I'm not a foodie. I don't spend hours making meals, except for family birthdays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and even then, the rest of the family gets enlisted to help as much as possible. I love feeding my family good, healthy food, but I just can't go over the top preparing it. And I hate having a cluttered kitchen with gadgets or ingredients that are good for only one or two things. I prefer a much simpler life.
But that doesn't mean I don't keep an eye open for tasty food that my family will enjoy, that can be pretty easily prepared, and that uses regular food storage items. When I do come across something fitting that description, I have to give it a try.
And so today we have Refrigerator Oatmeal. I started with recipes posted by Monica at The Yummy Life, and have adapted them to use food storage. While Monica puts together single servings, I prefer to make a little larger batch to serve a few people.
The basic recipe to feed four is as follows:
1 cup uncooked rolled oats (old-fashioned, not quick or instant)
1 1/3 cups milk (1/3 cup dry milk + 1 1/8 cups water)
1 cup yogurt
Now pick one of the following flavor variations, or come up with your own!
Put all of the ingredients in a one-quart jar or other container and shake or stir well to combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. Serve cold in the morning.
Raspberry Vanilla
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1 cup fresh or freeze-dried raspberries
Apple Cinnamon
1 cup applesauce or freeze-dried apples, or 1/2 cup dehydrated apples
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Pineapple Coconut
1 cup canned or freeze-dried pineapple or 1/3 cup dehydrated pineapple
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
Blueberry Maple
1 cup fresh or freeze-dried blueberries, or 1/2 cup dehydrated blueberries
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
Pumpkin Pie
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3 tablespoons maple syrup
Cranberry Pecan
1/4 cup dried cranberries, or 1/2 cup cranberry sauce
1/4 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons honey
pinch ground cloves
Banana Peanut Butter
1 cup fresh or freeze dried chopped bananas
1/4 cup peanut butter or PB2 powder
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
Links to related posts:
Oats
Making yogurt
For further reading:
https://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
© 2019, PrepSchoolDaily.blogspot.com
09.24.21
This is downright awesome! You've got your good grain, fruit, and some protein from the milk/yogurt, and you're all ready to go with a minimum of fuss. Just awesome!
ReplyDelete