Sunday, January 8, 2023

Review of Long Term Food Storage and Minimum Recommended Amounts

As I peruse various recommendations for what food people should be storing in anticipation of collapse in the US, and really, around the whole world, I am dismayed to see how little attention is paid to the life-sustaining and most economical basics.  

Of course, it's also important to store what the family eats on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, what most families eat regularly--McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Burger King--isn't really compatible with long-term food storage.  It would be best if those families learned to incorporate basic food storage items into their everyday diet before it's forced upon them.  Wishful thinking on my part.

Bread (i.e., whole grains) really is the staff of life.  Beans provide so much fiber and other solid nutrition.  Add in milk, salt, sugar, and oil in the recommended ratios and you will meet all basic nutritional needs.  It's not terribly exciting, but people can survive on this. 

Leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have counseled their members since at least the time of their arrival in the Salt Lake valley to store food.  Moses counseled the children of Israel to do the same.  It's what is known as an eternal principle.  God has always commanded His children to be self-reliant.  And because these church leaders have been counseling their members to store food, they've also made resources for acquiring much of this food economically and provided suggested amounts for meeting minimum caloric and nutritional requirements.  Following are two lists that have been offered over the years. 

  • List A: 
    • 300 lbs grains, 
    • 75 lbs dry milk,
    • 60 lbs dry beans and legumes, 
    • 60 lbs sugar, 
    • 20 lbs oil, 
    • 8 lbs salt.
  • List B: 
    • 400 lbs grains, 
    • 20 lbs dry milk, 
    • 60 lbs dry beans and legumes, 
    • 60 lbs sugar, 
    • 20 lbs oil, 
    • 10 lbs salt.

Both lists provide 2000 calories per day for one year.  List A is what the Church recommended for years.  They are both quite similar, with list A including much more milk and a little less salt.  List A was recommended for all people until just a few years ago.  However, it was observed that most people will not happily drink powdered milk, and dry milk really needs to be rotated.  It's also the most expensive item in long term storage.  So the lists were adjusted to still provide for all caloric and nutritional needs.  A little more salt was added to list B because more bread baking requires more salt for flavor.  List A is still what is advised for children and pregnant and nursing women who need the extra vitamins and calcium for proper development. Also, bear in mind that children under the age of six need only half the recommended amounts; children six through twelve need three-fourths of the recommended amounts. 

On a daily basis, this breaks down to the following amounts for List B:

Wheat         1.1 lbs         2 1/3 cups
Beans          2.6 oz         1/3 cup
Dry milk     0.7 oz          2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon
Oil              0.88 oz        2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon
Sugar          2.6 oz          1/3 cup
Salt             0.44 oz        2 teaspoons

Visually, this is what you get:

This is for all three meals for one day. 

 

Well, you think, that looks ok.  But, did you remember?  That is for all three meals for the whole day!

This is the most economical way to stockpile and begin your family food storage.  Is it really what you want to be limited to, each and every day, for a year?  Probably not.  But remember, it's your foundation.  You start with the economical basics and add in little bits of other items to create variety. 



Links to related posts:
Calories and Recommended Food Storage Amounts
Minnesota Starvation Experiment 

7 comments:

  1. Exactly. Start with the pantry staples/basics and go from there adding vegetables and fruits either by producing it yourself or purchasing it on a regular basis.
    Its what I've been doing for a few years now. I do both of producing and drying/canning and also purchasing.
    I don't have the area for having livestock of any kind so I've had to go with commercially freeze-dried meats for long term storage and canned meats for rotation (and boy are they expensive). But that is my situation so I'm dealing with as I can.
    I do the same with herbs and spices. Herbs I can grow and dry but spices are imports so I have to purchase those.
    A little at a time and one foot in front of the other. Thats the way to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that we can't grow pepper here and that it was worth its weight in gold a few hundred years ago makes me buy a lot of it. And cinnamon and nutmeg. My husband's world will come to an end without nutmeg.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, your post is thought provoking. "Just the basics" example of calories. What does a sample menu look like if I were able to prepare "just the basics" as shown?-- I think I would need a wheat grinder of some sort to convert the grain or beans. This assumes I have energy (fire to cook) to process these ingredients into a digestible form. How would I use the 1/3 C of sugar? This is scary especially after I've read your post about the "Minnesota Starvation Experiment". I am grateful for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just barely read the Minnesota Starvation Experiment—wow!! I heard somewhere that men who consume less than around 2,000 calories per day lose interest in everything…absolutely everything. I’m even more motivated to keep up on my food storage. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find historical accounts motivate me the most. With everyone around us in complete denial, it would be easy to pretend that nothing bad will happen. But in history, we see what happened to those in denial, and the better outcome for those who prepared.

      Delete
    2. A historical read about the food system in GB during WWII..."Eggs and Anarchy"

      Delete
    3. Great read. So many lessons to learn from that book. I posted an article about it on 16 February 2022. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat