Friday, June 14, 2019

Rice Krispies--Don't Believe Everything You Read

Somehow last night I got to thinking about breakfast cereal.  I'm not quite sure why.  Maybe it was because I was tidying up the pantry/laundry room (yeah, not the best combination) and looking at the Rice Krispies, both some new boxes as well as a #10 can of them and a quart jar that I vacuum sealed seven or eight years ago.  And at some point the seal failed, but the lid was still completely stuck to the jar rim, so it didn't seem like oxygen was getting in, but it probably still was.
Sometime during the tidying process I decided that there must be a DIY recipe for Rice Krispies somewhere. So I went to the web, and got three hits.  That should have been a clue right there.  The first two were for essentially the same recipe; the third was for a Youtube of how to DIY Rice Krispies, using the different recipes he found.  

Homemade Rice Krispies
2 cups white rice, cooked
coconut oil

Spread the cooked rice onto a cookie sheet, no more than 1/4 inch thick.  Bake at 275 for 2 hours, until totally dry, but still white.  Cool for five minutes and break into small pieces.

Put 1 inch of coconut oil in a pan and heat it to 375 degrees.  Fry the rice until it is golden brown, about 30-45 seconds.  It doesn't really pop, but it does slightly puff (according to the recipe authors).

I'm trying to be charitable here.  Nothing positive is coming to mind.   Words fail me.  In short, do not waste your time or your money.  The guy in the Youtube tells it like it is.  You see his numerous attempts, which are pretty much failures as well.

His conclusion, and mine:  DIYing it doesn't work.  You will not be fooled, and neither will your children.  Just buy your Rice Krispies.  For us as preppers, they've got an incredible shelf life just by vacuum-sealing them in a canning jar, evidently at least seven or eight years.

I share this recipe for a very good reason:  as a reminder that you can't just take somebody's word that something is going to work.  Whether it's food or something else, you need to try things out in advance to make sure they work, they work for you, and they work for your family.  You need to know that there are absolutely things that do not work, even if some woman on the internet says it does.  

Links to articles about making your own (not)-Rice Krispies and the guy who tells the truth:
https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/homemade-rice-krispies-cereal/
https://theundauntedkitchen.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/make-your-own-rice-krispies/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hTRw5b_1Gw

© 2019, PrepSchoolDaily.blogspot.com 

1 comment:

  1. Arsenic is a problem with many processed rice products. Brown rice can have even more arsenic.

    ReplyDelete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat