I live in earthquake country. Nevada ranks second only to California in seismic activity within the continental US. I’ve recognized the wisdom of always having a pair of shoes right by the bed in case of a major nighttime earthquake. And I’ve never done it. Why? Because it looks messy and because I’d probably trip over them in the night.
However, about 33% of earthquakes will happen at night. And if the earthquake or other window-shattering event is large enough to wake you and suggest the wisdom of getting outside, it might be big enough to break a window. And you might wish you’d had some shoes by the bed.
A few months ago, I came across this most genius idea. I wanted to make them right away, but that would involve getting out Becky’s sewing machine. I finally made it happen today. It’s quick and easy, and won’t take more than five minutes if your sewing machine is already set up. If you can sew a straight seam. And if you know where the sacrificial pillowcases are.
What you need: a king size pillowcase and a threaded sewing machine.
Note that there are no precise measurements for this project.
About 4-6” from the open end of the pillowcase, mark a line parallel to the opening. Stitch the entire width of the pillowcase along this line.
Lay the pillowcase on the table in front of you with the open end towards you.
Mark the midline of the length of the pillowcase.
Fold the open end of the pillowcase up to the midline and pin in place.
Stitch the right side very close to the edge. Repeat for the left side.
Now mark about 6” from the stitched edge and sew straight down to make a pocket. Repeat for the other side.
In the event of a major earthquake or wildfire or chemical spill, etc., you need shoes right by the bed. You don’t want to risk getting glass shards in from broken windows into the feet. You don’t want to waste time evacuating looking for shoes. And you don’t want the shoes on the floor because glass shards are more likely to get in them. What else do you want in these pockets? Notice that you have six pockets, three from folding up the edge of the pillowcase, and three smaller ones right in front of the three deeper ones. Put the shoes and large hand-crank charger in the deep pockets. Put a headlamp or smaller flashlight, wallet, charger, car keys, phone, etc., in the smaller pockets. I added a knit beanie for my husband.
Tuck the end opposite the pockets between the mattress and the bed frame (or food storage buckets, as the case may be).
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.
ReplyDeleteRobert A. Heinlein
Also a really good idea to have a preselected meet up point so you don't wander about yelling for your kids.
DeleteHeartbreaking when we roll up to a house fire and Moms hollering for her kids (who might be at the neighbors already).
Another good reminder--and one which I forgot about with no one at home right now.
DeleteWhen I lived in Florida decades ago you had to keep your slippers on the bedside table at night or the Palmetto bugs would crawl into them on the floor. This would have been a great thing to have.
ReplyDeleteExile1981
I'd never even heard of such a creature until today. What a nightmare. I still can't figure out why anybody lives in Florida or anywhere in the South or Midwest. So many bugs, snakes, and mega storms. I'll take the uncertainty of an earthquake any day.
Deletenot just any shoes - just like any pre-selected emergency clothing >>> able to be slipped on in the dark - nothing to zipper or tie or button - and - most importantly seasonally correct ......
ReplyDeleteGood points. Thank you.
DeleteTake some of the non slip gripper matting. It's sold for under carpets and on rolls for in kitchen cabinets and drawers. Sew it on the underside of the pillow case that is tucked under your mattress. It will help so that it doesn't pull out. Cut a square about the size of the fabric you are tucking between the mattress and box spring. All you need to do is a straight stitch around it.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant suggestion. Thank you.
Delete