Thursday, April 2, 2026

DIY Almond Extract—Without the Almonds?!

Several years ago, before the run-up in the price of vanilla extract, I think we had about 20 pints on hand.  It stores forever, so I wasn’t worried about it going bad.  I’m probably down to 8 pints now, and while the cost of a pint has decreased a little, it’s still too high for me.

I started substituting almond extract where possible.  It is still relatively inexpensive, and it works just as well as vanilla extract in making reconstituted powdered milk much more palatable.  

Using the directions I posted here on the blog a year or so ago, I have made almond extract.  It turned out pretty well.  But I also knew it wasn’t truly sustainable.  I don’t have an almond tree here.  I have planted them in the past, but never gotten a harvest.  We always seem to move before that happens.  Winters here are a little harsh, and I’m not confident that an almond tree would do well in my yard.  And besides, it would be at least five years before it started producing.  I’m pretty sure life’s going to get interesting before then.  I figured I’d just be out of luck when my almond and vanilla extract run out.

But then I ran across a little article that got me all twitterpated.  It said almond extract could be made from cherry pits. 

I have a cherry tree.  Hmmm….

So naturally, I had to try this out.  Which meant I had to pay $6.00/pound for imported cherries in February.  I hope you appreciate the sacrifices I make here, because the cherries weren’t all that tasty.  Of course, I knew they wouldn’t be.  But anyway…. 

Long story short, I took a sniff of my DIY almond extract from cherry pits last night.  The first thing I smelled was almonds.  The second was the vodka.  But I was looking for an almond scent and might have been biased.  So I asked Becky to take a whiff and tell me what she smelled.  Same answer.  Almonds, then alcohol. 

It’s only been about seven weeks.  It needs to soak another month, but right now it’s smelling like a winner.  So here’s the process, because I know you’ll want to know how to do this: 

Noyaux (That’s the official name, obviously French in origin.  Pronunciations appear to vary.  I'm going with noy-you.)

A few tablespoons of cherry kernels

Vodka

Place the cherry kernels in a canning jar and cover with vodka, plus another ½ inch or so.  Screw the lid on the jar and put it in a dark cabinet to soak for about 12 weeks.  It’s ok to open it halfway through to take a sniff.  Smells heavenly.  

In about 12 weeks, when you are satisfied with the aroma, strain to remove the kernels and pour into a clean jar.  Use just like regular almond extract.

Besides waiting for the noyaux to be ready, the hardest part is removing the cherry kernels from the cherry pits.  The easiest way seems to be to line the pits up on a flour sack towel, about ½” apart from each other and then fold both ends over the top of the pits, so that you end up with one layer of towel under the pits and two on top.  This will help contain the mess and prevent the kernels from escaping to locations unknown.  Then go down the line and whack each pit with a hammer.  You’ll figure out the exact force you need to use as you go. 

Unfold the towel, retrieve the cherry kernels, place them in the jar, and cover with vodka.

Before writing this post, I figured it would be a good idea to research anything else written on the topic.  There’s actually not a lot out there.  But I did find something else super cool.  You can also make noyaux using apricot kernels (which seems to be the most traditional way) or peach or plum kernels.  Apparently, apricot pits are beastly to crack.  Someone said drying them in a dehydrator first for a couple of hours makes the job easier.  I’ll give it a try myself this summer if I get any apricots off my tree this year.  I also hope to try it out with peaches and nectarines.  I think it will make a nice Christmas gift for the neighbors.  

The other interesting thing is that everyone seems to warn about the dangers of consuming too much, because like apple seeds, cherry, apricot, and peach kernels all contain small amounts of cyanide.  Small.  Tiny.  People have been making and using noyaux for centuries.  I'm not worried, but if you are, read the articles in the references below.  Then you won't be worried, either.

Links to related posts:

Almond Extract

Lemon Extract

Peppermint Extract 

Making Powdered Milk Taste Like Whole Milk  

References:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/using-noyaux-in-preserves-4056060

https://www.thekitchn.com/yes-or-noyaux-using-stone-fruit-kernels-in-the-kitchen-192153

https://thehomesteadtraveler.com/noyaux-almond-extract-from-cherry-pits/


5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for all the effort you put into your blog. I look forward to reading it each day. I also appreciate that there are no annoying ads or pop-up. I wanted to let you know I have purchased both of your books and find them invaluable in my efforts to be more prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pop-ups and other annoying ads are so irritating.

      It was really hard doing this blog at first, but I have gotten to the point where I love doing it. There is so much cool stuff to learn. If you could leave some reviews on Amazon, that would help me out so much. I'd really appreciate it. Have a great day!

      Delete
    2. I have submitted a review on Amazon. I would encourage all the followers of this blog who have purchased the book(s) to support the author by posting a review. She provides so much valuable information for her followers. In addition, we do not have to deal with ads and pop-ups. That is a double win.

      Delete
    3. Thank you!!!! There's a new one on the BYOB book, but nothing new for FSMF. I know of two that Amazon removed, but those were over a year ago. Just checking.

      Delete
  2. The oral toxicity of cyanides is 1-2mg/kg of body weight; a single pit contains 0.85mg (red cherries) to about 1.2mg (black cherries) of cyanide.
    So my chubby butt would need to consume between 120 and 240mg of cyanide to reach a toxic dose. Or about 120 pits in a sitting in a worst case and or 282 in a best case; the CDC recommends not consuming more than 30-60 pits.
    You had maybe 20 or 30 pits total and a liter of vodka? Assuming your skinny and on the weaker end for tolerance, drinking the liter of extract in a single sitting would get you drunk with the added benefit of dizziness, confusion and brain fog from that low of a dose of cyanide.

    I would still make sure to limit the consumption for small kids and pregnant/breastfeeding moms. But the dosage your talking about for the powdered milk is very low.

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete