Friday, January 13, 2023

Peanut Butter Granola—Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café

Last month, I hit the clearance shelves at my local Smith’s at just the right time.  They’d just been stocked with a couple dozen glass jars of organic peanut butter.  I limited myself to just seven or eight; Aaron and the girls don’t really like natural peanut butter, so it’s pretty much just for me.  I love peanut butter.  I could easily eat a couple spoonfuls, or fingerfuls, of it every day.  Unfortunately, it’s more calories than I should consume on a daily basis.

However, right now I’m kicking myself for not buying all of them.  You see, I just came across a recipe at Store This, Not That for some incredible peanut butter granola.  I altered it just a little so that it utilizes only shelf-stable ingredients. 

Super Delicious Peanut Butter Granola
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup water
1 1/3 cups coconut oil
2/3 cup peanut butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
12 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and water, stirring occasionally until the sugar is completely dissolved.  Stir in the peanut butter, coconut oil, salt, and vanilla, and continue stirring until the peanut butter and coconut oil are melted and the mixture is completely smooth.  In a large bowl, combine the oats and cinnamon (if desired).  Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oats and mix well.  Spread the mixture onto two greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 325°F for 25 minutes and then switch racks in the oven for more even browning.  Bake an additional 10 minutes and then turn the oven off but leave the granola in the closed oven to continue drying for a few hours.  When completely cool, store the granola in an airtight container.

Reviews:  This is really good all by itself as a snack, or with milk for a breakfast cereal.  If, however, you are serving this at the TEOTWAWKI Café, make a yogurt parfait with it, layering the granola, vanilla yogurt, and bananas.  Oh. My. Goodness.  To. Die. For.

Links to related posts:
References:
http://storethisnotthat.com/recipe/super-delicious-peanut-butter-granola/

3 comments:

  1. Sounds really good, but I'm not understanding the oven racks thing. It doesn't make sense to me. What rack do you start with, and what rack do you move them to, so it browns more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. I wasn't sure myself whether I was being clear enough, but didn't quite know what to do to fix it. So in my oven I have five positions for the two racks. If I put one rack on the second position and the other at the fourth position, if I am using two cookie sheets, the one on the second position (closer to the heating element) always gets browner than the one on the fourth position. I switch them halfway through the baking time so that the brown more evenly.

      Delete
    2. ah! okay! Thanks. Now I understand lol

      Delete