I’ve never
really cared for oatmeal. I don’t like
regular oats cooked on the stove forever, and I don’t like the ridiculously
overpriced flavored single-serve packets.
(They have a lot of mystery foods in the ingredient lists.) And my husband is always telling me how
incredibly healthy oatmeal is, yada, yada, yada, when he rarely eats it
himself. Oats make a fabulous addition
to sandwich bread, and we make oatmeal cookies a couples of times a year. So we aren’t really great about rotating
through the oats.
I think
that’s about to change.
Last week a
recipe for an oatmeal smoothie popped up on my internet home page. (I think that’s what it’s called, the
internet home page, I mean.) Oatmeal smoothie already sounds sketchy,
but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to read the article. And then I decided to try the recipe, with
some modifications. I wanted it to be as
food-storage friendly as possible. And
besides, there’s no way I’m shelling out big bucks for almond milk. Also, as it’s still quite chilly here in the
morning, I decided to skip freezing the banana and using ice cubes.
In all of
the following recipes, you can use either old-fashioned rolled oats or quick
oats.
Banana-Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie
1/4 cup oats
1 banana
1/2 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch salt
Ice,
optional
Blend ingredients
until smooth and creamy.
My
review: Wow, this was seriously
good. And filling. I drank this down and headed out to work in
the garden. Not only did I not get
hungry, I didn’t even think about food at all.
That’s a winning recipe right there.
Now add that it’s food storage (well, if you use dehydrated bananas—and
no, you don’t need to re-hydrate first), and it gets 5 stars.
So, then I got to wondering, how good would other oatmeal smoothie recipes taste? And I went searching. Most of the recipes go a little crazy, trying to be super healthy—chia seeds, flax seeds, fat-free everything, vegan, you name it. Oh, and some of them say you’ve got to cook the oatmeal first, or let it soak overnight. Nope. Not necessary. Also, like the recipe above, most recipes call for ½ teaspoon vanilla extract per serving. I’m thinking vanilla extract is going to be pretty valuable, and the smoothie will be just fine without it. But that’s just me. Add it if you wish.
Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt
1 banana
¼ cup oats
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (would you believe it’s only 10 calories!?!)
Blend everything together.
My review: Where have you been all my life? I think I’m making a huge batch of this one
and running it through the freeze dryer.
Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt
1 banana
¼ cup blueberries
¼ cup oats
Blend everything together.
My review: This one didn’t do much for me. I could taste the oats. More banana? More blueberries? Some sugar? Not sure. I mean, it wasn’t bad, but I felt it could be so much more. It still warrants some experimentation.
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt
1 banana
½ cup strawberries
1⁄4 cup oats
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
My review: I liked this one better than the blueberry, since I couldn’t taste the oats.
Links to related posts:
All About Oats https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2021/06/basic-food-storage-oats.html
All About Cocoa https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2020/05/all-about-cocoa-powder.html
Homemade Yogurt https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2021/07/basic-food-storage-making-thick-creamy.html
So you don't use any sort of liquid to blend these with?
ReplyDeleteby the recipes, it seems like it's just "jacked up" yogurt if no liquids are used
DeleteNo, no additional liquids are added, unless you count adding ice. But adding ice is just too cold for winter, for me at least. And unfortunately, it appears winter is making a comeback here--we've got up to 5 inches of snow in the forecast and lows in the 20s. Anyway, oatmeal is something I'd never ever thought of adding to smoothies. I like oatmeal much better this way and thought others might be interested in the idea. And because it's blended til smooth, I wouldn't consider it yogurt with mix-ins. But maybe that's just me. I think the idea has merit and people ought to at least give it a try. Might be pleasantly surprised.
Delete