As things continue to deteriorate in this country, meat is becoming increasingly expensive or scarce or both. We may find ourselves having to use lesser cuts, like mice.
Now, in the interest of full disclosure, please note that this is not a recipe I came up with on my own. Like with most everything here, I research far and wide and collect the best information for sharing here. As a good blogger and researcher, I try out the recipes. Unfortunately, I'm not so diligent about getting sick and injured and trying out medicinal herbs and conventional therapies at home. I pretty much prefer to stick with being healthy.
So here we have a recipe for yet another dinner entree that will use long-term food storage staples of macaroni, cracker crumbs that can be made from baking staples, as well as a couple of other shorter-term storage items, and finally some wildlife that you foraged from around the house. I've included an image of the recipe below to prove that I didn't make this up.
Field Mouse Pie
1 cup macaroni
5 fat field mice
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium can tomatoes
1 cup cracker crumbs
1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
Boil macaroni 10 minutes. While it is cooking, fry field mice long enough to get the fat out. Grease casserole dish with fat. Layer with half the mice, macaroni, onions, and tomatoes, and then repeat layers. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until mice are done.
Note: In rainy weather, as mice are hard to find, you may substitute with sausages.
Family reviews: As a Depression-era dish, it was quite acceptable. I liked it and would make it again. Lydia and Aaron thought it was ok. Field Mouse Pie just doesn't get them all excited. But Aaron wasn't feeling that great after getting home from work, so that may have something to do with his review.
Of course, due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to make it with sausage. I haven't even seen a mouse in nearly a year. I mean, we have two cats on constant patrol. Well, Jake is. I'm not so sure about Cougar. I don't know if he could catch a mouse if his life depended on it. He looks like he's gonna have a litter of kittens any day now.
Happy April Fools!
This is a good one... thanks for the smiles.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed it.
Delete