Wednesday, August 20, 2025

Cheating (Premature) Death

"Preparation does not guarantee success, but lack of preparation guarantees failure”--Japanese proverb.


All the preps in the world won't guarantee that our family members and we will survive coming festivities. Death is a part of life. When you pick up one end of the stick (birth), you pick up the other (death). For some, it comes sooner rather than later, no matter what we do. For many, it will come sooner rather than later because of so much they could have done, but failed to do.

It is essential to understand this deep down and be at peace with it. It absolutely boggles my mind the number of people who cannot accept death, even for the extremely ill and aged. I visited with our veterinarian about this very issue and the vast numbers of people he sees in his practice who are hysterical and inconsolable and angry about the deaths of their pets. They're mad at him for not saving them, even when their pets are old and in pain. They're angry at God and the world.

In considerable measure, how our loved ones and we fare post-collapse will reflect on our relationship with God and our ability to accept death. And how we choose to prepare to prevent premature and unnecessary deaths. Because there really is a lot we can do, even if we have no training whatsoever in medicine. It all boils down to preparation.

  • Food. Store and be able to grow food. More people die during war from starvation than from bullets.
  • Water. Store water. Know how to and have the means to purify water. Know how to keep water sources free from contamination.
  • Sanitation. Know how to dispose of sewage, where to dig the latrine, how to do laundry, and how to do the dishes and keep food preparation areas safe. And have all the supplies to do these things.
  • Known medical conditions. Have all the supplies and knowledge to manage our known medical conditions--diabetes, hypothyroidism, asthma, allergies.
  • Historical killers. The number one killer for women until the 1900s was childbirth. The number two killer was burns (skirt gets too close to the fire, cotton is pretty flammable, suddenly there are third-degree burns on the legs). Communicable diseases, especially childhood ones. Make sure you have the medical supplies, vaccines, whatever, to deal with these.
  • Infections. Be able to treat sepsis (blood poisoning), pneumonia, influenza. Got antibiotics?
  • Vector-borne illnesses. While mosquito-borne diseases tend to be confined to more tropical areas, mosquitoes have been known to migrate northward when conditions are favorable. Ticks are pretty much everywhere. Lyme disease is being found in new areas all the time. Even here in the high desert where we have never, ever seen ticks, we found a few last year. Fleas and rats don't care how cold it gets--they'll find you. Do you have insect repellents, mosquito netting, and insecticides?
  • Common injuries. Do you have the supplies to manage lacerations, burns, and broken bones?
  • Dental hygiene. Ten percent of ER visits are for dental care. Do you practice good dental hygiene? Have you got adequate supplies to last the duration of the crisis?
  • Risky behavior. Don't take foolish risks. Avoid danger. While the nanny state has been pretty good at making sure stupid doesn't hurt, that time is coming to an end. Stupid will be painful once again.

Making sure you've got these basics covered will go a long way towards cheating a premature death when our society collapses. There's not much point in learning what to do in a case of appendicitis if you haven't even got enough food or means to purify water. The same goes for pneumothorax and pneumonia. Food and water first.

Links to related posts:
Hypothyroidism
Acquiring Antibiotics
Diabetes
Tick-Borne Bacterial Diseases
Water Purification
Water Purification Methods in One Easy Chart 

6 comments:

  1. Every now and then as I surf survival sites on the internet, I come across a thought that strikes me as completely original. So it was today when I read your comment, "...[We] choose to prepare to prevent premature and unnecessary deaths. Because there really is a lot we can do, even if we have no training whatsoever in medicine. It all boils down to preparation." So what I have been doing in my preparedness endeavors is preparing to avoid premature deaths for myself and my family? Nice!

    Keep up the good work. It took me a while to discover your site. I now read it every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If I had affiliate links, I would see some kind of tangible reward for all the research and writing. But I really don't want to do links and ads if I don't have to. (However, my husband needs to find a job really soon!--His company was bought out by Canadians at the first of the year. He got a very generous severance, but it's not going to last forever.) Anyway, knowing that people appreciate this and are learning from it means so much to me. Thank you again.

      Delete
  2. Awesome information, Jennifer! I read your site every day and feel better prepared for doing so. Please continue to help us prepare for the unknown. I am reminded of a quote from a book entitled "Earth Abides" by the author George R. Stewart. Remember this, "The trouble you're expecting never happens; it's always something that sneaks up the other way." We can prepare in typical ways, but it may be an infected hangnail that takes us down unless we have the medical knowledge and supplies to keep us going. Thank you, CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's my weakness. I can't stand hangnails. I loathe the idea of trimming them down, because they still continue to catch on things. So I yank them out. (And sometimes they get a little infected. I guess that's my vice.)I tell myself I won't do it when things fall apart. I hope I will be strong.

      Delete
  3. I so appreciate the information you bring to us. And it is nice to know that we are not completely bonkers as some would think!
    Personally, I do not fear death. I consider each day a gift and do all I can to continue on, even when the going gets rough. But like many of strong faith, I believe that death is merely 'going home.' And that is nothing to be feared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to become a better person before I die. And I'll still be saying the same thing in another twenty years. Truth be told, I really want to outlive my children so that they can't speak at my funeral. When my children tell stories about me, I want to be there to defend myself. So if I can outlive them by a day or two, that would be perfect. ;) Though death is truly "going home," I don't want my children to bury any of their children. Been there, done that, and even when you know deep inside that all is well and your babies are home with God, it's still a little rough on the heart. Some deaths among the young will be unavoidable, as was my baby's, but others can be totally prevented with a little preparation. And then we can live without regrets.

      Delete

The Medicinal Uses of Hyssop