Disclaimer. I am not a licensed health
practitioner. This is just another post on an item you might wish to
have available if needed so that a physician can treat you and your
family as best as possible. No medication, including those available
over the counter, should be taken without consulting a physician.
Information shared here is for educational and entertainment purposes
only. It is not medical advice nor a substitute for licensed medical
care. A qualified, licensed physician or other medical provider should
be consulted before beginning any herbal or conventional treatment.
This
was by far the most frustrating item to research and write about to
date. Six or eight years ago I read a very detailed article on the
medicinal uses of cayenne. I even saved it to the hard drive of a
laptop long since deceased. Of course, I can't find it online now.
Regardless, I thought the information should be rather simple to track
down.
Not so.
While cayenne has been
used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes, there isn't a lot of
detail to be had. Historical use of cayenne in both the Eastern and
Western Hemispheres shows it was used for treating indigestion,
confusion, tremors, hemorrhoids, menorrhagia, tonsillitis, scarlet
fever, sore throat, flatulence, gout, fever, nausea, heart attacks, and
the list goes on. But how exactly was it administered? How effective
was it at treating diphtheria? What dosages were prescribed when it was
used in conjunction with penny royal for expelling the retained dead
tissue of a miscarriage?
It is fortunate that some
scientific research is being and has been performed, but even that isn't
too helpful if it is only conducted in a laboratory, which is the case
with many of the articles I posted links for below. In the case of
internet jockeys and self-professed gurus, the information may even be
dangerous. Anecdotal evidence of cayenne pepper powder stopping
bleeding does not mean using cayenne to stop a serious bleed is a good
idea. Would the bleeding have stopped anyway with a little direct
pressure? Is pouring cayenne into a wound creating a greater potential
for infection? After all, doesn't the cayenne need to be washed out
before closing that wound?
On the other end of the
spectrum, striving to care for our loved ones in a post-apocalyptic
world (PAW) may have us willing to throw anything and everything at a
problem. As the physicians leading the off-grid medicine courses I
attended taught us, CPR is for dead people only. When society has
completely collapsed and there is no higher medical care, you don't
perform CPR, except in cases of drowning, lightning
strike/electrocution, and choking. Those people were healthy before the
accident. Everyone else has a medical condition that brought on the
heart attack and that will not be able to be diagnosed and/or treated
without modern medicine. I can accept that. It's easy to say now. But
what if the heart attack patient is my husband, who as a type-1
diabetic is in the do not resuscitate (DNR) group? Can I just let him
go? Probably not.
Would I be willing to try giving him
some cayenne tea if he were able to swallow or cayenne tincture under
his tongue if he were not (supposedly used on someone who had just
expired, with miraculous results)? Yeah, I'm kinda attached to him, so
I'd do it.
Unfortunately, these kinds of things have
only anecdotal stories attached to them. There's no scientific research
to back them up. Treating a heart attack patient with cayenne pepper
when more civilized care is available would be considered malpractice,
at least in this country. No one's going to do it. Does drinking a
strong tea of cayenne pepper help stop internal bleeding? Heck if I
know. But Dr. Patrick Jones, a veterinarian and herbalist, has used it
on dogs hit by cars, and he says it has worked. That's another one that
isn't likely to be researched for a long time. Would I be willing to
try it on someone who was suspected to have internal bleeding? Well, of
course that's going to depend on a few factors, but I'd probably be
open to the idea.
With that said, here are some suggestions for using cayenne.
Infusion:
1/2-1 teaspoon of cayenne in one cup of boiling water. Drink warm,
about one tablespoon at a time (16 sips per cup), for indigestion,
fever, gout, arthritis, rheumatism, and sore throat and cold. For
internal bleeding, use one teaspoon and drink it as quickly as
possible.
Powder: Pour it on and apply pressure.
Honestly, the "apply pressure" part is the most important. If the
bleeding is that serious, I'm going to go with a commercial clotting
agent like Celox or QuikClot, if it's my family. Everyone else can have
cayenne. Yes, cayenne in a wound is going to burn.
Capsules:
One capsule, one to three times daily, for indigestion. (I've been
doing this for six years, and I have no problems with heartburn, unless I
run out. That happened once. Now I keep a better supply.) Also, and
there is more research on this (web addresses posted below), cayenne
pepper does not cause gastric ulcers. On the contrary, it helps heal
them.
Cream: Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder or
a couple of drops of cayenne tincture to some body lotion and rub over
the affected area for arthritis and rheumatism.
Cayenne
oil: In a glass jar, place 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper, 2
tablespoons of crushed mustard seeds, and 2 teaspoons of grated ginger
root in one cup of carrier oil such as olive or almond. Allow to
infuse for one week, then strain. Use as a massage oil for treating
muscle, joint, and arthritis pain.
Cayenne tincture:
Fill a one-quart jar with fresh cayenne peppers (or halfway with cayenne
powder) and top off within 1/2 inch of the rim with grain alcohol (95%
percent) if possible, or the highest proof you can get. (You may
substitute apple cider vinegar or glycerin for the vodka, but the
tincture won't be as strong and will only have a shelf life of six
months.) Place lid on top and store in cool, dark place for six to
eight weeks. Strain to remove peppers and store tincture in dark glass
bottle. Shelf life--three to five years.
For further reading:
http://www.holistic-research.org/uploads/1/1/3/8/11385972/cayenne_pepper.pdf (Accessed on 28 December 2018)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5785894/ (Accessed on 28 December 2018. Chronic disease, inflammation, and spices)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19919287 (Accessed on 27 December 2018. Cayenne inhibits bacteria)
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/antimicrobial-properties-of-chili-peppers-2332-0877.1000145.pdf
(Accessed on 27 December 2018. Effect of various hot peppers on
various strains of bacteria and viruses)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16621751 (Capsaicin and gastric ulcers. Accessed on 27 December 2018)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21104944 (Accessed on 27 December 2018). Capsaicin cream in treatment of chronic pain)
- Home
- Alternative Medicine
- Conventional Medicine
- Expanded Food Storage
- Basic Food Storage
- Book Reviews
- Recipe Catalog
- Tips
- History
- Disease
- About Me
- CONTACT US
- BUY BOOKS HERE
- Armageddon Pharmacy Herb Identification Photographs A - D
- Armageddon Pharmacy Herb Identification Photographs E - L
- Armageddon Pharmacy Herb Identification Photographs M - R
- Armageddon Pharmacy Herb Identification Photographs S - Z
- Armageddon Pharmacy Therapeutic Usage Index
- Armageddon Pharmacy + Therapeutic Usage Index
Tuesday, August 26, 2025
The Medicinal Uses of Cayenne
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
(I'm posting on Michael's behalf. He can't make it post on his end, and it's not working for me here, either. I have to a...
-
Asclepias speciosa Asclepiadaceae Full disclosure: I don’t know if I have regretted planting any seeds more than this one. They ...
-
Store what you eat; eat what you store. We’ve all seen that counsel frequently enough. And it’s important. There’s no point in storing...
-
Telfa pads are non-adhering gauze bandages especially useful for wounds that are lightly oozing. They come in two sizes--2x3 and 3x4. ...
-
I’ve seen reports that US Customs and Border rules and regulations are changing and I’ve received emails from All Day Chemist to that effect...
Love your website. See "10 Essential Herbs" by Lalitha Thomas. Chapter 2 is about Cayenne.
ReplyDelete