Saturday, June 18, 2022

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Homemade Valentina’s Sauce

A couple of weeks ago I became aware of the SouthernPrepper1 Youtube channel.  Now, I don’t normally watch many Youtubes for prepping or anything else.  Some offer nothing of value to me—just mindless repetition of what everyone else has been saying for years.  Others offer “super secret” intel that the world is falling apart tomorrow, and you better buy all the stuff you need right now—oh, and use my handy Amazon link.  But this SouthernPrepper1 gentleman has been different—just reporting information that his viewers submit.  He call it his “Boots on the Ground” report, and he’s been doing it for at least a week or two.  Basically, people are relaying personal experiences with problems in the supply chain.

It’s a little disturbing to hear all the different ways things are falling apart, especially with regard to food and medicine.  If we weren’t as prepared as we are, I think I’d be coming totally unhinged.  It’s one thing not to be able to buy tampons or Gatorade.  There are alternatives.  But baby formula?  Especially for those women who couldn’t breastfeed their babies?  And what about basic medical supplies?  No lidocaine?  No pee cups? 

We’re a country on the verge of collapse.

The main condiment that people couldn’t get during the covid kerfluffle seemed to be those little packets of ketchup.  But now, with numerous companies unable to procure basic packaging—plastics, bottles, etc., or the ingredients, our access to so many foods we have taken for granted is becoming limited.  Last week I posted a recipe for sriracha sauce because the main supplier in this country stopped making it, due to problems in getting the chilies required. 

Having condiments to season our favorite dishes will go a long way towards maintaining good morale and making our food taste so much better.  With that thought in mind, I figured I should post a recipe for Valentina’s.  It’s a Mexican sauce often used for seasoning tacos, tamales, and other dishes.  And with only five ingredients, it’s so, so easy to make at home.

Valentina’s

1 cup distilled white vinegar

1 cup water

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons hot paprika

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon sugar, optional

 

In a small saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 1 minute. 

Remove from heat and let sit for 4-5 minutes.

Pour into a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes on high speed, or until smooth.

Pour the sauce into a clean jar and seal.  Refrigerate.

Let the sauce rest for a few hours to improve the texture and consistency.

Other Condiments to DIY:

Ketchup  

Mayo  

Mustard  

Salsa  

Sriracha Sauce

References:

https://www.maricruzavalos.com/homemade-valentina-sauce/

06.08.24

2 comments:

  1. I wish the southern prepper 1 posted on Rumble. I don’t watch anything on you tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I personally loathe Facebook, so I don't post anything there. I find a lot of good info on the few Youtubes that I watch, and I really appreciate his intel.

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat