When I was in high school, we had "open campus" which meant we could leave for lunch. Assuming we had transportation. I was one of the two upperclassmen in a class of 60 who did not. But packing a lunch and eating in the cafeteria were so uncool. Fortunately, we had one option.
A very short distance from the high school was an independent building about the size of a small cabin that an older woman rented out and turned into a catering business. And for high school student lunches she made the most fabulous pies. The ham and cheese and broccoli and cheese were the best. I've tried duplicating them several times, but sadly, didn't even come close.
These ones don't come close, either, but that's mainly because of the filling. Anyway, I thought empanadas with black beans and rice would be a good thing to try out. I was pretty sure my family and I would prefer meat and cheese in our pie filling, but beans and rice are so food storage-y. And they'd be especially suited to those people who thought storing just beans and rice would somehow be a good idea. We know that isn't going to work out well.
When life gets more interesting than it now is, the opportunity to rest our bodies at dinner while we recharge is going to become really important. And being able to fill hungry bellies with good food will be critical. As I've stated before, one of the challenges people will face is food fatigue. Being able to present the same foods in different combinations and visual presentations will help alleviate food fatigue to some degree.
Empanadas are bread dough wrapped around any number of fillings. Black beans and rice are about as food storage-y as you can get, but meat, cheese, and vegetables can also be used, and even fruits for a sweet treat. The dough is easy to work with and no special equipment is required.
Empanada Dough
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lard
2 large eggs, divided
1 cup ice water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
In a medium bowl, combine salt and flour. Cut in lard with a pastry
cutter. In a small bowl, combine one egg, water, and vinegar, and then
add to the flour mixture. Stir the dough into a ball. Turn the dough
onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 minutes, adding more
flour if dough is too sticky. Let rest 30 minutes.
Black Bean and Rice Empanada Filling
1 can (15 ounces) black beans
3/8 cup cooked rice
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced, or 1 tablespoon dehydrated chopped jalapenos, rehydrated
In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir well to distribute spices.
Assembling the empanadas:
In a small bowl, whisk the other egg. Roll dough out to 1/8-1/4" thickness and cut out circles. (Alternatively, divide dough into 10-12 equal balls and pat them out into circles about 5-6 inches in diameter. Place filling in center and brush edges with beaten egg. Fold over to make a semicircle and crimp edges shut with a fork (or press with fingers) Brush tops with the beaten egg. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Family reviews: The very first thing out of Becky's mouth as we sat down was, "Lydia said these were food storage," as if resigned to her cruel fate. Sometimes you just want to smack some people. But they looked good, and we also had refried beans, salsa, and guacamole on the table.
I had very accidentally omitted the peppers--I got them rehydrated and ready to add to the filling, but I was multitasking (cooking bacon in the oven for another meal) and watching a Korean drama. Not a good combination, especially when the drama is really good. We tried sprinkling the peppers into the filling as we took each bite, but that didn't work very well.
So the filling was a bit on the blah side, but I'm not entirely convinced that the peppers would have made it that much better. There's no fat in the filling, and I think a little fat in the form of cheese or sour cream or cream cheese would improve it dramatically. Of course, those who store only beans and rice won't have many options anyway.
However! Dipping the empanada in guacamole improved it dramatically. I'm sure sour cream would have the same effect, but I couldn't be bothered to try it last night. That would have meant leaving the table and the delicious guacamole, and there might not have been any guac left by the time I returned. QOTPE makes fabulous guacamole, even if she doesn't put any onions in it.
We all scarfed the empanadas down, my husband wanted two for his lunch the next day, and I'm pretty sure it will be a race to the refrigerator at lunchtime for the last two. We'll definitely be making these again, probably throwing a little cheese in with this filling. However, this dough could easily be used with all kinds of different fillings, and we're looking forward to trying some of those out as well.
Notes: I used instant rice since I didn't have any leftover in the refrigerator. I used powdered egg for the dough, but a fresh egg for the wash.
Links to related posts:
DIY Minute Rice
Salsa
9.8.23
3/8 cup cooked rice? That seems like a weird amount. Should it be 3/4?
ReplyDeleteI thought so too, but I tried it as is. I think 3/4 cup of rice would be way too much in this recipe. But I understand about the weird amount. I could just go change it to 1/3 cup so it looks more normal. I went back and forth on that. I figure the original recipe must have been double the amount. But that would feed 10-12 people, and most people aren't cooking for a group that size.
DeleteROTFLMAO Becky's "Suffering" from Food Fatigue ALREADY?
ReplyDeleteChuckling you just reminded me to get some more peppers seeds to liven up my "Food Storage Blues" :-)
Nice recipe, much the same dough as tortillas.
No, Becky didn't have food fatigue, but the kids are still highly suspicious of "food storage" (as if they've been eating anything else all their lives--but they get a bit concerned about the straight food storage recipes) and I guess they'd like someone else to be the lab rats at times, especially if sugar and chocolate are not involved. Becky's actually the most patient and understanding when it comes to trying out food storage. She's also a dang good cook.
DeleteGotta have plenty of peppers.
This dough is nothing like tortilla dough, not mine, anyway.
The recipe is pretty good. I think hamburger and taco seasoning would be good as well.
Jennifer when will se see your tortilla dough recipe? Would be the food storage bread list :-)
DeleteHave you ever added ground dry beans or lentils to your bread? Makes a portable meal out of a small loaf.
Hi Michael,
DeleteHere's the post I did on tortillas two years ago. https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2019/02/basic-food-storage-flour-tortillas.html
I have added bean flour to bread dough. It was ok, but extra work to mill the beans. If I had an excess of beans, I'd do it, but I think our diet is well enough balanced right now not to worry about it.
I hate lentils and split peas. I might never be taken seriously as a prepper now.
Thanks Jennifer for the tortillas info, I spent a fair amount of time overseas and ate a lot of FAMEAL. Think Purina Human Chow when it arrives as bags of cook able dog food pellets. The raw version is a mix of 60% corn or wheat, 30% beans or lentils, 10% cooking oil and some vitamins as available. Thin Grey Gruel you see them glopping into starving kids bowls. Tastes Foody. If you cook with it makes decent bread-muffins (adding sugar-honey) and so on.
ReplyDeleteSo thus adding beans is something I've done. I'm not a fan of peas yet but I grow them as field peas for soil improvement and the rabbits-chickens and ducks LOVE it. High Protein feed. Listed as excellent for larger animals also.