Friday, March 26, 2021

Doomsday Donuts

The "Quick Mix" that I posted yesterday from Make-A-Mix Cookery has a least a couple of dozen recipes that it is used for.  One is donuts, and for the first time in my life, I decided to give them a try, using that recipe.  

Super Duper Donuts

Oil for frying

2 cups Quick Mix

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

2 tablespoons powdered eggs

1 tablespoon dry milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup water, minus 2 teaspoons

 

Vanilla Glaze

1 1/4 cups powdered sugar

2 tablespoons milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  Then add in the water and vanilla extract and stir well.  Knead the dough about 10 minutes.  Roll dough 1/2" thick and cut with a doughnut cutter, or improvise with what you have on hand.  (I used a regular canning ring for the outside and half a tea ball for the center.  Or perhaps make an entire batch of doughnut holes.)  Fry in hot oil (375°F) for 60 seconds on each side.  Drain on paper towels.  

Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle on warm doughnuts.  Makes about 12 doughnuts. 

Family reviews.  It was ok.  The kids liked them well enough, and so did my husband.  He also said adding some chopped apples to the dough would be fabulous.  (I’ll try to keep that in mind.)  They were all gone by the next morning.  But these were cake doughnuts, which I don't really care for.  I mean, if I'm going to have all those calories, I want it to be something worthwhile.  

The Make-A-Mix book had another recipe for raised donuts, which I tried.  Those were a hard pass.

And then Becky asked why I wasn't using a recipe for a copycat of Krispy Kremes.  

Well, duh, of course I should have been doing that.  

So I immediately went in search.  After all, we're in the midst of something called Second Winter right now.  It's late March and we're getting more snow on top of the snow we got two days ago and before we get more snow in two days.  Gardening is just not happening right now.  

The first recipe claimed to be the true Krispy Kreme copycat.  It looked a bit fussy and called for unusual ingredients.  I passed on a second one as well that also appeared a bit time-consuming.  I concede that they may produce something more like Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts.  But I also need to keep the recipe reasonable.

This is the one I settled on:

Raised Donuts

2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast

3/4 cup warm water

1/2 cup sugar, divided

2 tablespoons dry milk 

1/2 teaspoon salt 

1/4 cup melted shortening

1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3-4 cups vegetable shortening for frying

 

Vanilla Glaze

2 tablespoons melted butter

1 1/3 cups powdered sugar

pinch of salt

1 teaspoon dry milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons water

In a large bowl, combine yeast, water, and ½ teaspoon sugar and let proof for 5-10 minutes. Then stir in remaining sugar, dry milk, salt, shortening, eggs, and vanilla.  Stir in flour and turn dough onto counter to knead.  Knead until dough is smooth and slightly tacky.  Place dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with plastic or a damp towel.  Let rise until doubled in volume, about an hour.

Punch dough down and roll out to ½” thickness on a floured surface.  Cut into circles using a donut cutter or improvise with what you have.  Place 2” apart on a greased cookie sheet.  Cover and let rise again until doubled, about 30-40 minutes.  

Combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl.

Heat shortening to 360 degrees in a deep fryer, electric skillet, or large Dutch oven.  Fry donuts a few at a time, without crowding, until golden brown on both sides, about 60 seconds on each side, flipping once.

Cool on a cooling rack for 1-2 minutes before dipping in glaze. 

Note:  By now, you all know I’m not a fan of vegetable shortening.  I use it for buttercream frosting and that’s it.  But all the Krispy Kreme copycat recipes I looked at said vegetable shortening was essential.  So that’s what I used.  If that’s what it takes to make a respectable donut, I can concede and add a couple containers of vegetable shortening to my storage. 

Family reviews:  Full disclosure first.  QOTPE and I believe that Krispy Kremes are the best donuts ever.  Becky and my husband do not agree and think Krispy Kremes are too soft, almost soggy.

QOTPE and I like real Krispy Kremes better than these donuts.  But these are pretty good and we ate more than we should have.  Becky and Aaron like these better than Krispy Kremes and as well as donuts from their favorite donut shop.  I found that a bit surprising.  Lydia’s pretty happy with anything, and Jared wasn’t home so he didn’t get an opportunity to voice an opinion.  This is one treat they want me to make again really soon. 

Links to related posts:

Quick Mix Biscuit Mix

8.25.23

1 comment:

  1. Hubby used to love Krispy Kreme. I never did. Greasy is my opinion. And when I bit into one on a particular day and grease ran down my chin (!) That was it. Never another one.(And we still had four years to go in NC before hubby retired!)

    I like Dunkin Donuts because everything does not have to be frosted. But, they don't have a lot of outlets.
    And now that we are in Louisiana, Shipley has the best. Way better than Krispy Kreme for sure.
    Their donuts may get a little dry; but they are never heavy and soggy.

    Glad the recipe worked for you!

    ReplyDelete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat