I’m actually writing this post a week before Christmas 2025, but you’ll be reading it in May. And that’s probably a good thing, because most preparedness-minded folk do not procrastinate their Christmas presents. I usually don’t, either, but this past year was something else. So, if you read this in May, then you have plenty of time to order the fabric and make your own pouches before December rolls around.
I spent about an hour this morning making three cell phone shield pouches. They’re essentially Faraday cages for phones. Aaron’s been wanting me to make one for at least six years now. (Ouch, I guess time’s been flying really fast. I bought the fabric well before we moved, and we’ve been here over five years.) Consultation with Blueberry Girl suggested that only one of her siblings would be interested in a cell phone shield, so that meant three pouches total.
Before cutting and sewing, and I wanted to be sure they would actually work. So I draped the fabric this way and that, forming loose and tight enclosures to see what would be best. I didn’t want to use more fabric or time than necessary. A loose enclosure did not work at all. The phone had to be totally covered without any visible gaps to prevent signals from getting through. That precluded making a more attractive case.
So I opted to make a simple extra long tube that folded over at the top. I also allowed a bit of extra space on the sides for a couple of reasons. One, a tight fit would wear out the fabric, and the signal protection, sooner. Two, it would be harder to use.
When I purchased the fabric several years ago, I think silver rip-stop was the only choice. Now, they also sell copper-nickel rip stop that is just as effective and a whole lot less money. Here’s the address:
https://lessemf.com/product/ni-cu-ripstop-fabric/
And the usual disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with this company in any way and receive no compensation from them. I just like the idea of being able to ensure my phone is really turned off when I want it to be.
Nicely done. My take on doing this was finding some decent nickle-copper/faraday fabric on *zon.
ReplyDeleteI tried making some bags with it but finally chose to make a 'RF bandana' instead. I found it easier to just wrap the phone/device with enough material. I did hem the edges, since the material tries to unravel over time.
Besides, you is ever going to pay attention to a 'bandana' :-}
And the *zon fabric works very well at blocking RF signals.
ReplyDelete