The blog hit two milestones this month—over a million hits and 1500 articles. I certainly never imagined either ever happening. Of course, that’s nowhere near the audience other bloggers and Youtubers enjoy, and that’s ok. Though I really want the info I share to be spread more widely so that we can all be better prepared to weather the coming storms, I am content knowing this is what my Heavenly Father wants me to do. We both know I would have stroked out at the mere idea of doing videos. (Make-up, hair, cleaning the house to perfection every day? Shoot me now.) There are those people who learn best from the written word and appreciate being able to print a hard copy for future reference. Without all the pictures of boiling water and rising bread.
I check the numbers that Blogger provides on the statistics page several times each week. Of course, most of the hits come from the English-speaking world and through links from prepping websites and blogs. One reader informed me that s/he read that the articles here were being translated into Polish. And over 15,000 views from Sweden suggest to me that there is a small group of people there who appreciate this information, even if I don’t provide metric equivalents.
As with last year, I had to repeat a lot of articles due to time constraints. Many medical articles were repeats, but not all. And as I re-ran those articles, I was also reminded of what I had previously learned and need to retain better in the memory banks for future reference. More articles dealt with gardening and methods for improving the harvest in adverse conditions.
Food articles, many of which didn’t make the Top Ten list, centered a lot more on making basics from scratch and using substitutions. Eggless Mayonnaise was one of my favorites, not for the cost savings, but simply from the standpoint of being able to make mayonnaise when the hens aren’t laying and store-bought eggs are running close to 50 cents each.
The nationwide shortage of amoxicillin is probably why that article was popular, and the Master Medical Shopping List continues to be the most popular article posted over the last four years. Four Ways to Maximize the Shelf Life of Cooking Oils must have been linked from a popular blog somewhere, as I wrote it three years ago and it became the most popular food-related post of this year.
So below are the top ten most popular articles that your fellow preppers who read this blog found most interesting. If you haven't read them yet, go ahead and check them out. And share them, if you are so blessed to have like-minded friends and family. The more we all prepare, the better off we'll be.
The changes we’ve seen in 2022 are greater than I could have imagined at the beginning of the year, and at this rate we’ll see far more interesting things in 2023. The fabric of our society continues to weaken as if being devoured by moths. Everywhere I hear of increasing rudeness and disrespect. We’re being invaded and our electrical grid is constantly being hacked. I didn’t think we’d make it through 2022 without becoming embroiled in another war (one that affects us in the US in a very real way), and yet here we are.
Maybe we’ll get lucky again and have another year to learn and prepare. But it’s best not to hold our collective breath on this.
Jennifer, Thank you for posting so faithfully every day. Prep School Daily is my first stop on the internet every day. I review the archives often for homemade substitutes (like graham cracker recipes and sugardyne) regularly. It is comforting to feed the family or heal their wounds without going into town unnecessarily. Keep up the great work! It is appreciated! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteComments like yours give me the strength to power on. Thank you.
DeleteThank you for all you do, Jennifer.
ReplyDeleteI don't comment very often, but I also appreciate your blog. Your articles contain a wealth of knowledge which is very helpful for both daily living and preparing for an uncertain future. Thank you for your dedication to helping others.
ReplyDeleteI think that's the hardest and most important part--incorporating small changes into our daily lives so that when something big happens, we're already ready for it.
DeleteThank you for everything you do Jennifer. I have learned so much reading your articles and then doing more research on my own.
ReplyDeleteDoing your own research is absolutely critical. We can't just be armchair preppers relying on the efforts of others. We have to know whether something is going to work in our kitchen or location. What works for me at 6400 feet in the desert may not work quite the same at sea level in a rain forest.
DeleteHere's my end of the year effort to thank you for all you do. Gathering the information that you pass on to readers every day is a time- consuming effort, but the results pay off for your readers. Please keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteI will try my best!
DeleteI’ve shared you website (specifically storing oil) with several wards. Thank you Jennifer.
ReplyDeleteI left out the r. I hate when that happens.😧
ReplyDeleteMe too. Especially here for everyone to see.
Delete