You know, I've admitted it previously on this blog, and I freely admit
it to all I know in real life: I am really not a morning person. I
mean, really-really not a morning person. My husband had a sinking
suspicion of that dark side of me when we were dating, and it became a
little more obvious after we were married. But the true horror of such a
tremendous character flaw didn't really smack him upside the head until
our oldest child started kindergarten, and I didn't make him a hot breakfast before sending him to school. I
think my dear husband is still bothered by that. And to his credit, he
says nothing at all, but if he's home, he gets up and makes a hot
breakfast most days.
So naturally, I think one of mankind's greatest achievements has been
creating cold cereal. Of course, not the sugar-laden GMO stuff, but
just regular cold cereal. Some so-called nutritionists go off on
ridiculous rants about the violence done to grains in processing
(sorry, but these grains come from plants, plants that get eaten for
food--our world has enough to deal with without idiots getting all
snowflake-y about how a grain is processed), but everything in this blog
is done with a minimum of equipment, so there's no violence here.
Today's focus is something known in old-timey food storage circles as
Crunchy Wheat Cereal. Basically, it's Grape-Nuts. And because I have
actually made this, and not just copied from someone somewhere else, I
also have some tips in here for making it work, as well as actual baking
times.
Homemade Grape Nuts
6 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk (2/3 cup dry milk, 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes)
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly and then stir in the buttermilk. Divide
the dough in half and roll each half to fit on an ungreased cookie
sheet. (Do not worry. This will not stick to the pan.) This is most
easily done by placing some waxed paper on top of the dough and using a
rolling pin to roll the dough out to the edges of the pan. Bake at 350
degrees until golden brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Remove
the cereal from the oven, turn it over with a spatula, and break the
cereal into small pieces. Lower the oven temperature to 200 degrees,
and return the cereal to the oven to dry out thoroughly, about one
hour. Grind chunks in a food processor or blender if smaller chunks are
desired. Cereal may be finely ground to substitute for graham cracker
crumbs in making pies and other desserts.
Family reviews: All agree that this tastes way better than
the store-bought version. It is not quite so hard and crunchy (I'm not afraid it will break my teeth) and softens
up a bit in milk.
Variations:
For flavored breakfast cereal, add 2 teaspoons cinnamon or 1 teaspoon nutmeg.
For poultry stuffing, omit sugar and add in 2 teaspoons bouillon, and 1 teaspoon each sage, poultry seasoning, and celery salt.
For a salad topping, add 1 teaspoon each garlic salt and onion powder.
Links to related posts:
Wheat
Dry Milk
DIY Chicken Bouillon 08.23.19
Thank you for this recipe! I heat up the store brand with milk in the microwave for a hot breakfast.
ReplyDeleteYes! Thank you for the recipe but especially the family reviews. Many places on the internet you can get recipes but do they work? Do they taste ok? Again, thank you!
ReplyDeleteAlso, Genevieve, thank you for the idea of hot grape nuts!