I don't know what planet I've been on for the past several years, but holy cow, I had no idea shingles was such a common disease. The only mention I heard of it growing up was when my dad was roofing to bring in extra money. Shingles were wood used to cover houses. When my father-in-law and then grandfather-in-law got them, it was in my mind pretty rare illness I didn't need to worry about. No one in my family ever had it.
However, according to the Centers for Disease
Control, it might be time for a little wake-up. Their data show that
one in three Americans will get shingles at least once. Those at risk
of developing shingles are those who have had chickenpox. That's about
99 percent of people born before 1980. While children as young as nine
have been afflicted with shingles, it generally affects only those over
the age of fifty, and the risk increases with age. And it more commonly
occurs in individuals with lowered immune function, especially due to
stress, and chronic diseases. TEOTWAWKI might qualify as stressful, so
it would be a good idea to learn a bit more about shingles now so that
we can prepare for it.
Shingles (Herpes zoster) is an infection caused by the chickenpox
virus, generally only affecting individuals who have previously had
chickenpox. The virus is not contagious in that it cannot cause
shingles in another person; however, it is contagious to those who have
not had chickenpox or been vaccinated against the disease. Like with
chickenpox, the patient is contagious until the blisters scab over. But
in contrast to chickenpox, covering the blisters generally prevents
spreading the disease to others at risk.
Risk factors. Those at greatest risk for developing shingles include:
- Being over 60 years
- Female
- Caucasian
- History of immune disease
- Family history
- Injury
- Poor gut health
- Stress
- Taking drugs that affect the immune system
The risk for shingles increases with age, with half of individuals over
the age of 80 experiencing it at some point. Family history plays a
significant role, as does emotional stress and physical injury. Women
are more likely than men to develop shingles, especially with age.
Caucasians are twice as likely as individuals from other races to be
afflicted.
Prevention. The first preventative measure would involve never
getting chickenpox in the first place. It's a little late for most of
us. There are two shingles vaccines. The first, Zostavax, only
decreased the risk of developing shingles by half and the risk of the
subsequent neuropathy by two-thirds. The new vaccine, Shingrix, which
came out in 2019, appears to be 97% effective. Beyond this, the best
bets for preventing shingles are maintaining good health and avoiding
stress.
Symptoms. Before the shingles rash appears, many patients report
feeling an itchiness or tingling sensation and can even feel it moving
through the body. The first sign is a line or patch of painful blisters
that suddenly appears, most often on the face, neck, chest, or back,
and usually only on one side of the body. The pain of these blisters
may be excruciating. Other possible symptoms include fever, enlarged
lymph nodes, stomach upset, loss of appetite, and chills. Ear and lower
back pain may also occur. The blisters last two to three weeks then
disappear, but the pain may last much longer. Rare complications
include encephalitis, pneumonia, hearing problems, and death.
The greatest complication and fear concerns the onset of what's called
post-herpetic neuralgia. About ten percent of people will develop this
extremely debilitating burning or stabbing pain at the site of the
blisters as the nerves are damaged. Healing may take up to a year, and
the older the individual, the longer it takes.
Conventional treatment. Antivirals such as acyclovir,
valacyclovir, or famciclovir may be effective, but must be started
within two to three days from the first appearance of the blisters to be
effective. That's going to require a trip to urgent care or the
emergency room for most people, and that's in good times. These
antivirals are available by prescription only in the US. However, they
can be pretty easily obtained through overseas pharmacies.
While the pain of shingles can be extremely debilitating, it is not
life-threatening. Some off-grid physicians would recommend saving any
antivirals you have stashed for more serious cases of shingles or other
serious illnesses. It should be noted that if the eye or the area
around it is affected, that patient should be treated with an antiviral
to prevent permanent damage to the cornea and resulting blindness.
To reduce irritating the blisters and shedding the virus, place bandages
over the rash to prevent clothes from rubbing against them. Aspirin,
Tylenol, Advil, and Aleve may all be taken for pain relief. Creams with
lidocaine or capsaicin (but this latter may also exacerbate the pain)
may be used for topical relief. Some have used cold packs, oatmeal
baths, and calamine lotion. A physician may prescribe a low-dose
antidepressant like amitriptyline or if the patient is really in pain,
and really lucky, an opioid.
Alternative treatments. There are a few herbs that have been
reported effective in the treatment of shingles. St. John's wort is
quite effective, internally and externally, especially when combined
with a creosote bush (Larrea tridentata) tincture or infusion.
Lemon balm tea, three to five cups per day, may be taken while symptoms
persist. Lemon balm tincture may also be used in a dosage of 1/4
teaspoon three to six times per day. This is also good for preventing
recurrences. The tincture and the infusion may also be applied
topically for relief from the pain.
The following supplements have been shown to be helpful in healing and
preventing future outbreaks: vitamin B12, L-lysine, L-carnitine,
alpha-lipoic acid, and inositol. Consuming fruit as a regular part of
the diet is also important. Nuts, dark chocolate, and L-arginine
supplements should be avoided.
Links to related posts:
The Medicinal Uses of Lemon Balm
For further reading:
Cynthia Koelker, Armageddon Medicine, pp 214-216.
David Werner, Where There Is No Doctor, p 204.
Sam Coffman, The Herbal Medic, p 109
Charles Kane, Medicinal Plants of the Western Mountain States, p 284.
Stephen Buhner, Herbal Antivirals, pp 95, 116-119.
https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/index.html
https://draxe.com/health/shingles-symptoms/
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/news/20191113/new-shingles-vaccine_what-you-need-to-know
15 april 2020
Singles is the most painful thing I ever experienced.
ReplyDeletePeriod!
Not even 23 hours of child-birth can match the pain of shingles. I thought I was having a heart attack when it happened to me. I ended up in the ER waiting for my family to be called, and informed that I had not yet written my will.
None of these suggestions helped me. Tried Saint John's Wort without any reduction in pain or itching. I keep lemon-balm tenure in my kitchen, and it did not help. The only thing I found that would help cut the pain was to place Hot Peppers on the blister sites. It sounds odd, and while it did not stop the pain it did cut the pain for several minutes. I made a paste of oil and the hottest peppers my husband could find at the store. This gave me some aid, but never for very long.
I would like to add that the doctors will tell you that it should disappear within 6 weeks. This is NOT the truth. Some people have mild shingles and will never experience what I did, and it will go away after 6 weeks. I have had shingles for almost 10 years. I know another woman who has had it for 5 years, my aunt had her case for so long she can not remember when it started. After a decade, and as I sit here, I still have a fresh blister on my index finger right now. It will fade and come again. Sometimes it stills drives me crazy.
Thank you for writing on this topic. This is something that few people are aware of, and it needs to be addressed more often.
Wow, I am so sorry you are still in pain. I wish we knew of something that could help.
DeleteThank you Jennifer. The pain I have now is 90% less than ten years ago. It is a pain I have learned to live with, and treat with the hot pepper ointment I made. I am thankful for this article. As people get older they need to know that this may happen to them, they need to be prepared to face this illness. Not everyone gets this to the degree I experienced it, but knowledge is so important.
ReplyDeleteYou know, we'll probably only personally experience a couple of the medical issues I write about on the blog. Being prepared with the medicines, herbs, and supplies to manage them will make a huge difference, I believe.
Delete