Thursday, July 9, 2026

Potato Flakes and Potato Pearls: What's the Difference?

Believe it or not, potato flakes and potato pearls (also known as potato gems and instant potatoes) are two entirely different creatures.

Potato pearls/instant potatoes.  The usual ingredients include potatoes, salt, butter (cream, salt), partially hydrogenated canola oil, monoglycerides, diglycerides, milk, sunflower lecithin.  The ingredients vary a little among the manufacturers, but they are essentially all the same.  Freshness is preserved with sodium bisulfite and BHT.  They generally have a shelf-life of about eighteen months.   These instant potatoes are prepared by putting 1/2 cup of instant potatoes into a container.  Add one cup hot or boiling water.  Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.  Fluff with a fork and serve.  Makes 2 servings.

Potato flakes.  I've only found one brand that is straight dehydrated potato flakes--Bob's Red Mill.  Other potato flake brands usually have at least some additives and preservatives.  For all brands of potato flakes, butter, milk, and salt must be added to make mashed potatoes.  When packaged for long-term storage, they have a shelf life of up to 30 years. 

My family and I really prefer our mashed potatoes to be made from fresh potatoes.  We grow potatoes, and if we have a good harvest, we store the potatoes.  Life's just better that way.  But we haven't had a massive garden since moving to the high desert on the side of a mountain.  Growing large quantities of potatoes hasn't been an option for us for several years.  So we include the dehydrated flakes.  My husband also insisted on storing potato pearls them because he grew up on them and likes them.  He's the only one who uses them.  They taste really fake to the rest of us.   I don't have anything more to write about potato pearls.

Potato flakes, on the other hand, well, we can talk about those for a while.

A little while back, I needed to clean out the freezer to make some space.  Spying some hamburger and mixed veggies, I figured it would be a good night for shepherd's pie.  And that I could try out some of those potato flakes.  The recipe on the can calls for 3 cups boiling water, 1/4 cup butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup milk, and 3 cups potato flakes.  I was pretty sure I didn't need that much, so I scaled the recipe down to 2/3 that amount.  And I remembered that I had some yogurt in the fridge that didn't set.  I could use that instead of the milk.  And I remembered adding sour cream to mashed potatoes in the past to make shepherd's pie, and that it worked out nicely.

So I mixed up the potatoes with the yogurt.  And I tasted.  I had to reluctantly admit they were OK.  Just ok.  Then I stirred in the sour cream.  These buggers were tasty!  I think the texture still whispered they were from a box, but they were good.  I licked the fork I used for stirring.  Then I used my finger to clean the sides and bottom of the pan.  Ouch.  That was embarrassing.  Then, because I had plopped down the last spoonful on top of the shepherd's pie, and because my husband wasn't looking, I carefully picked up that little plop and popped it in my mouth.

You have no idea how happy I am that my kids weren't watching.  The shame of it all.

Anyway, so now you know those potatoes can be made to taste pretty good.  And truth be told, I'd actually prefer these to home-canned potatoes turned into mashed potatoes.  Maybe it was because we didn't can the right variety of potatoes, but the instant just tasted much better.  They had a better texture.  I'll limit the home canning of potatoes to French fries and beef stew.

And in case you were wondering, there are a whole lot of ways to use potato flakes beyond making mashed potatoes.  You're going to want to stock up.  We'll cover some uses in the following weeks.

Links to related posts:
Instant Soups for Emergency Kits
More Dough Enhancers for Lighter, Softer Bread 
Slug Burgers
Seven Really Diverse Ways to Use Instant Potato Flakes
Deep Fried Zucchini 

For further reading:
http://www.potatoesusa.com/potato-products/dehydrated-potatoes
http://happypreppers.com/potato-flakes.html
https://www.cooksinfo.com/instant-mashed-potato-flakes
https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/surprising-recipes-with-potato-flakes/
https://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-flakes.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/instant-mashed-potatoes-taste-test-whats-the-best-brand.html
https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-make-mashed-potatoes-with-chicken-broth/
https://theprovidentprepper.org/potato-flakes-delicious-and-versatile-long-term-food-storage-staple/ 
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1OyCER6-Z0g1AXE8-uFnKwh58aRXo6nQCvssEYuozgBQ&hl=en

 

2 comments:

  1. Shepherd's pie is how I use them and to make fried potato cakes. Also making potatoes soup when I only have a couple of potatoes left.
    Hubby has to have real potatoes for mashed potatoes too. Me I don't care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looked at slug burgers. Yep on the menu.

    ReplyDelete

Edema in Armageddon