When I began writing this blog back in 2018, my plan for Thursdays was to present quick tips. I had the idea that I might need a little break mid-week, when I didn’t have to write a long(er) article that would also require more research. I got away from that pretty quickly.
But as I was lying in bed last night/this morning due to insomnia (again) and perhaps all the craziness in our world (still), I got to thinking about canning lids and jars. COVID sparked runs and shortages on all kinds of items from toilet paper and rubbing alcohol to kitchen appliances, garden seeds, and canning supplies. While I’ve read reports of some shortages in garden seeds, I haven’t seen the panic and selling out that occurred last year. Most things are back on the shelves, without limits. Except canning jars and lids.
Lehmans.com was my go-to source for years. Good prices. They sold out in spring last year, and they’ve never really recovered since. Previous posts on their website indicated they wouldn’t have any until March 2021. Now they just say they are sold out. My local grocery store had a good supply of canning jars—with lids—on just one of my weekly trips since September.
So, knowing that some people are still struggling to find lids,
I thought I’d post about that today. A
Facebook post from my local food storage group (the only reason I am still on
F-book) reminded me that feed and ranch stores, the larger ones anyway, often
have a great selection of food preservation items. Including canning jars and lids. My local C-A-L Ranch got quite the shipment
earlier this week. (No, they don't show any available online.) If you’re still
looking for lids, it might be worth a phone call or quick trip. Hopefully, they'll be less than the nearly $1 each that Amazon is charging. That's more than what we paid in 2019 for a new jar, band, and lid. Ridiculous.
And while you’re there, you might check out the medical supplies as well.
Links to related posts:
I just checked my local Walmart for jars and lids. The shelves were still empty. I think I will be doing more freezing and dehydrating this gardening season. 😕
ReplyDelete