Hopefully, you're already planting your own garden each year and
improving with the experience every season. Being able to raise your
own food is not a skill to acquire in the socialist paradise the
progressives are striving to create. There's a lot more to it than
throwing some seeds in the ground and adding water.
If you haven't yet gotten serious about growing your own vegetables,
you've probably been enticed into thinking about just buying a survival
garden seed collection and then forgetting about it. Ignorance is
bliss, yada, yada, yada.
But let's get real here. You don't need to go to such extremes. You
can gather your own seed collection and save yourself a chunk of change
and a bit of grief as well. However, suppose that money isn't an object
in this case, and that you'd really like the convenience of getting one
of those package deals. Should you?
The answer is a resounding NO!
Look, I've got nothing against the various companies that put these
together and sell them. They see a need; they fill it. It's the
American way; capitalism and all that. (In the interest of full
disclosure, I'll admit that I have one of these collections, but I won
it. I didn't buy it. And it didn't make sense to throw it away. It
may come in handy someday.)
However, let's take a closer look at these companies and their seed
packages. There's a huge range in the number and variety of seeds
offered. Most claim to have packaged their seeds so that they remain
viable for at least a few years, assuming they are stored properly. But
the packages themselves are pretty much one-size-fits-all. It the same
collection whether it's being shipped to California or Maine or Georgia
or Montana. Anybody who has ever gardened can tell you that it's a
totally different game raising your veggies in the clay soil of humid
Missouri than it is in cute boxed beds in the high desert in Nevada.
You need to have seeds that do well in your climate. Throwing any old
seeds in the ground and praying for the best ain't gonna cut it.
If you're not yet convinced, then consider this: Some of the seed
packages contain very small amounts of each seed. Though they claim to
be able to support a group of six to eight people, I'm hard-pressed to
think there is enough food for me alone. Sixty-three corn seeds.
Hmmmm.... Corn seed has an average germination rate of 70%. So that's
about 45 seeds that should germinate, and most produce exactly one ear
of corn. If birds don't thin the seedlings for you. (Not something I
would plan on either.) No, that is not enough corn.
One hundred-plus cantaloupe seeds? Whatcha gonna do with all that? It
doesn't can or dehydrate well, and most varieties don't store well.
Without electricity, it won't be frozen either. Something's wrong with
this picture.
Do you really like that particular fruit or vegetable all that much?
While I really like butternut squash, all my children absolutely hate
it. And I don't believe that just because there are no longer any
grocery stores that they are going to suddenly have a change of taste
buds. I think there is no chance I will ever like radishes. But I
think I'd still buy some--they grow very quickly in early spring, and
there might be a time when it's critical to survival. We don't like
regular peas, but we really enjoy snow peas. Grow what your family enjoys, not what some guy in an office building thinks everyone likes and eats.
Do you know how long these seeds are truly viable? Onions might make
it three years. Tomatoes have the possibility of going to twenty. And
most others are somewhere in between, but most definitely on the lower
end of the scale. As seeds age, they become less vigorous (don't we
all?). They may germinate, put on some leaves, maybe even produce some
fruit, but not as quickly or prolifically as fresh seed. And who are
you going to blame for that? Maybe you didn't fertilize well. Maybe
growing conditions were less than ideal. Or maybe, just maybe, that
seed isn't as viable as the guy in the office building claimed when you
bought it five years ago.
So what's a prepper to do? You really are better off selecting your own
seed for vegetables you like to eat and that grow well in your
location. And there are a few other factors you should consider when
selecting seeds. You've got some narrowing down to do, and it can be a
bit overwhelming. Let's make it as easy as possible.
First off, visit your local nurseries and take note of the specific
varieties they carry. These are the varieties that are going to perform
best in your local conditions. Next, keep in mind that you want to do
what is best for your family to survive. This means growing both
heirlooms or open-pollinated AND hybrid seeds. For some explanation of
why you should do this, click here.
As you peruse seed catalogs (and once you get on one company's mailing
list, you'll soon be inundated with them), pay attention to descriptions
of the individual varieties. How well do they can? How well do they
store? Do they dehydrate well? Are they better for fresh eating only?
How quickly do they start producing? Does everything ripen at once (as
is the case with most determinate tomatoes), or does it have an
extended growing season (indeterminate tomatoes)? Of course, all this
information is not going to be included in every seed packet
description, but it can provide some clues as to whether one or the
other variety is going to better meet your needs.
Listed below you'll find several addresses for companies that offer
these survival seed packages. You can see what they offer in terms of
packaging and variety. Hopefully, you've been convinced to assemble
your own collection. Further on down is a list of a couple of seed
companies I've been very happy with. If I'm planning and planting for
survival, I avoid the ten-cent packages and pretty much anything from a
dollar store or Walmart.
The best way to store your seeds to maintain viability is in the
refrigerator. Put them in a #10 can or plastic container and pour in
some flower drying silica gel. (Follow the instructions on the package
for preparing it for use--if I recall correctly it takes 10-20 minutes
in the oven.) The silica gel keeps the seeds dry, without totally
restricting the oxygen. After all, seeds are still living--they need
oxygen. Buy fresh vegetable seeds at least every other year. And for best results in the future, start growing a garden now. Even if it's just a few plants, the experience is invaluable.
Heirloom vs hybrid seeds
Survival seed packages
https://www.preparedplanet.com/original-survival-seed-vault-collection/
https://www.victoryseeds.com/gardencan_packlist.html
https://www.healthrangerstore.com/products/bug-out-seed-vault
https://mypatriotsupply.com/products/organic-survival-seed-vault
https://www.hometownseeds.com/products/preparedness-seed-bank
Seed companies
http://www.territorialseed.com/
https://www.johnnyseeds.com/
https://www.rareseeds.com/
6 june2019
Good Morning, Jennifer a good post. Most important is your last lines.
ReplyDelete"And for best results in the future, start growing a garden now. Even if it's just a few plants, the experience is invaluable."
NOTHING beats dirt time. Books and seeds are good but it's YOUR Area, Your Soil and now you need to ADD Your Experience growing things.
I tell everybody who will listen at least take a couple of sprouting potatoes and grow potatoes. First, they are excellent survival food with decent nutrition and Vit C (something most foods lack, Scurvy is a terrible Preventable disease).
Second as far as I know they DON'T SELL Potatoe Seeds, the Potato when sprouted IS the Potatoe Seed. SO....
I have hidden Potatoes in HOA Flower gardens and produced a decent crop with nobody the wiser.
I thought the potatoes fit in very nicely with the flowers, shrubs, and other vegetables in our backyard garden area last year.
DeleteIt appears that seed potatoes will be in short supply this year, as well as much higher priced.
actually there are potato seeds - they are referred to as "TSP" "True Seed Potatoes" to differ the terminology from seed potatoes - the variety is limited - the source of supply and packages are even more rare >>> but it's not the worse thing to have seeds available for veggies like this for last ditch fallback options ....
Deletehttps://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/potato-seeds-zbcz1307/
Potatoes are so easy to grow, also. Even if something comes up and you can't tend them you could still end up with a few to harvest.
ReplyDeleteHere in Louisiana I gave up on sweet corn. Couldn't beat the coons to it and couldn't invite them to dinner.
I always thought I might use the seeds we didn't want, for barter. Figured it would be worth a try.
Thank you, Jennifer.