pancakes in a blender.  Those were pretty good as well. 

If you have a sourdough starter already going, use that in the recipe below.  If not, here's how my husband always begins his pancakes:

Sourdough Pancake Starter
Begin the night before:
2 cups flour 
1 tablespoon dry yeast
2 cups warm water
  
Combine the ingredients in a large bowl.

The next morning, remove 1/2 cup of the starter and put it in a pint canning jar with lid and refrigerate. Use this as the starter for the next batch of pancakes, adding the two cups of water and two cups of flour to start again the night before pancakes are wanted.

Sourdough Pancakes
To the starter remaining in the bowl from above stir in the following:
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-2 eggs
3 tablespoons oil

Mix thoroughly.  Bake on a lightly greased hot griddle.

Links to related posts:

All the Different Kinds of Yeast

Whole Wheat Pancakes

Basic Food Storage--Wheat

1.8.21

13 comments:

  1. A heartfelt "thank you" for the job you do. No one knows when the storm will hit us, but we all feel it in the air. Thank GOD for like-minded people who are trying to help us prepare for something we can't even imagine. Life is getting harder all the time. We have 7 grandchildren from 19 to 8 and I worry for them.
    This recipe looks delicious, we will be making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, these pancakes are so, so good. I look forward to fall when cold morning temperatures keep us inside a little longer and my husband decides to make breakfast.

      Delete
  2. Please don't make this a political site. I'm so tired of politics. Since the beginning of the democracy there has been trouble and wrongdoing, someone is always dissatisfied with what the other side is doing. We can only use the ballot box and our voices to be heard. My partner was involved in local politics and that was horrible. Go up the ladder, it gets worse. So please, don't turn this precious site into a who's right or who's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your thoughts, and this blog is not and will never be a political one. However, if we don't call out evildoing, evil continues. The vast majority of leaders in this once great country are corrupt to the core, be they Democrat, Republican, in business, military, medicine, education, etc. And there is no way the ballot box and our voices will correct all that is wrong.

      “When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.” John Basil Barnhill.

      “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell.

      Delete
    2. Agree... agree

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the recipe. I have a question. Do you need to let the starter in the jar warm up to room temperature before using it and adding the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the night before you want pancakes, take the jar out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature and feed it with flour and water. In the morning, add the remaining ingredients to make pancakes.

      Delete
  4. Keep up the great work, Jennifer. I have no vision of where all this ends, but - like every other culture in history - end it will, one way or another. I'd like it to be a long, long way away. My focus is to allow my loved ones to to keep on with a little human comfort and full bellies. I so appreciate your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. Some days I want the crash to be delayed as long as possible. Other days I just want to get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the sourdough pancake recipe. I made these Sunday morning (using one egg and "tinny" smelling AP flour from a #10 can). The results were very, very good. I may add a touch of cinnamon or vanilla extract to the next batch (at least until I work my way through the canned flour).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried airing out the flour yet? Sometimes just letting it sit in a bowl on the counter for a couple of days will help dissipate the metallic smell/taste.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have poured it into a large bowl, covered with a towel, stirred and sifted often for about a week. It smelled a lot better when I put it into a container to store. Now, the flour has resumed its metallic aroma and flavor. :( Since this is the first of the HSC cans that I've opened, I may have to find an alternative use for the remaining five cans from this case.

      Delete
    3. Play dough, dog biscuits, or bread dough Christmas ornaments?

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat