Thursday, January 2, 2025

Basic Food Storage--Powdered Milk--Magic Mix

Magic Mix is probably the best thing that ever happened to powdered milk.  Or perhaps I should say, to people who have to use powdered milk and their families.  It's used by everyone everywhere in the food storage world. In a nutshell, Magic Mix is simply dry milk, butter, and flour combined in a large batch and stored in the refrigerator until needed.  Mixed with water and cooked, it makes a simple white sauce, the basis for so many other sauces in cooking.


Here we have the recipe for the basic mix. 

Magic Mix

2 1/3 cups dry milk
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup flour

Combine all in a large bowl with a pastry blender or wire whisk.  Mix until crumbly, like cornmeal.  Store in the refrigerator.

And here is the White Sauce.  I've never even used it alone.  But I figure it's there for a reason.

White Sauce
Yields:  8 oz

2/3 cup Magic Mix
1 cup water

In a saucepan combine Magic Mix and water.  Stir rapidly over medium heat until it starts to bubble.


The real magic starts when you begin adding in other ingredients.

Vegetable Cheese Sauce

1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup Magic Mix
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine water and Magic Mix in a pot over medium high heat.  Stir constantly with a whisk until it bubbles and thickens.  Stir in shredded cheese until melted in sauce.  Serve warm over vegetables.  (I personally like this best over veggies and spiral pasta.  It looks like you put a lot of effort into making a tasty side dish, when actually, you didn't.)


This pudding is seriously good.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to make it for dessert tonight.

Chocolate Pudding
Serves:  4

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Magic Mix
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine Magic Mix, sugar, and cocoa in saucepan and mix well.  Add water, stir over medium heat until pudding bubbles.  Add vanilla and beat.  Cover and cool.

The recipes above are just starting to  scratch the surface of possibilities for using Magic Mix in your daily cooking.  Coming soon will be a post on how to use Magic Mix to make your own condensed cream soups, you know, like cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of celery, etc.

Links to related posts:
Cream Soups and Recipe Replacements
Magic Mix Gravy 
Banana Cream Pie
Beef Stroganoff and Cheeseburger Mac
Nutritional Analysis of Dry Milks
Emergency Baby Formula 

© 2019, PrepSchoolDaily.blogspot.com 
24 may 2020

9 comments:

  1. Can we have more recipes for this magic mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the recipes for the cream soups yet? https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2018/12/basic-food-storage-diy-cream-soup-mixes.html

    Hmmm.... not sure how to put a link in here. It might be easier to go to the date it was posted--December 28. And there is also a recipe for making gravy. It posted on April 5.

    Wow, I'm so flattered that you even asked for more! While I have 200+ drafts and ideas waiting to be written and polished, I'll move up recipes that use Magic Mix. Give me a couple of weeks.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the fast!!! response. New to this site, was recommended by someone on survivalblog. I am looking around and did come across the other recipes...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I'd like a flash drive. How do I email you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it matter what kind/type of flour you use? I realize it will impact the flavor of the mix; just considering how whole wheat or rye flour might work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JD, This works just fine with whole wheat flour. However, I have no idea whether it would work with rye. You could give it a try and let us know. I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. Yes to flash drive. What Operating System will it be capable with?

    ReplyDelete

Basic Food Storage--Pasta